Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I have today completed our first game thanks to the various people who assisted yesterday.
We only have 2 basic questions.

1) The entry into the Marketplace is either 2 food or 1 franc. If I can convert food into francs, why would I ever need to pay 2 food. Surely I would convert say 1 fish into 1 franc and pay the cost of entry.
Am i missing something obvious?

2) Harvest- when paying the cost at Harvest time at the end of the round, can I pay in both francs and food? Say put in 3 francs and 4 fish if I have to pay 7 food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kredwood wrote:
My wife and I have today completed our first game thanks to the various people who assisted yesterday.
We only have 2 basic questions.

1) The entry into the Marketplace is either 2 food or 1 franc. If I can convert food into francs, why would I ever need to pay 2 food. Surely I would convert say 1 fish into 1 franc and pay the cost of entry.
Am i missing something obvious?

Sometimes you don't have 1 franc to pay. And you cannot pay francs with food: when a price is in francs, you have to pay francs; when a price is in food, you can pay with food or francs.

kredwood wrote:

2) Harvest- when paying the cost at Harvest time at the end of the round, can I pay in both francs and food? Say put in 3 francs and 4 fish if I have to pay 7 food.

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - While you may substitute francs for food, you may not substitute food for francs. It only works one way, including harvest time when you "pay" your crew (this is explicitly stated in the rules).

2 - Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Kred, maybe you got confused by the little "1F" marking on the Fish chit. Ignore these values unless you go to the Shipping Line building. No resource can be converted (back) to money per se. Only francs may be used as food, but not vice-versa.

So, paying 2 food for the Marketplace makes sense if you have an over-abundance of food and do not want to give a Victory Point to your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for your help. We will play again tomorrow and I believe that we now understand the game at last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.