8 Posts

Octopus' Garden» Forums » Rules

Subject: That Crazy Star Fish! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
First, I love the game! Got it for my young girls, but I am really enjoying it because it has more strategy than I expected.

The only thing we have troubles with is that crazy star fish! I have a few related questions...

1) After purchasing it, can you place the star fish anywhere in your garden (except on coral and oyster w/ harlequin)?

2) Can you build a 3- or 4-coral cage" in the corner of your garden in which to place and trap 1 or 2 star fish? (My genius daughter came up with that one.)

3) With 2 normal oyster and 1 oyster w/ harlequin, does the star fish go to the oyster w/ harlequin first if placed closer to it? (If so, does it turn toward one of the normal oysters after it lands in the space adjacent to the oyster w/ harlequin?)

Until my daughter noticed that caging a star fish might be better, we enjoyed building coral "cages" around our normal oysters so that we could stock up on star fish for points.

Along with answers to the above questions, I'd love to hear others' strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheDevax wrote:
First, I love the game! Got it for my young girls, but I am really enjoying it because it has more strategy than I expected.

The only thing we have troubles with is that crazy star fish! I have a few related questions...

1) After purchasing it, can you place the star fish anywhere in your garden (except on coral and oyster w/ harlequin)?

Like any other token, it must be placed in a free space. The restrictions you list are for movement.

Quote:
2) Can you build a 3- or 4-coral cage" in the corner of your garden in which to place and trap 1 or 2 star fish? (My genius daughter came up with that one.)

Yes. The problem with this is that you will be stuck with negative points if you don't allow it to roam.

Quote:
3) With 2 normal oyster and 1 oyster w/ harlequin, does the star fish go to the oyster w/ harlequin first if placed closer to it? (If so, does it turn toward one of the normal oysters after it lands in the space adjacent to the oyster w/ harlequin?)

No, it ignores the harlequin until there are no other oysters left. then it heads there and rests adjacent to it (unless a new oyster gets placed).

Quote:
Along with answers to the above questions, I'd love to hear others' strategies.

Do not fear the starfish. they bring in big points and eat up the negatives. Just make sure you have enough pearls to buy what you want. So don't be afraid to place them relatively close to your oysters. Also, be careful where you place the feather worms as you don't want the starfish to end up being by then and losing you their 2 points at the end of the game.

So timing and position are important factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad you're enjoying the game! Thanks Brian for answering these questions so well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answers, Brian. That helps. Like you mention, I discovered the hard way not to put a feather worm right next to your oyster w/ harlequin. Heh. My starfish came to rest right on it at the end of the game, so I didn't get the points.

Thanks for a fun game, Roberta. I'm always excited to see the game designers interested in their fans. I'm enjoying the strategy, and I love to see my kids eyes light up when they discover some new little strategy to play.

I've seen the diver, parrot fish, and coconut octopus, but I hope to see an expansion with all of them in it one day soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Patnode
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your star fish(s) are caged off by coral with a harlequin oyster, does the star fish ignore those other oysters on the other side of the coral cage and move toward ths harlequin?

If so does the star fish(s) just stop next to the harlequin and make no further moves until a normal oyster is introduced inside the coral cage?

If this is not true then does the star fish just move up and down the coral cage (coral reef) each turn sniffing out, but never being able to reach the oysters on the other side of the cage, and by doing so never returnining to the harlequin oyster?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrymoto wrote:
If your star fish(s) are caged off by coral with a harlequin oyster, does the star fish ignore those other oysters on the other side of the coral cage and move toward ths harlequin?

If so does the star fish(s) just stop next to the harlequin and make no further moves until a normal oyster is introduced inside the coral cage?

Yes. A sea star will only move towards an available (attainable) oyster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fie Van den audenaerde
Belgium
flag msg tools
hello!
I recently purchased your game in Germany (allthough I'm belgian myself ;-)) and enjoy it a lot. however, I have a question about the rules regarding the starfish. I play with two players. I just finished my last turn, and my opponent now has her last turn in which her board looks like this (I removed irrelant tiles though):

now, does she have the choice to first move her left starfish towards the oyster two places further on the right and AFTER that move her other starfish?
in that case, she has the advantage that her featherworms turn to their 2 beauty side, which is a big deal in a final turn when scoring your points.

or is she obliged to move the starfish on the right first, in which case it eats the oyster without harlequin shrimp, which ensures her featherworms stay on their 0 side, since that adjacent starfish lies already adjacent to the oyster with harlequin shrimp aswell.

I hope I'm making any sense here?

also, is there any reason the garden boards are so small? we always feel like the game ends too soon :-) which is off course a compliment to you :-)

and last but not least, I have one remark: I love octopusses and that's one of the reasons I bought the game, the design is incredible (again my compliments). However it is a little disappointing when a game is called octopus garden, there's a large octopus on the box and the game itself doesn't involve any.

anyway,
thanks for your help?
kind regards,
fie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your choice on which order to move the starfish. However, you must always move the shortest distance (Rules: "Sea Stars must move along the shortest route towards the nearest Oyster. "). So whether going first or second, the starfish on the left must go to the oyster on the left as that is only one space away.

I don't know why Roberta made the boards the size she did but the game length seems fine to me.

In this game, YOU are the octopus building your garden. One of the promos is a Coconut Octopus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.