Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I use BGG for is finding play aids for games. In the case of a game series, these play aids are often applicable across the entire series.

Would it be possible to get a file section added for the series for such things?

An example:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1328120/operational-comba...

Now this particular player aid was simple enough that it works OK as an image, but it would work better as a document of some sort. However, there are others where images are not a good choice at all.

As it stands now they often get put in the file section of a specific game. Which is handy if the game in the series you are playing happens to be that one. But for a series with more than a handful of games having to cruise the file section for all of them looking for generally applicable stuff gets difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second this request if it helps/is appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
If you subscribe to the family, do you not get notifications of file updates? I know that I subscribe to families and categories (Party Games, e.g.) and get all sorts of subscription notices for images, files, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
If you subscribe to the family, do you not get notifications of file updates? I know that I subscribe to families and categories (Party Games, e.g.) and get all sorts of subscription notices for images, files, etc.

I'm puzzled by your question.

First off, this has exactly nothing to do with subscriptions. So the question focusing around them leaves me confused as to what you are asking. Probably my fault, but am I missing something?

Second, it has an images section, not a file section. That was the whole point, so even if I *were* subscribed, I wouldn't get any notifications about files because they don't exist.

see: Operational Combat Series for a family page. Note the presence of an images section but the absence of a file section. Continuing on with that example, there are a bunch of play aids in the assorted files sections of various OCS games. That means despite being generic to the system you would have to hunt through the file section of ten different games.

Even if a subscription to the family were to cover these (don;t know) I'm not talking about subscriptions. More like a "hey I got a new game and I'm looking for play aids" rather than "I've been following this series all along"

If I'm missing something in your question, I apologize and will be happy to answer if you can clarify what you're asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I just suggested subscribing to the Operational Combat Series and seeing if, by chance, you got every notification of every image, file, forum post, etc for all games within said family. It may work and it may not (for the files part, that is, as I know it works for all other items).

It won't retroactively tell you everything ever posted about the series, but at least you'll be in the loop going forward.

But if you don't want to try it, you certainly don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I just suggested subscribing to the Operational Combat Series and seeing if, by chance, you got every notification of every image, file, forum post, etc for all games within said family. It may work and it may not (for the files part, that is, as I know it works for all other items).

It won't retroactively tell you everything ever posted about the series, but at least you'll be in the loop going forward.

But if you don't want to try it, you certainly don't have to.

I see. Like I said, I just wasn't getting it.

It might or might not work that way. I'll try it to see because I'm curious myself now, but it really doesn't address the issue that the suggestion is trying to address. Also, file additions aren't terribly frequent compared to things like images so it may be a while before I could say if it works or not unless I add a file myself just to see what happens.

Even if it doesn't work, if someone ends up that interested in ongoing stuff, very few series are so big that they couldn't subscribe to the individual games if they wanted to. But this doesn't really address the type of use that I see series files being particularly useful for.

For files, a prime example of the issue I'm trying to address is things like play aids for people new to a series. There are all kinds of handy things that would make learning something easier. This isn't the type of situation that lends itself to subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you that it would be nice to have a files section specific to the series/family. But, of course, then you have the opposite problem--when people subscribe to only one of the games and someone posts a "family" file, they won't see it.

By the way, I don't think your test will work, because I think the file you post would be considered as "already seen" by you, and not show up on your subscription feed. I'm pretty sure that files do come through from the specific game even if you subscribe only to the category or family (at least I'm pretty sure that works for categories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I agree with you that it would be nice to have a files section specific to the series/family. But, of course, then you have the opposite problem--when people subscribe to only one of the games and someone posts a "family" file, they won't see it.

Sure. But you're again talking about subscriptions which is a whole different ballgame.

As far as finding stuff in general, being in the game family section is worse than being in the specific game you are interested in when you go to look, but way better than being in any one of a dozen related games. Two places to look is worse than one, but beats the pants off of six, eight, ten or more. At least provided that you know it's there, which isn't a given since at this point a file section doesn't exist in the second location. Not really sure what to do about that side of it.

Quote:

By the way, I don't think your test will work, because I think the file you post would be considered as "already seen" by you, and not show up on your subscription feed. I'm pretty sure that files do come through from the specific game even if you subscribe only to the category or family (at least I'm pretty sure that works for categories).

Argh. You're right. I don't think I get image updates when they're my images. Because of the file queue I really wasn't planning on trying speeding it up by adding one of my own anytime soon anytime soon anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also suggested here:

Files section for Boardgame Families?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.