Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Chase
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just taught myself this game and tried playing solo last night a couple of times. I'm in the introductory quest using one of the basic decks (the one with Aragorn). Both times I played I seemed to make extraordinarily slow progress and abandoned both times after an hour or so. The only time I was getting progress tokens was as a card effect from scout cards. With my three heroes I have a maximum willpower of five, but both times the staging area choked quickly with location cards, so that even with one as an active location I had a threat of seven or more to overcome each turn. Getting enough points to get through a location card let alone a single quest card seems almost impossible before the counter gets to fifty. Am I just unlucky or do I seem to be doing anything wrong? I've read pages of threads and have reread the rule bok several times so I think I'm playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wonderful world of basr game single sphere decks.

My advice.

Try again, and go with a multi sphere deck.

Leadership / Spirit or Leadership / Lore are the better base game combos.

If this doesn't work for you - take a look at some of the excellent session reports in here and try to play along - you may well have a single rule wrong, and that can make a difference in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A common rules mistake:
The threat from locations to which you have traveled and enemies with which you are engaged does NOT count against your will for determining questing.

The first change you should make to your deck is adding 2 more copies of Gandalf.

Keeping up with locations in the early going so they don't build up is crucial. You should only be revealing 1 card per turn (with 2 in the staging area to start), so as long as you are travelling to 1 a turn if you get nothing but locations you should be facing about 2-3 threat per turn. If you quest with all your heroes, that should allow you to make 2 progress a turn. That gives you time to get down allies and get ahead of the locations.

There certainly are some nasties in the first quest that can show up and ruin this plan but it should work a decent amount of the time.

I'm going to run the first few turns of the quest real quick and give you a session report.

My opening hand is Silverlode Archer, Steward of Gondor, Son of Arnor, Grim Resolve, For Gondor! and Sneak Attack. Normally, I'd want at least 2 will in my opening hand, but I have an ally which can quest for 1, an ally which helps with questing (Son of Arnor can pull enemies from the staging area before questing) and the powerful Steward of Gondor. I keep.

I draw Common Cause, play Steward on Aragorn - use it for resources, and then play the Silverlode Archer. I now quest with all 3 heroes, using Theodred's ability to put a resource on Aragorn and then using that resource to ready Aragorn. I draw Necromancer's Pass from the encounter deck. Questing for 5, facing 6, I am unsuccessful and gain a threat (30). I travel to Old Forest Road, readying Gloin. I engage the Spider, defend with Gloin. No shadow. Gloin takes 2 damage (and gets 2 resources). I kill the Spider with the Archer and Aragorn.

End of turn 1, I have 31 threat, Old Forest Road is the active location, and Necromancer's Pass is in the staging area.

Turn 2. I draw Longbeard Orc Slayer. I play it. I quest with all 3 heroes, using the Theodred / Aragorn trick again, and also with my Archer. I draw Caught in a Web which goes on Aragorn. I have 6 will, facing 3 threat, I clear the Old Forest Road and travel to the Necromancer's Pass, discarding Common Cause and Sneak Attack at random.

End of turn 2, I have 32 threat, Necromancer's Pass is the active location, and the staging area is clear.

Turn 3. I draw Snowbourn Scout, play it and put the token on the Pass. Again, I quest with everything with >0 will, readying Aragorn. Encounter deck gives me Mountains of Mirkwood, I make 4 progress clearing the pass and putting 3 on the quest. Travel to Mountains, revealing a Forest Spider which I engage. I block with the Scout, shadow card is King Spider - I exhaust the Orc Slayer and then do 2 damage to the Spider with Aragorn.

End of turn 3, I have 33 threat, Mountains of Mirkwood is the Active location, the staging area is clear. I'm engaged with a Forest Spider with two points of damage.

So that was a smooth start. Caught in a Web on turn 2 was a nice draw, because Aragorn's ability mostly neutralizes it and the Steward does the rest. I did face plenty of the big locations, though - and I didn't draw my stronger questing cards (Faramir, Gandalf, Brok, C Stone). Hope this helps give you a sense of how the quest is beatable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chase
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for that. It confirms that I am playing correctly but I see that I did just get bad luck pulling predominantly locations on the first few turns. You've also revealed the tactic of drawing an enemy with an ally before the questing stage. I was wondering what the value of that was. When you say you used a resource to ready Aragorn again I presume it was through playing an action.
Thanks again and I'll let you know how I go tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep some games you can be unlucky , what i like about this game its not easy to win .when you are new to the game, i almost gave up up on the game lol ,but know i love the game even when i lose ,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Podicle wrote:
... When you say you used a resource to ready Aragorn again I presume it was through playing an action.
Thanks again and I'll let you know how I go tonight.

You're welcome, and good luck, have fun!

I was using Aragorn's Response ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Podicle wrote:
You've also revealed the tactic of drawing an enemy with an ally before the questing stage. I was wondering what the value of that was.

If you mean engaging an enemy, he's doing that to also keep the threat down in the staging area. Engaged enemies no longer contribute threat during the quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
Podicle wrote:
You've also revealed the tactic of drawing an enemy with an ally before the questing stage. I was wondering what the value of that was.

If you mean engaging an enemy, he's doing that to also keep the threat down in the staging area. Engaged enemies no longer contribute threat during the quest phase.
The classic combo here is to engage a big baddie, and the play forest snare on them, so they do not even get one swing in at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chase
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm trying to get another go at it this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The classic combo here is to engage a big baddie, and the play forest snare on them, so they do not even get one swing in at you.

you need a feint in tis combo - you engage the monster at start of phase 5. It attacks you during phase 5. Forest snare can't be played before phase 2 of the next round. So you have to play a feint or take at east one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:

you need a feint in tis combo - you engage the monster at start of phase 5. It attacks you during phase 5. Forest snare can't be played before phase 2 of the next round. So you have to play a feint or take at east one attack.
Not at all. Read the details. This is about playing Son of Arnor in the planning round, and choosing to engage a big, bad enemy. Then, still in the planning phase, you play your Snare on the baddy. When the combat phase comes round, it is unable to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so you need son of arnor intead of feint for this combo - still the combo needs one more card than you mentioned before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
OK, so you need son of arnor intead of feint for this combo - still the combo needs one more card than you mentioned before.
No. I was responding to posts explicitly about playing Son of Arnor. Somewhat was asking what the point was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is two cards that combo with snare... everybody's happy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
No. I was responding to posts explicitly about playing Son of Arnor. Somewhat was asking what the point was.

sry - I missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.