Little Neddie Knickers
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
BRRRD EMPR-RR
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's co-worker/friend's family got in a car accident and their 5 yr old daughter will be re-cooperating in their living room for a while (broken leg). Everyone's taken up a collection and my wife thought it would be nice to include a few games.

They anticipate the daughters friends coming over a lot to visit, so we are looking for some game suggestions for this.

Also some games for the whole family. Mom, dad, 8 yr old brother.

Obviously readily available please!!!!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal comes to mind. I think when you're dealing with such a huge gap, the parents enjoyment has to be forgotten. Outside of simple dexterity games, you aren't going to find much that a 5 year can play, and the parents will find enjoyable. So perhaps this, something like Jenga comes to mind as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit - story telling goof-offery (yes, that's a new word, yes you may use it)

Uglydoll Card Game - matching and reaction time stuff. Depending how her cast is set up this one might be a maybe. If she can sit at a table, she should be able to play this one.

Can't Stop- push your luck dice. simple.

Go - Never too young to start! Perfect for long periods of sedentary silence!

All kidding aside though, good luck with it and here's to the little one's recovery. Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is a beautiful and simple game to play and good for a family and the age ranges mentioned.

Hope everyone has a fast recovery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6-year-old daughter likes Sleeping Queens a lot. Its a good game to play with adults who can modify how they act to make things easier/harder for the kid. She also likes Rat-a-Tat Cat. These games can be found in large bookstores as well as gaming stores, and are inexpensive.

My daughter also likes Animal upon Animal, (listed above).

Games adults like just as much as kids that a 5-year-old can play:
Labyrinth and Escape from the Hidden Castle

Forbidden Island is a good family game. Its hard for a six year old to get the whole strategy, but because it is cooperative, you all help each other to get the four artifacts before the island sinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything Family Edition. If the daughter has limited movement (ie. cannot bend forward to see a board or play cards on the table) this should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal upon Animal is good. My four-year-old daughter likes Mystery Garden, by Ravensburger. Also Chicken Cha-Cha-Cha is a good game, and one in which the kids can beat the adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Bausack

My 5 year old is getting in to this. It may depend how comfortable your daughter is with her leg though as you don't want to knock the table and have good access to the playing surface. It would certainly suit the age range.
Cheers
D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! Is pretty good and is taught within minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.