Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question. Obviously the 3 main Artscow decks form the heart of the game and are necessary to have a complete game, but I have some trepidation regarding the 4th deck as an expansion. From my reading the expansion deck might unbalance the game a bit. It seems that the author himself is not sure that the Black Scrolls are not overpowered and any time you add more cards to a game, you always run the risk of complicating things or unbalancing the game.

What are your honest thoughts regarding the buying and using the expansion deck? Is there enough life in the core game to make it 'complete' without the expansion? Does the expansion add anything that the core game is missing, other than adding more variety?

Thanks much for your thoughts, gang.

Happy gaming,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with all of the available expansions so I can't answer about whether it's better without those cards. However, I find the game to be pretty well balanced (perhaps tipped slightly in favor of the doctor because it's a bit harder to play the master.)

I personally don't find the Black Scrolls to be overpowered... they are powerful, yes, but I think the master would be a bit underpowered without the ability to somehow eliminate his weaker marauders from the timelines. I'm completely guessing here, but my thinking is people who find them to be too powerful are not playing the doctor aggressively enough.

For what it's worth. We've played 34 games and the doctor has won 20 times... many of our games have been very close. Taking into account that in our initial few plays the doctor always won (since getting the hang of master strategy was harder for us) I'd say that is pretty balanced.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Thanks for the quick response too! How have you been using the expansions? Just all mixed in?

Again,
thanks for your expertise.

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MiGo 13 wrote:
Very nice. Thanks for the quick response too! How have you been using the expansions? Just all mixed in?

Yes, everything is all mixed together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's the mix of cards that unbalance the game as much as the number of cards. In my experience, the more cards you add, the more the balance swings towards the Doctor. With the initial set of cards, we were pretty evenly split, but with all the expansions the Master wins at least 2/3rds of the time. What I like to do is deal out about twice the number of cards you need to toss to each player, then they get to pick half of those to leave out of the current game -- that way you can't complain because card X was left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am thinking about a similar thing. Both the Doctor and the Master get their decks, then they tailor their decks to about 65 cards, shuffle and go to town. Hopefully this will be the best of both worlds; a balanced game with a bit of variety in 'deck building'.

Thanks,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you have ordered yet "M13", but if you haven't, I have a spare Artscow deck #4 that you can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the offer, Andrew. Unfortunately, I have placed my order already, all 4 decks. Now I just have to wait. Where's a TARDIS when you need one?

Happy gaming,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.