Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always thought that it would be cool to work for a company that gave you the option of choosing the day of, before or after your birthday, as a paid personal Holiday. and/or the Government declared it to be your very own National Holiday that companies would have to obide by and pay you for the day off.

Discuss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a squadron commander once who would give a one-day pass to you as a birthday present, for you to use whenever you wished that year (handy, so if your birthday was on a Tuesday or something, but you'd rather celebrate with a three day weekend sometime, gave you flexibility...)

It's not ironclad - military passes still have to be approved, so there may be times you can't use it, and it still has to be planned in advance (removing the option to just wake up one morning and go "Eh, not today!" and stay home) but it's close to the spirit of what you want - and I have to admit, a pretty popular policy.

Of course, I've never seen a commander do this since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife works for a non-profit and one of their perks is an extra day off in the month of your birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
My wife works for a non-profit and one of their perks is an extra day off in the month of your birthday.

This was at a hospital I worked for... after two years your birthday was your eighth holiday.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
As an employer, I think that this concept is silly and completely unnecessary. Not to mention, extremely selfish.
You are penalizing the company that you work for, by taking a day off that could also be an important one to the company (meetings scheduled/ reports due/ payroll needs to be met/ etc/ etc).
And, what if your birth date falls on a weekend? Do you then get a Friday or a Monday off? That day isn't your birthday.
Is it fair to the employee who is born on a holiday already? Or do they get special compensation, as well?

Everyone has a birthdate, but it is just a random date that truly means nothing, in the grand scheme of things. You are not special. Your birthday is not special to me, or to your fellow employees. Get over yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and also, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My employer "suggests" you take one of your floating holidays on your birthday. I guess some people might actually do that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
My company gives us 5 personal choice days a year that we can use whenever we want them. I guess they would say if I wanted to take my b-day off, I am free to use one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My company gives us 5 personal choice days a year that we can use whenever we want them. I guess they would say if I wanted to take my b-day off, I am free to use one of those.
All our time off is "discretionary". I have 4 weeks paid off to use however I see fit: sickness, personal time, well-days, vacation. This seems pretty good to me - no games played about playing hooky and using "sick time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
As an employer, I think that this concept is silly and completely unnecessary. Not to mention, extremely selfish.
You are penalizing the company that you work for, by taking a day off that could also be an important one to the company (meetings scheduled/ reports due/ payroll needs to be met/ etc/ etc).
And, what if your birth date falls on a weekend? Do you then get a Friday or a Monday off? That day isn't your birthday.
Is it fair to the employee who is born on a holiday already? Or do they get special compensation, as well?

Everyone has a birthdate, but it is just a random date that truly means nothing, in the grand scheme of things. You are not special. Your birthday is not special to me, or to your fellow employees. Get over yourself.

Well then...lol

I see it as, most employers offer floating holidays for the employee's. So in essence, the Birthday off, would be the same as a floating holiday, yet it is more controlled. A floating holiday can be taken pretty much whenever the employee chooses. Birthday off would take place in one of 3 days out the 365 days of a year (day of, before, or after). So for the Employer, this should make ya happier in ways. Because now, you know when it happens, you make proper arrangements to cover the tasks needed to be done, etc..

And I disagree. A Birthday is an important day. To the person whom Birthday it is, as well as the family of. I feel bad for those who don't enjoy their birthday.

So I will not get over myself

We celebrate our independance day here in America. That's a 'birthday'.. Yeah it's a country wide birthday and has a bit more meaning. But, so does the day you were freed from the womb safely and allowed to live on this planet! (K, now I am just getting sappy and corny )

Anyways...

I feel like you assume I meant EVERYONE gets your birthday off. When I meant YOU personally, and solely, get your birthday off. Just to be clear. I think you get that, but there was a comment in your post that made me think you may not have, idk...

One day off is no different than a holiday off or a floating day off or a sick day. With the planned days off you at least have time to plan for someone to cover your duties.

And for those that disagree with having their birthday off, forfeit it and maybe earn a floating holiday, or just forfeit it altogether and just work it instead.

But to just have the option, without having to use vacation time, would be nice is all. Am I looking to start a petition to send to the President? nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My birthday is Monday. I'm taking off but using a personal day.

The office manager is baking me a cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Bah! Humbug!

There, fixed that for ya...

(Added the bolded text.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my cat's birthday on Thursday. I think I should get the day off of work with pay, since she's such an important part of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, assume that there are 200 people working at a factory. 15 of them have a birthday on the same Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday of the month and they all decide to take a day off on Friday. The other 185 people have to take up the slack. But who cares, as long as they get a day off?

