Asterisk CGY
msg tools
Magical Girl Quest is a co-op board game for 2-5 players. The objective of the game is to defend and defeat the extra-dimensional threat plaguing the town, while still going on with their everyday lives.

This game is designed as a deck building, card game fighting, event driven board game. Players start with an initial deck based on a chosen character, and build their decks by drawing events from around town. Skills and equipment collected this way is then shuffled back into the player's deck to be used in combat. Combat will be played out against an enemy deck, with dice acting as the AI. The game is over when enough plans have been thwarted and the final boss has been drawn out and defeated.

So the thought process I had for this game was:
I need a board game
But I need the combat to be more interesting than chain throwing dice.
So lets use cards
And if its going to be cards, might as well go deck building.
That's still on a board.
And magical girls cause a google search didn't come up with anything.

The idea is for two phases of the game, a deck building phase, and a monster fighting phase.

Deck building phase has the players running around town performing tasks for items and skills.

Combat Phase when a monster appears where players will have to use their decks to defeat it.

This in essence repeats until the victory conditions, which should be unique to the current villain deck, is met, usually with a climactic boss battle.

So far I've been punching in ideas on my blog. Got an idea of the board, card system, how villains are handled, and looking to start coming up with the actual cards.

Here's my blog for the time being.
http://asteriskcgy.blogspot.com/

I could definitely use some questions that did not come from my own head so I can really clarify some of my ideas. Tell me what you need and I will throw what I got out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AsteriskCGY wrote:
So the idea is players start with a deck of something around 16-20 cards, with the mix based off an archetype character card they choose. This goes on until the villain has the right components to stage an attack on the town, in which then the players have to stop and uncover and then defeat the monster controlling it.

Sorry, what goes on, exactly? And what is it that the player have to stop doing when the monster shows up? I feel like you left out a sentence or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
Glad you asked.

So the design for the villain right now is that the villain has its own deck of cards that it gets to draw to form its own hand. Since this hand is not being played by a person, instead I'm having events trigger on card combinations.

For example this one deck is going to be made up of Lieutenant, Monster, and Evil Plan cards. At the end of each turn the villain gets to draw something like 3 cards into a hand of 6. Whenever one of each of these cards show up, an event is triggered, and the Evil Plan is played on the board, and this starts adding to the villain's victory counter.

So the idea is to have the first phase of the game is deck building, where players go around town performing tasks and gathering cards. The second phase is combat, which is when an event such as a monster invasion or evil plan is placed on the board, in which the players should work to stop before losing the game.

In this example this means first "defeating" the evil plan, which reveals the monster, then entering combat to defeat the monster as well.

After this, the game reverts back to phase one until the next event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.