Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
After listening to the rave review from the D6 Generation got sucked into the hype that is Dust Warfare. As my gaming group has invested a lot of time and money to Warmachine/Hordes and there's not enough time to play all the games we have, I was wondering if you could give me an insight on if D:W is something we might enjoy.

I think Warmachine/Hordes is a great game, but there are two things that are turn off for me:

1. Our games seem to become a festival of trying to google if you can pull off a charge or have enough range for shooting. This results a really long, 3-4 hour long, brainburner of a game, which is not fun, just exhausting. The other things you have to remember during the game like different unique abilities of different units and activation order importance don't really help the speed/pondering factor either.

2. The scenarios are like sports. Both sides have matching objectives and both sides know what the other tries to do. Especially the low point games (we play 25 points) tend to ignore the scenario objectives completely as assasinating the warcaster is so much easier.

So the question is: How long is a typical Dust Warfare game and how are the scenarios? Also is there any campaign in the book and if yes how is it?

Then IF I decide to buy into Dust Warfare I have a choice of buying either the original core set or the revised one (100 euros / 70 euros). I understand that the original box is much more value for money and I'm leaning towards it. Then again in one battle report I saw the medium walkers just stood and shot instead of moving and that was just silly. I also dislike the stupid looking Allies medium walkers in the original core box yuk

But the real question for me is which has more balanced army in it for testing out Dust Warfare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The revised one is easier and the best value. It comes with one platoon for each side, Blutkreuz platoon and Ranger attack squad.

You can download the rule book for $20 USD and you should be ready to play. With this size army (>150 AP) its about 1 hour per game.

As far as army is concerned Allies have range and movement. Axis has firepower and tanks. They both play pretty balanced, but right now the Allies have a slight edge. I think this is due to most people playing axis like they do in DT. Axis requires units to heavily suppress the Allies to allow their walkers and heavy infantry troops to finish them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Dust Warfare... not just for the great rules of the game... but being units is a superior experience... Cost is not too much, and figs come preassemble and preprimed... Great deal!

I think the armies are are equally fun to play... to clarify, both sides have tanks... Axis tend to have a better punch... but the allies have a huge walker that can actually carry units across the battlefield...

Allies tend to be quicker and have access to great skills like Jump... but they are subject to losing that advantage if they become supressed...

Axis can't make great "leaps", but with Goriallas and Zombies, they just keep coming, and never get supressed...

Not to mention the new Russian and Air units that were just released... you can't go wrong with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Mudd
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original box is very hard to find and is selling for a premium over the list price. The revised set is very easy to find, so is probably the easier option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacobson
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The original Tactics box set is an OK value IF you can get it at list price or below, which is difficult these days. Keep in mind that the original price was practically a STEAL (at list or discount), and you should consider it an aberration of pricing - do not use it in comparison to the other box sets or separate unit boxes.

The original box set is NOT worth buying if it is more than $110/110 euro. All the units it includes - except for the heroes - are available separately, and often come with extra options. You can get all the units in it at discount for about $130/130euro (minus the heroes) and have more versatility in your army build.

Buying the walkers separately gives you 3-4 options each rather than 2 fixed walkers per faction, and one squad from each faction includes an extra model in the unit box to build an alternate tank-hunter unit.

The Revised Core Set, on the other hand, is special. The units in it are ONLY available in the Revised Core Set currently. It's still a good value, including 3 units, a hero, and a light walker per faction - which by my estimate each faction would cost almost as much as the Revised Core Set itself.

My recommendation:

- Figure out what you want to build. Neither core set may be worthwhile if you end up using less than half the units from them.

- The original box set is fairly balanced army, with each side having a similar build, and being closer to traditional army builds. Revised core needs an extra unit to buff the Allies, but each force is very different: Allies are mostly an assault force while Axis are more of a heavy force)

- If the original core set would be useful to you, AND you can get it for no more than 110 euros, go for it, otherwise buy the units separately for 130 euros. The extra 20 or so euros is worth the flexibility (2 walkers per faction with 3-4 options, each vs 2 fixed walkers).

In the end, neither core set may actually be worthwhile for you. I got the Revised Core Set, but I'm trading away or shelving half the units. I've also purchased separately all of the units included in the original core set, for about 30% more than original list price, and have more options than those who bought the original core set. People think the original core set is a 'holy grail', but it's not that great a deal anymore even if you find it (it was when you could get it for 30% off MSRP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.