Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago we played a game of Chaos In the Old World after not having played it for a year, at the request of a friend who wanted to learn. Since it had been a long time, we needed to recheck one or two items in the rulebook, and hit one that I kept feeling like we must have played wrong before. It seems strange that we would have, since it would mean two different sets of experienced players both also taught the same wrong way, and that we missed it in when we actually read the rules - but sometimes it's easy to miss something when you "know" how it should be.

This led to puzzle over a few other things that I think we are playing right, but that comments online lead me to think otherwise about.

1) When a region is ruined, the ruiner bonus goes to anyone who placed a corruption token in that region this turn and:
A) Is in addition to the first or second place bonus.
B) Is only awarded to powers not receiving 1st or 2nd place.

I think that (A) is correct. So if first place is 6 points and the ruiner bonus is 3 points, the first place player gets 9 points total (assuming they placed a corruption token that turn). Correct?

2) When a region is ruined, you no longer place corruption or cards there or count dominance for the region. But you DO still:
A) Leave figures in play in that region.
B) Fight battles in that region.
C) Add DACs to Khorne for winning battles in that region.

Are those all correct?

3) If you re-summon the only figure you have on the board, you are allowed to place it anywhere on the board, not just in an adjacent region, correct?

Then, for the session report request. Can anyone point me to a session report featuring Khrone going for all-out attack dial advancement strategy (and not suffering horrendous luck ) in which either:

A) A different power wins by dial advancement.

Or

B) The other 3 powers do not all actively work to stop Khorne from turn 1, and Khorne does not win.

Thanks in advance for any advice or links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) A is correct. It is a bonus for all the contributed which means, in your example, first gets 9 points if he contributed this round.

2) All correct.

3) No, not correct (though I need to double check). You are still "occupying" your current region so you must "walk" to an adjacent region. If you have no figures on the board, then you may place again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

3) No, not correct (though I need to double check). You are still "occupying" your current region so you must "walk" to an adjacent region. If you have no figures on the board, then you may place again.

I kept re-reading this darn rule. Let's try to figure this out
It says that when you remove a figure, that you may choose to then place it as though that figure was still on the board for adjacency.

So if you've got one cultist in Norsca facing imminent death by bloodletter, and the rest of your pieces are in the Empire, you could still re-summon your lone cultist in Troll Country, by the "may count as being still on the board for adjaceny rule".

However, the rule specifically says "may", so if you pick up your ONLY piece on the board, you could say "I'm not counting it as adjacent" and therefore place anywhere on the board, as you currently have no pieces on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Let's try to figure this out

Okay. Here's what the FAQ says:

Q: When you choose to move your only
unit on the board, can it be placed in any
region or must it be placed adjacent to the just
vacated region?
A: It can only be moved into a region adjacent to its
origin region.

Have we figured it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
The example in the rules refers to a situation where you also have figures in another region(s) when summoning the last remaining figure from a region.

The "may" refers to the fact that you do not have to place next to your other figures on the board, you can also use adjacency to the figure you remove from a region.

From this you can infer that the figure still counts as being on the board during the summoning and therefore if you have no other figures on the board you must place adjacent to where the figure was. That is how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Okay. Here's what the FAQ says:

Ok. That bit of errata is going to throw a wrench into some things

Actually, I guess it won't throw much of a wrench since I think most of our games were played that way. It was only when we checked to make sure we were doing it right that we then got it wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you have already made up your mind, Brian. You decided to rate Chaos a 1 because it does not work for you. Fine. Why come back and beat a dead horse a couple of times over ? The game is still intriguing you, right

You have not been open minded to what people tried to tell you before so why would you now ?

If you want session reports and strategic advice you know well how to find it here on the boards. There is plenty of it. If you just came back for flaming, give it a rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh? There's nothing that looks like flaming to me in Brian's post. I, for my part think it is always great when people who first did not like a game decide to give it another try - even if their opinion ultimately stays the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not obviously, but maybe subtly.

Because he asked the same thing before and he turned down everything that was suggested. And you can find session reports and strategy guides already posted. I guess Brian is able to browse the boards and find what he desires.

I was otherwise wondering what the reason of this post was when the answer is there and has been presented before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You decided to rate Chaos a 1 because it does not work for you. Fine. Why come back and beat a dead horse a couple of times over?

Because, as you can see from my comments, I think CitOW is a really fun game that has some major flaws that get in the way of enjoying it. I've posted before asking for help identifying rules errors and tactics/strategies that could be leading to these problems and, well, let's just politely say I wasn't given anything useful and move on.

If we'd actually been getting #1 wrong and not giving the ruination bonus to 1st place, that's a pretty major rules error that could lead to messed up play!

If you check my comments, you'll also find that one of my complaints about CitOW is how scripted the upgrade cards are and how several of them are never useful to use. I certainly appreciate your thread on Modding the Upgrades as it's addressing the exact same thing and has some good ideas.

Finally, yes, I can search session reports myself. I've read quite a few but I've never one found giving helpful examples of the situations I'd like to see. I figured someone might be able to just point me to one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.