Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Obama Does Something Good rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
I've been a little down on the Obama administration of late, but here's some good news. Apparently, the harnessing of technology for open government purposes is proceeding in ways which should make it dramatically more useful.

For those not familiar with RDF or the semantic web, it takes data about data (metadata) and makes it easily machine-usable. For a familiar example, units are metadata; "60°F" includes "60" at the lowest level of data, but it also tells you that that data is denominated in degrees, and that the degrees in question are of the Fahrenheit scale (which you could even think of as metametadata, though I've not seen that distinction much bothered with). You might also have metadata about when and where that measurement was taken, or what sort of thermometer was used--really any information about the data which might be helpful for some conceivable use. So what's cool about this is that it makes it much easier to put different data sources together in new and useful ways which the government need not have foreseen.

Wired had a piece some time ago about how New York City was using information technology to radically increase responsiveness and learn about the actual concerns of the people. By contrast, The State of the USA was another information technology project for which I had high hopes, and which seemed like a similarly meritorious attempt to empower the people, and it has fallen pretty flat (with no updates this year). Here's hoping this new move fares better; I am utterly delighted with this trend and would really like to see it flourish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You? Down on Obama? Yeah right. This thread is set here so that in the event Obama is booted on his ass out of 1600 Pennsylvania you can always come back to this point in time and say, "Well see! I wasn't an Obamalicker! I was down on him!!!!"

You are so easy to see through Kelsey. Really, it's sad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was guessing 1 hr.
10 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
You? Down on Obama? Yeah right. This thread is set here so that in the event Obama is booted on his ass out of 1600 Pennsylvania you can always come back to this point in time and say, "Well see! I wasn't an Obamalicker! I was down on him!!!!"

You are so easy to see through Kelsey. Really, it's sad.


The treatment of leakers, especially Bradley Manning, has always troubled me. That seems worse in conjunction with the doctrine that people we kill are militants.

All of which said, I'm totally voting for him again. Romney seems to be struggling like mad to find a position to the right of Obama on national security/foreign policy, and that's not easy. So I'm still an Obamalicker.

EDIT to add the gay marriage thing was awesome, too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Romney seems to be struggling like mad to find a position to the right of Obama on national security/foreign policy, and that's not easy. So I'm still an Obamalicker.


Yes, as outlined by Ralph here: http://nader.org/2012/05/30/obama-at-large-where-are-the-law... You can't get much more to the right of Obama in this sphere of governance without invading China.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Yes, as outlined by Ralph here: http://nader.org/2012/05/30/obama-at-large-where-are-the-law... You can't get much more to the right of Obama in this sphere of governance without invading China.
I can't bring myself to thumb this link. Even if it only happened once this makes me disgusted with our government.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
You? Down on Obama? Yeah right. This thread is set here so that in the event Obama is booted on his ass out of 1600 Pennsylvania you can always come back to this point in time and say, "Well see! I wasn't an Obamalicker! I was down on him!!!!"

You are so easy to see through Kelsey. Really, it's sad.


The treatment of leakers, especially Bradley Manning, has always troubled me. That seems worse in conjunction with the doctrine that people we kill are militants.

All of which said, I'm totally voting for him again. Romney seems to be struggling like mad to find a position to the right of Obama on national security/foreign policy, and that's not easy. So I'm still an Obamalicker.

EDIT to add the gay marriage thing was awesome, too.


Why vote for a bad person? Just don't vote.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
theodorelogan wrote:

Why vote for a bad person? Just don't vote.


There's still a lot to like about Obama. The fact that I'm terribly disappointed by some of what he's done doesn't blind me to the good.

But, even if he were awful, a vote for Obama does more to defeat Romney than no vote. Since I think Romney is even worse, that seems like the more responsible choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember when he declared war on Yemen? Me neither.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
EDIT to add the gay marriage thing was awesome, too.


But he didn't do anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Why vote for a bad person? Just don't vote.


There's still a lot to like about Obama. The fact that I'm terribly disappointed by some of what he's done doesn't blind me to the good.

But, even if he were awful, a vote for Obama does more to defeat Romney than no vote. Since I think Romney is even worse, that seems like the more responsible choice.


No, there is nothing to like about a murderer.

"Sure, he is responsible for thousands of deaths...but he is personally in favor of gay marriage!"

Yeah, a murderer is a murderer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
rinelk wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Why vote for a bad person? Just don't vote.


There's still a lot to like about Obama. The fact that I'm terribly disappointed by some of what he's done doesn't blind me to the good.

But, even if he were awful, a vote for Obama does more to defeat Romney than no vote. Since I think Romney is even worse, that seems like the more responsible choice.


No, there is nothing to like about a murderer.

"Sure, he is responsible for thousands of deaths...but he is personally in favor of gay marriage!"

Yeah, a murderer is a murderer.


If there's nobody in the race who wouldn't be a murderer if they won, we can start making decisions based on other factors (like who would murder fewer people).

Put another way, your position, while noble, effectively removes itself from the electorate for the presidency for the foreseeable future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there's nobody in the race who wouldn't be a murderer if they won, we can start making decisions based on other factors (like who would murder fewer people).

Put another way, your position, while noble, effectively removes itself from the electorate for the presidency for the foreseeable future.


Great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
rinelk wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Why vote for a bad person? Just don't vote.


There's still a lot to like about Obama. The fact that I'm terribly disappointed by some of what he's done doesn't blind me to the good.

But, even if he were awful, a vote for Obama does more to defeat Romney than no vote. Since I think Romney is even worse, that seems like the more responsible choice.


No, there is nothing to like about a murderer.

"Sure, he is responsible for thousands of deaths...but he is personally in favor of gay marriage!"

Yeah, a murderer is a murderer.


What are candidates' positions on gay murder?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there's nobody in the race who wouldn't be a murderer if they won, we can start making decisions based on other factors (like who would murder fewer people).


Or, we could stop participating in the false choice they give us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
Quote:
If there's nobody in the race who wouldn't be a murderer if they won, we can start making decisions based on other factors (like who would murder fewer people).


Or, we could stop participating in the false choice they give us.


A "false choice" usually means an apparent choice which doesn't matter. There are differences between Obama and Romney which matter to me. It's sad that they agree on some issues on which I disagree with both of them, but I don't infer from that what you seem to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
A "false choice" usually means an apparent choice which doesn't matter. There are differences between Obama and Romney which matter to me. It's sad that they agree on some issues on which I disagree with both of them, but I don't infer from that what you seem to.

2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.