Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Mixing Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Stephens
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I was playing a game of Dominion the other day and thought about how I never mix the expansions. I did once but had a poor experience because there were a lot of high cost cards which lead to a money buying blitz that wasn't much fun. Also I keep the games stored in their original boxes so I don't have any easy way to access different cards from different sets quickly and efficiently.

I was curious as to how others deal with mixing expansions. Does it really make the game that much better? Is it worth the effort? Or are there any others like me and feel as though each individual expansion works well enough as a contained experience that mixing them all isn't worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OnlyWonderBoy wrote:
I was curious as to how others deal with mixing expansions. Does it really make the game that much better? Is it worth the effort?

Yes and yes. The effort is significantly lessened by using a card randomizer program. This eliminates shuffling together the randomizer cards from multiple sets and then separating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't mixing at all, you are short changing yourself a little. Dominion is a game about interactions between cards, not just individual cards, so by not seeing how mix across expansions you are missing out.

If you are worried about it being too troublesome, only mix a couple together or use the suggested setups in the rules that involve multiple expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this randomizer for keeping a certain sense of balance.

http://www.hiwiller.com/dominion/

Pick your sets, and you can make it give you cards that supply +1 buy, +2 actions, and trashing. Just randomize until you get a decent balance of 2-3 costs and 4+ costs.

I personally keep all my cards in a single box that you can buy at any hobby shop that people would use to store baseball/magic cards in. I have them all alphabatized for easy access and then you can keep the actual boxes to display or just trash them if you prefer. There's tons of storage solutions if you don't like the quick and dirty method. Just browse the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, look at

Dominion Shuffle

or

Dominion Deck Builder

You can tune up the cost distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird games are what makes it interesting. Always go pure random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's definitely an important part of the game, but some mixes work better than others - mixing Base or Intrigue with a single expansion will usually give reasonably stable results (particularly if you "stack the deck" a little to give roughly equal numbers from each), or you can try one of the "suggested" sets of Kingdom cards in one of the manuals - Hinterlands has suggestions for mixing itself with each of the expansions.

If you have a smartphone, getting an app that lets you have some finer control over the mix can be really useful. I have Dominion Shuffle for Android, and it lets you include or exclude certain cards, and lets you pick how many (minimum and maximum) from various categories including card type and cost, so if you're worried that you'll wind up with lots of high cost cards you can force, for example, a minimum of 1 cost 3 and 1 cost 4 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Hellstrand
Sweden
Molnlycke
Harryda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix as much as possible !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We get the newbie to pick "ten cards that they can comprehend". Works fine so far! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playtesting, I often play with only cards from the set I'm testing, or with one or two other sets. I rarely do full random unless I'm playing online.

Having said that, there are some really fun cross-set combinations that you're missing if you never mix sets.

You don't need full random to mix sets. Here's a method that I've used that keeps the sets separate but still lets you mix it up a bit:
1. Pull out two sets.
2. Roll a d10 and randomly select that many cards from the first set.
3. Randomly select the rest from the second set.
4. ???
5. Profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always mix completely randomly. In fact, the only lone set setup I have ever played in the First Game set up for beginners which I have played a half a dozen times or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
OnlyWonderBoy wrote:
I was curious as to how others deal with mixing expansions. Does it really make the game that much better? Is it worth the effort?

Yes and yes. The effort is significantly lessened by using a card randomizer program. This eliminates shuffling together the randomizer cards from multiple sets and then separating them.

Why would you need to separate them out again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they are from different sets, you can't store them shuffled together, that would just be wrong ..... wanders off to check his games are still all sorted correctly on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
flyingfish wrote:
binaryeye wrote:
OnlyWonderBoy wrote:

Why would you need to separate them out again?

I suppose you wouldn't need to. You could simply shuffle them all and ignore cards from certain sets if you don't want those included. That could get tedious, though, if you've got all the expansions and only want to play one of them, for example. Even so, it's probably quicker than separating them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyWonderBoy wrote:
I was playing a game of Dominion the other day and thought about how I never mix the expansions. I did once but had a poor experience because there were a lot of high cost cards which lead to a money buying blitz that wasn't much fun. Also I keep the games stored in their original boxes so I don't have any easy way to access different cards from different sets quickly and efficiently.

I was curious as to how others deal with mixing expansions. Does it really make the game that much better? Is it worth the effort? Or are there any others like me and feel as though each individual expansion works well enough as a contained experience that mixing them all isn't worth the effort.

Totally mix away. You played one game where the setup was strange. That doesn't mean that all random setups from multiple sets will be like that. And usually most fully random setups are very playable/interesting. Sometimes a bunch of attacks come out and we veto one of them in the interest of time or our mood.

The designer once said that he likes to mix 2 sets at once. It's not that hard to bring 2 boxes around and not that hard to pull cards from just two boxes.

For me, once it got to more than 3 expansions I decided to put all the cards into one white card collectors box with dividers. It's a very common solution that lots of people on here have done. Lots of threads on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life is like a box of random Dominion combinations - you never know what you're going to get.

I use the Dominion Shuffle app with some limiations of the cost of cards and number of cards from each set and I've been very happy with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.