Subject: How good are the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had asked to have this held for me in Germany earlier but the price was still a little more expensive than the regular Swedish box over here and especially compared to a dinged one.

So I haven't decided.

I don't care that much about the quality of the components, the boards actually look worse (?) imho, some others may look slightly better but I've got no issue with the original and all texts would be in German instead of Swedish or English so that's not something which is better =P

Anyhow. That leaves the expansions. How good are they?

I'm not even sure whatever Puerto Rico is a game I should own. For 125 SEK as the dinged one it seems like a no brainer. For 295 SEK it's probably a better buy than Race for the Galaxy. Anniversary one in German would be about 380, in English bought in Sweden would be like 600-700. But it's so not at all worth that =P, so that doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Efrain Rivera Junior
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a game collector, and have played many games. To me, Puerto Rico and the first expansion, is the best board game I have ever played. It IS that good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is better without the expansions. They are really only useful for if you have played the base game so many times that you are bored of it and you just want to add some replay-ability. I've only used them once and that's just because they came with the Anniversary Edition, I'm not sure that I'll ever play the game enough to need them. If it was the only game I owned though then maybe they would be useful.

You should definitely own the Puerto Rico base game though; the only reason not to is if you hate euro games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game group, PR is probably one of the most played games, which was the main reason I purchased the collectors edition. The expansions are a nice addition and provide a little variability. I would say they really add to the game, nor do they take away from it, just add variety. I'm not sure I'd by this edition just for the expansion, it was really the components that drew me (seeing as we play it so much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No-one plays PR at the game club at the university even though it's there.

People don't play Agricola that often either.

The games which hit the table the most is ticket to ride and dominion. Carcassonne and "Drakar & Demoner" (RPG) may to.

For whatever reason they don't have that many of the heavier / more "gamy" stuff and I still haven't got people to play BSG .. (Brought with me, together with Cyclades and Merchants & Marauders (not good imho.))

I'm considering getting / focus on two player games because it's so freaking hard to find someone to play with. I will get DT but probably will get SW to and what about ER?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
In my game group, PR is probably one of the most played games, which was the main reason I purchased the collectors edition. The expansions are a nice addition and provide a little variability. I would say they really add to the game, nor do they take away from it, just add variety. I'm not sure I'd by this edition just for the expansion, it was really the components that drew me (seeing as we play it so much).
But there's not much difference for the components? Thicker cardboard yes but the original is thick and good enough. Metal coins is the big difference but.. Yeah. Not all that necessary really.

(New wooden pieces are of much higher quality of course but it's hard to say you need those or that it matters )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
The thicker cardboard makes all the difference in the world. I also like the new art as well. I think the new edition is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
The thicker cardboard makes all the difference in the world. I also like the new art as well. I think the new edition is great.
Your native language is of course English and mine isn't but my English is much better than my German =P

How would you feel about a English base set vs a German anniversary edition? =P

Also I think the "you get points for this and that" information and such on the new ones seem harder to understand? Or maybe that's just because it's not my native language. I to like the images but the text and VP-information is all "worse" for me since it's in German

We are talking:
17.2 USD for dinged original.
40.6 USD for perfect original.
55.6 USD for German anniversary edition.
105.3 USD for English anniversary edition.

I as said think the original production is just fine. And the anniversary edition isn't a 105.3 USD production if you compare it to something from say Fantasy Flight games or Flying Frog or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Gonjeshk wrote:
But there's not much difference for the components? Thicker cardboard yes but the original is thick and good enough. Metal coins is the big difference but.. Yeah. Not all that necessary really.

(New wooden pieces are of much higher quality of course but it's hard to say you need those or that it matters )

No, not necessary in the least to play the game, but the artwork definitely adds to my enjoyment. You do have a point that the new buildings don't have as much information regarding what their function is, but I've gotten used to the notations. If there is any confusion, the full text (with the building artwork removed) can be found on the flip-side of the building.

FWIW, I didn't even care for the coins, I just use pennies & nickels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
No, not necessary in the least to play the game, but the artwork definitely adds to my enjoyment. You do have a point that the new buildings don't have as much information regarding what their function is, but I've gotten used to the notations. If there is any confusion, the full text (with the building artwork removed) can be found on the flip-side of the building.

FWIW, I didn't even care for the coins, I just use pennies & nickels.
Ah, thank you for that. I had no idea

It would still be in German but maybe better =P

I wonder how they look that way

To me it seem very weird to get it but don't use the coins =P, but then what do I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Barbero
Spain
Madrid
Madrid Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:
Your native language is of course English and mine isn't but my English is much better than my German =P

Also I think the "you get points for this and that" information and such on the new ones seem harder to understand? Or maybe that's just because it's not my native language. I to like the images but the text and VP-information is all "worse" for me since it's in German

We are talking:

I as said think the original production is just fine. And the anniversary edition isn't a 105.3 USD production if you compare it to something from say Fantasy Flight games or Flying Frog or whatever.

Hi, for whom may it concern, here you can still find some copies of the Anniversary English (euro, golden coins) version with a 80 € price:

http://www.dracotienda.com/product_info.php?products_id=1051...

It's not cheap, but it's a beauty

Edited to correct my poor english...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrettiuS wrote:
aliquis wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:

We are talking:

Hi, for whom may it concern, here you can still find some copies of the Anniversary English (euro, golden coins) version with a 80 € price:

http://www.dracotienda.com/product_info.php?products_id=1051...

It's not cheap, but it's a beauty

Edited to correct my poor english...
Thanks but I can (could?) get it for 45 euro so .. But the question is whatever it's worth it, mostly because I could get the original for 14.5 euro slightly dinged but whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for just the expansions, you can get them with the Treasure Chest, along with expansions for San Juan, Witch's Brew, In the Year of the Dragon, Louis XIV, Notre Dame, and Princes of Florence. The individual expansions are often available separately from individuals here on the geek. I believe the Treasure Chest is available in English and German (I have the English Alea/Rio Grande Games version).

The style of the Puerto Rico pieces matches the style of the regular version of the game.

I haven't gotten anyone to play with the expansions so I don't know how good they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.