Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Spoilers from the rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
For those of you who haven't read the rulebook, there are a bunch of small cards on page 6 which can be read when you zoom in. So here they are:

Collin's Sword meele, sharp, +1 requires: warrior

Leather Breastplate armor, +1 requires: warrior or healer or tinkerer

Maginos' Staff range, magic, +1
When attacking a figure that is on the same space as this mouse, this staff is considered a blunt melee weapon. requires: mystic

Tilda's Mace meele, blunt
When attacking with this mace, add 1 to this mouse's battle for that attack for each wounded mouse that is on the same space as this mouse. requires: Tilda

Dagger meele, sharp
When attacking with this dagger, if the defending minion is lower on the initiative track than this mouse, it rolls 1 less die to defend against this attack.

and now for some abilities and an enemy!

Knife Strike cost: 2 cheese class: scamp
You may use this ability instead of performing this mouse's normal battle action. This mouse attacks once with each knife or dagger it has equipped.

First Aid cost: 2 cheese class: any
You may use this ability as a free action. Remove 1 mound marker from a mouse that is on the same space as this mouse. Healer's pay 1 less cheese to use this ability. First Aid can only be used once per turn.

Inspire cost: 2 cheese class: leader
You may use this ability before taking a turn with this mouse. Until the end of this round, after a mouse performs an action, that mouse may spend 1 cheese to perform 1 additional action. A mouse can only perform 1 additional action in this way.

Chain Lightning cost: 3 cheese class: mystic
You may perform this ability instead of performing this mouse's normal battle action. Choose up to a number of minions equal to this mouse's current lore. Each minion figure chosen is attacked with a ranged attack. The battle value of that attack is 3. Roll 3 battle dice to attack once. Each minion defends separately.

Rat Warriors Battle value: 2 Defend Value: 2
Aggressive: After taking a turn with this Rat Warrior card, switch this card with the one directly above it on the initiative track, if any. Health: 0 (it has no hearts, but this can't be right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this. These sound really fun!

I like that Tilda's mace encourages some thematic tactical positioning (she stands over the wounded, protecting them), and I am liking the power level and cheese costs of the abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameMasterX0 wrote:

I like that Tilda's mace encourages some thematic tactical positioning (she stands over the wounded, protecting them), and I am liking the power level and cheese costs of the abilities.

It is cool this way, but the way the card is written it also gives a bonus if she is wounded( because it says for each mouse, not each other mouse). so she becomes stronger if she is wounded, an automatic +1 wherever she goes. so play recklessly with her at the start to make sure she gets a wound, and always has a +1 bonus.

however, I get the feeling they meant it to only be for other mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
varoan wrote:

so she becomes stronger if she is wounded, an automatic +1 wherever she goes. so play recklessly with her at the start to make sure she gets a wound, and always has a +1 bonus.

So.., the healer also has a barbarian rage ability. That's thematic. Right? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
varoan wrote:

so she becomes stronger if she is wounded, an automatic +1 wherever she goes. so play recklessly with her at the start to make sure she gets a wound, and always has a +1 bonus.

So.., the healer also has a barbarian rage ability. That's thematic. Right? whistle
No she doesn't. But she does have a weapon that helps her fight to protect her fellow mice if they happen to be wounded. She doesn't get any bonus for her own wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
nobeerblues wrote:
davypi wrote:
varoan wrote:

No she doesn't. But she does have a weapon that helps her fight to protect her fellow mice if they happen to be wounded. She doesn't get any bonus for her own wounds.

thanks for clarifying this. But the way the mace is worded in the rulebook, it would give her a bonus if she's wounded, seeing as she's always in the same space as herself, and the card fail to state each other mouse, but instead say each mouse.

does this mean the mouse with first aid wasn't supposed to be able to heal itself, as it has the same wording? It says a and not another, so this would allow it to heal itself as well.

on a side note, I've also made a thread on moving large minions and would appreciate a ruling from someone who helped make/design the game, seeing as people in that thread can't decide yes or no to the question but are divided.(don't take all my questions about the game wrong, I like to question rules that I'm unsure about so the game is played the way it was intended to be played)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
varoan wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
davypi wrote:
varoan wrote:

thanks for clarifying this. But the way the mace is worded in the rulebook, it would give her a bonus if she's wounded, seeing as she's always in the same space as herself, and the card fail to state each other mouse, but instead say each mouse.

does this mean the mouse with first aid wasn't supposed to be able to heal itself, as it has the same wording? It says a and not another, so this would allow it to heal itself as well.

on a side note, I've also made a thread on moving large minions and would appreciate a ruling from someone who helped make/design the game, seeing as people in that thread can't decide yes or no to the question but are divided.(don't take all my questions about the game wrong, I like to question rules that I'm unsure about so the game is played the way it was intended to be played)
Thanks! Good catch. Yes Tilda can heal herself, but she cannot get a bonus from her own wounds when using her mace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ok, that makes sense, that the healer can also heal herself.

my next question(I'm not sure when I'll run out of them) is about maginos' staff. It has a +1 on top of a range symbol in the top corner. Does the staff still give a bonus to melee combat, or only to ranged because that's what the +1 is over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
varoan wrote:
Ok, that makes sense, that the healer can also heal herself.

my next question(I'm not sure when I'll run out of them) is about maginos' staff. It has a +1 on top of a range symbol in the top corner. Does the staff still give a bonus to melee combat, or only to ranged because that's what the +1 is over?
It adds to his battle any time he uses it to do a battle action. The +1 just signifies that it is a bonus to his battle, the bow shows that it hits on bows and can be used at a distance. The weapon special ability breaks this rule a bit and allows him to hit on swords/sword shields when attacking an enemy in the same space. Usually, when you use a ranged weapon, it only hits on bows even if you use it on an enemy in the same or adjacent space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
good to know, i sort of figured this, as if he didn't get the bonus for melee, then why use it? It's more limiting, and has less of a chance of actually hitting, assuming that melee is on half the dice and ranged on one third. he would have a 1/2 chance of hitting with 1 melee power, and a 2/3 chance with ranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the dagger reduce minion defense dice to zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Can the dagger reduce minion defense dice to zero?
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.