Your birthday is not important. It is just another day. It has no bearing on anything, except when a government says that you can go to a movie, or drink alcohol, or get married, or fight in a war.
Yes, you can celebrate whatever you want, and celebrations are important. But your relative position on the earth, as it goes around the sun, needs to be celebrated? How special for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
If a business did this voluntarily that would be nice but I would strongly oppose a government mandate of this nature.

Happy Friday,
Redward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:
I have always thought that it would be cool to work for a company that gave you the option of choosing the day of, before or after your birthday, as a paid personal Holiday. and/or the Government declared it to be your very own National Holiday that companies would have to obide by and pay you for the day off.

Discuss

We used to get this as an option, only because Alberta had a "Family Day" that Ontario didn't have. So they gave us our birthday as a way to equalize the field (we have offices in Calgary as well as Toronto and Vancouver).

So then Ontario brought in "Family Day" the company could have just kept the birthday and given the Clgary office their birthdays off (it was a small office, 20 employees maybe). But instead they went the cheapest route possible and cut our paid birthday.

If our office can do it dirt cheap and piss off its employees in the process, they will go full steam ahead. Sometimes I think they go out of their way to destroy morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Ok, assume that there are 200 people working at a factory. 15 of them have a birthday on the same Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday of the month and they all decide to take a day off on Friday. The other 185 people have to take up the slack. But who cares, as long as they get a day off?

Your birthday is not important. It is just another day. It has no bearing on anything, except when a government says that you can go to a movie, or drink alcohol, or get married, or fight in a war.
Yes, you can celebrate whatever you want, and celebrations are important. But your relative position on the earth, as it goes around the sun, needs to be celebrated? How special for you.

My Mom thinks I am special

I see your arguement, I do. To me though, I work in an office of a LOT of people. 3 buildings, 2 floors each, each pretty damn long. My birthday comes, and it is customary for desks to be decorated. I walk two of the buildings daily, and I have never seen another with my same birthday (i.e. no decorated desks). Not that I take visual confirmation that nobody has my same birthday, nor do I accept that others don't share the same birthday as each other.

I just can't justify why having the chance of multiple people being out of the office at once, as the end of the world..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
If a business did this voluntarily that would be nice but I would strongly oppose a government mandate of this nature.

Happy Friday,
Redward

Honestly, this is where my arguement sits as well. I just mentioned the Govrnment idea, to provoke more thoughts/discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If my birthday is ever on a Saturday, I get to attend graduation instead. So the weekend adjacent to my birthday will always be graduation (so I get to be at work for five extra hours), or baccalaureate the night before (so I get to be at work an extra three hours), or on the Sunday that restaurants are the most packed (aside from Valentine's Day). Given, I don't have to go out to eat for my birthday, but it was always a nice thing to. So Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are out for dinner. I will almost always work the Saturday before that, and the weekend after that is someone else's birthday.

So, yeah, I'd like to be able to take my birthday off. Just to be able to spend a little time with my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I retired with a pretty good pension so every day of the year serves as a paid holiday.

What I really could use is some time off from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
What I really could use is some time off from BGG.
True; this chit-chatting can be a lot of work sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really a grumpy old man/ boss. I, too, was provoking people to get discussion going.
But I really do believe that the older you get, the less you care about your birthday. It really is just another day, to thank the heavens that you're alive and breathing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:
Not that I take visual confirmation that nobody has my same birthday, nor do I accept that others don't share the same birthday as each other.

I just can't justify why having the chance of multiple people being out of the office at once, as the end of the world..

Your office is exceptional, perhaps. Check out this link from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

It basically states that 99% of the time, if you get 57 people in one place, at least 2 people are going to share the same birthday.

I personally know five people who were born within 2 days of each other (April 23, 24, 25) and yet another person on the 27th.

I was at the pub last week and one girl we were with had the same birthday as a server did, and a kitchen worker was the next day.
So, in that case, if two staff members took the same day off (I'm stretching your original concept, but still), that leaves two people left to do the job that normally requires four, just to keep up.
It isn't the end of the world, but the owner will potentially lose business on that day if his other server and kitchen worker can't keep up with demand. Unacceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I'm not really a grumpy old man/ boss. I, too, was provoking people to get discussion going.
But I really do believe that the older you get, the less you care about your birthday. It really is just another day, to thank the heavens that you're alive and breathing.

I've seen 58, hope to see a few more, but we don't celebrate them anymore.

I get e-cards from my kids and we facetime.

Woot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The worst was in high school and college when my birthday fell on a federal holiday and I still wouldn't get the day off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.