Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is currently an allegation that one of our new and abrasive players has created himself a sock puppet to play with. If this is true, he has entered a single game under both accounts, which would be a highly disturbing violation of the game. I'd really like to know if the allegation has merit or whether the sock puppet is just trying to act like it's true in order to stir the pot.

This post, and it's following post, illustrate the "joke" based upon that allegation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
There is currently an allegation that one of our new and abrasive players has created himself a sock puppet to play with. If this is true, he has entered a single game under both accounts, which would be a highly disturbing violation of the game. I'd really like to know if the allegation has merit or whether the sock puppet is just trying to act like it's true in order to stir the pot.

This post, and it's following post, illustrate the "joke" based upon that allegation.

Personally, I very much doubt that it's true - I think he is playing along just to provoke people.

Having read several games for both players, I feel like their writing styles and personalities are quite different, despite both being very confrontational individuals. Also, I doubt the number of games and level of activity between them is doable for a single person, and certainly doesn't seem worth the effort at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
The style of play reminds me of the mafiascum players that joined in a few years back - it's possible that you just have two people coming over from a different place that are friends/ online buddies... The abrasive playstyle fits in with two people who would see no problem with claiming to be doing the sock-puppet thing just to troll...

Of course, it's also possible that it's the same person. Without admin-ish rights it's going to be hard to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is an appropriate topic for forum discussion.

http://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules

The following are prohibited:

*snip*

Accusing other users of committing rules violations (e.g. accusing someone of trolling) - See the User Driven Moderating section below

*snip*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puppet of Socks
Brazil
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be a discussion for sock puppets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockworkd wrote:

*snip*

Accusing other users of committing rules violations (e.g. accusing someone of trolling) - See the User Driven Moderating section below

*snip*

So far as I understand, sock puppets are not against BGG rules. They would be, however, a rather strong violation of the werewolf game. So if that makes this discussion inappropriate, I apologize, but I was under the impression that the "accusing others of committing rules violations" was not in conflict with discussing sock puppets because they are not BGG rules violations.

I will cease this discussion until clarification is provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shushnik wrote:

Honestly, after clicking I was surprised about how little you had to base this on. A copy of a post?

IMO part of maintaining serenity is not only not breaking trust but not jumping to conclusions without something definitive.

I think they likely know each other from the other site. Doesn't mean they are the same person . I won't breach a thought like that unless it's clear or something fishy repeatedly presents itself.

FWIW I like Beast. I do tend to enjoy the edge that 2p2 players bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
clockworkd wrote:

*snip*

*snip*

It would only be a BGG rules violation if he was using a second account to get around a posting ban on his first account. I don't believe any rule exists banning secondary accounts entirely, and it isn't a BGG rules violation to cheat at WW.

J can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is fair game to discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
seanp wrote:
The style of play reminds me of the mafiascum players that joined in a few years back - it's possible that you just have two people coming over from a different place that are friends/ online buddies... The abrasive playstyle fits in with two people who would see no problem with claiming to be doing the sock-puppet thing just to troll...

Of course, it's also possible that it's the same person. Without admin-ish rights it's going to be hard to tell.

They are from twoplustwo. With all due respect, this post rubs me the wrong way. It doesn't sound very inclusive. It has a very "them" - us feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they're sockpuppets? I'm not really sure what the basis is for thinking they are, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basis is that Bersicker directly stated that he was beastofburden.

I also assumed he was joking, but he's carrying the joke quite far and I was trying to establish that this may be an issue that I didn't think was appropriate to declare a user moderation "BGG rules violation", because I didn't think it was.

I apologize if this was a poor decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Honestly, after clicking I was surprised about how little you had to base this on. A copy of a post?

IMO part of maintaining serenity is not only not breaking trust but not jumping to conclusions without something definitive.

Bersicker did claim to be Beast here and here. How serious he was being is another matter.

I'd leave this to jfro to resolve, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alright I see it now. Probably not serious. Could be. I agree with letting jfro deal with it unless it keeps popping up.

Communities are hard to maintain with different personalities and new "cultures". There's been a lot of reaction with their abrasive type play and now this. Personally, I feel like such reactions incite more of it. But maybe that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Bersicker did claim to be Beast here and here. How serious he was being is another matter.

I'd leave this to jfro to resolve, personally.

While I don't want to get too involved, it would seem to me like this is the kind of thing that you just don't joke about when you're playing a game like this. If you're playing Monopoly, "pretending" to steal money from the Bank is a bad idea, even if everybody at the table but one person knew in advance you were going to pull the prank.

Long ago I was an administrator for a league that arranged online team FPS matches for various games, and it was made quite clear to players that you don't joke about cheating in multiplayer FPS games (any online multiplayer games really, but I'm speaking from my experience alone) - whether it be making an accusation of it, or a player joking around that they were doing it themselves. It only takes one person taking it seriously or not being in on the joke to start reporting up the chain and cause a major shitstorm.

If it isn't the case that they are the same person, I would simply say, big misunderstanding, please don't joke about that kind of thing down the road, and play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is this an issue in two games?

Jfro's and the Automod?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:

Jfro's and the Automod?

Yes, or I wouldn't have brought it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shushnik wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Jfro's and the Automod?

No worries. So they stated they were the same person in both games or the discussion over it spilled into another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Jfro's and the Automod?

No worries. So they stated they were the same person in both games or the discussion over it spilled into another game?

The claim of Bersicker's spilled over into the other game, which I still didn't give much merit until he parroted a beastofburden post, thereby participating in the claim in a second game.

I believe beastofburden has denied it and claimed ignorance, but bersicker has persisted in the claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/members/212242/

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/members/128476/

Actually doesn't look like Beast has played that much over there. But he was experienced already. Maybe he played at another site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord of Christmas Cheer

a Village
North Pole
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sock_puppet wrote:
I thought this was going to be a discussion for sock puppets

You and me both.

Let's just go get a beer if we're not wanted here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
He starts a whole conversation with himself (at least they both pretend it is, if it isn't) here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9286388#9286388

This is way out of hand and I can't stop it in my automod game since I am playing instead of moderating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Good thing I already vowed to never play in a game with beast after that fiasco a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Good thing I already vowed to never play in a game with beast after that fiasco a few weeks ago.

I feel like any games he's in right now that he's rigging (particularly the automod game) should be stopped/not count. Which makes me very sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from what I've read, I don't care at this point if it's a sock puppet or not. There's jokes, and there's just being an ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Discussion of someone using multi accounts is not against community rules, however if you are incorrect you can alienate one or both users. Word from on high is that if you have these concerns bring them up to an admin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.