Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » News

Subject: Arcane Secrets Revealed - mage class preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Borovikov
Russia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The destructive Runemaster or the ominous Necromancer:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3323
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Borovikov
Russia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!

As Necromancy in 1st edition's Altar of Despair
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


Be patient, my friend. I doubt that we have been shown ALL the abilities available for each class. Who knows.

The wording on the Reanimate seems a bit confusing. "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation" its probably saying you can just attack and move (opposed to attack and attack available to heroes) since the skeleton has movement points. But might be understood as 1 attack is the only option for you to take. Wonder how this guys always manage to get us in the confusing side of things all the time...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


you're wrong :



And the necromancer play with a reanimate on his side ,and..that's cool
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


Be patient, my friend. I doubt that we have been shown ALL the abilities available for each class. Who knows.

The wording on the Reanimate seems a bit confusing. "It may perform 1 attack action during its activation" its probably saying you can just attack and move (opposed to attack and attack available to heroes) since the skeleton has movement points. But might be understood as 1 attack is the only option for you to take. Wonder how this guys always manage to get us in the confusing side of things all the time...


More than likely that is correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:

More than likely that is correct.


Thanks mate. You mean the whole rant or anything more specific?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


you're wrong :



And the necromancer play with a reanimate on his side ,and..that's cool


Wow. This might be the fastest "eat your own words" case I have ever seen in my life.

Poor lizard.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Winter
Austria
Wien
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Army of Death sounds extremely powerful.
Especially if you upgrade your reanimate with other skills.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemeth wrote:
Wow, Army of Death sounds extremely powerful.
Especially if you upgrade your reanimate with other skills.


If we assume (as it seems from the previews shown so far) that you will get around 2-3 XP per quest, that means by the Interlude you could have an Army of Death + Vampiric Blood + Undead Might Combo.

Seems indeed extremely powerful to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like that Leoric's Heroic Feat and the "Break the Rune" ability both indicate that defense dice are rolled separately for all figures affected by the attack, but no mention of this for the "Army of Death" ability. I assume that you always roll separate defense dice for each figure affected by an attack as they could each have a different dice pool but I find the inconsistency in the text annoying.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
[q="Nemeth"]

Seems indeed extremely powerful to me.


but... you need a reanimate in play !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
Acererak wrote:
[q="Nemeth"]

Seems indeed extremely powerful to me.


but... you need a reanimate in play !


Which you get by expending one Action and one Energy and right at the start of the game since is your starting ability...what´s the big deal about it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


you're wrong :



And the necromancer play with a reanimate on his side ,and..that's cool


Cool. That's enough to satisfy me. I was afraid I was going to have to design a whole new class deck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Haven't read it in detail yet, but *hugely* disappointed; you can't reanimate defeated monsters!


you're wrong :



And the necromancer play with a reanimate on his side ,and..that's cool


Wow. This might be the fastest "eat your own words" case I have ever seen in my life.

Poor lizard.


I *did* say that I hadn't read it in detail yet (the preview appeared just as we were closing down at work), and that card was hidden behind a non-obvious link (i.e, not a card title).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I just wish there was a skill that allowed you to have two reanimate tokens on the board at the same time! An army of skeletons to do your bidding! devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

More than likely that is correct.


Thanks mate. You mean the whole rant or anything more specific?


Pretty much the whole thing, including the assumption that the reanimate would more than likely get a move action and an attack action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Now I just wish there was a skill that allowed you to have two reanimate tokens on the board at the same time! An army of skeletons to do your bidding! devil


Wishes come true again. It´s called Army of Death.

Go read the preview and then come back, please. Quick!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
Acererak wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

More than likely that is correct.


Thanks mate. You mean the whole rant or anything more specific?


Pretty much the whole thing, including the assumption that the reanimate would more than likely get a move action and an attack action.


Well, sadly, it shouldn´t be an assumption. But yet it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Now I just wish there was a skill that allowed you to have two reanimate tokens on the board at the same time! An army of skeletons to do your bidding! devil


Wishes come true again. It´s called Army of Death.

Go read the preview and then come back, please. Quick!


I'm pretty certain without needing to check it again that Army of Death does not allow you to place a second reanimate token on the board. Go re-read my post and then come back, quick!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Winter
Austria
Wien
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Do you think this mini looks to impressive? Maybe cut his shield off and downgrade his sword
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering now what kind of variety there will be in the runes, as most of their potential abilities seem to be covered by the Runemaster's skills.

Also, it seems it is possible to give monsters the Poisoned and Diseased conditions, so how do they get rid of them? Not that Diseased would affect them anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Now I just wish there was a skill that allowed you to have two reanimate tokens on the board at the same time! An army of skeletons to do your bidding! devil


Wishes come true again. It´s called Army of Death.

Go read the preview and then come back, please. Quick!


I'm pretty certain without needing to check it again that Army of Death does not allow you to place a second reanimate token on the board. Go re-read my post and then come back, quick!


It does something even better. It places as many "imaginary" reanimates as you have monsters in your LoS (which as we all know means pretty much all the ones in your room) and then all attack at the same time, just to get back into their tombs without giving the OL the chance to strike back, except to the original Reanimate.

And all this at the cost of 2 Energy and one Action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Now I just wish there was a skill that allowed you to have two reanimate tokens on the board at the same time! An army of skeletons to do your bidding! devil


Wishes come true again. It´s called Army of Death.

Go read the preview and then come back, please. Quick!


I'm pretty certain without needing to check it again that Army of Death does not allow you to place a second reanimate token on the board. Go re-read my post and then come back, quick!


It does something even better. It places as many "imaginary" reanimates as you have monsters in your LoS (which as we all know means pretty much all the ones in your room) and then all attack at the same time, just to get back into their tombs without giving the OL the chance to strike back, except to the original Reanimate.

And all this at the cost of 2 Energy and one Action.


I don't care. I want another token.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm wondering now what kind of variety there will be in the runes, as most of their potential abilities seem to be covered by the Runemaster's skills.

Also, it seems it is possible to give monsters the Poisoned and Diseased conditions, so how do they get rid of them? Not that Diseased would affect them anyway.


Lieutenants have attributes just like Heroes. We still have no clue about how regular monsters roll those though.

Runic Sorcery covers some rune variety like poison or freeze type of spells. I would like to see more variety myself as well, like invisibility, teleport.... Hope we get some of those, because for the moment the comparison between the Runemaster and the Necromancer is a bit unbalanced in favor of the later.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.