Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Cutter
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am familiar with the game/rules...(however, I am a NOOB at ACTS..but, I'm sure I can figure it out). Do we have enough players out there interested in starting a 6-player PBEM game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ruggiero
United States
Smithtown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure whats ACTS, but I just got the game and have played 3 games (one vasal - 2 board) so still kinda green. But I would give it a try. even if it was a just 2 players.

Fleanbilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for a game using Vassal and ACTS (http://acts.warhorsesim.com/login.asp), which is a very useful card-tracking/dice-rolling website. I'd suggest using Dropbox for exchanging logfiles as well.

Played about 3-4 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ruggiero
United States
Smithtown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am good with that, but I do have a better way then dropbox. I have a website (small one) that I create fourms for games. You can post a message and file and it will email eveyone. really good for keeping a history. I am in a 246 turn DS game, and it works great. eveyone gets an email...and you can talk alittle smack.

www.onlineleagues.org its mine and free and I can program anything we need. I am ready....are we waiting for 6 players?
Fleanbilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
msg tools
I am looking for a game. 1 game as prots, but like to try someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to join if there is still room. I have played a couple of times, but it has been a long while. I haven't used Vassal, just Cyberboard, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we have six interested players. We should iron out some things to ensure we have agreement and can set up a game.

I'm not really in a good position to honcho this game, but am eager to get started so will pose some questions.

--Main Platform: Vassal or Cyberboard? I use a Mac so can't use Cyberboard. Is there agreement to use Vassal? John: Check out www.vassalengine.org. There is a tutorial and good support for the Vassal platform. You would need to download the Vassal engine and then the module for HIS.

--Card Management: I've only played HIS PBEM once. We used ACTS to manage the cards and do the die rolls, which worked very well. Chime in if you have any objection/alternative.

--File Transfer: Fleanbilly has volunteered to set up www.onlineleagues.org. Chime in if you have any objection.

--Pacing: I would prefer allowing at least 3 days (preferably 4) for diplomacy phases (some of us are in Asia, others US). I'm looking for the game to move reasonably well, but I occasionally have real life and connectivity issues (I'm in Afghanistan) meaning it will take me 24-36 hrs to be able to make a move. I propose an expectation that you usually make your move in 24 hrs, but certainly within 48 hours unless you have given prior notice.

--Power Preferences: Here are mine top to bottom:

Protestant
France
England
Ottoman
Papacy
Spain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal and ACTS seem like the way to go. I am fine with the pacing Ground Pounder describes. I don't have a side preference myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent GeekMail to Fleanbilly, Chris S, and Patrick, asking them to post here if they're OK with the game conditions the rest of us have proposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cutter
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just responded back to you..... yes, I am interested in playing using Vassal/ACTS.

My preferences are.....

France
England
Ottomans
Hapsburgs
Papacy
Protestants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ruggiero
United States
Smithtown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in,
Vassal is the way to for sure. Not sure about ATCS, why do you need it?
I can set up a forum to post. on my site

I don't care who I play...

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill: The cards are the key to the game and ACTS does a great job managing the deck and everyone's hands. You can easily see who has played their home cards or not, which cards are in the discard pile, which cards have been permanently removed from the game, etc.

Besides that, ACTS, can also be used for other utilities such as die rolling, tracking VPs, alerting all players via email when somebody has taken an action in the game, and maintaining an archive of all activities.

While you could probably recreate all of this on your site, it seems to me that you would essentially be recreating the wheel. Perhaps if we play with ACTS this time, you'll notice some things you could improve on with your own forum/site, but for HIS and many other CDGs ACTS is a proven platform that is ready to go.

If we want to move the discussion to email, I'm at gromitspaw@yahoo.com.

Best,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized I haven't shared my email yet. It is jfm399@gmail.com.

I haven't heard from chris81 yet. So unless he gets back to us (or has already emailed some of you?) we only have 5 confirmed interested people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
msg tools
Vassal/Acts I have used before and are fine. File transfer method, I've never used that one before. There is also drop box or even just email, I don't have a preference.

My email is csalatiello@yahoo.com

Power preference?

Otts
France
Hapsburgs
Papacy
england
Prots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim asked to move this discussion over to email. So if Billy and Patrick could share their contact info that would be great.

It looks like we have three powers spoken for:

Ottomans -- Chris
France -- Patrick
Protestant -- gromitspaw

The rest of us have said we don't care so (speaking for myself at least) random assignment for the other powers seems fine.

I have never used Vassal before so I am not sure how to go about setting up the game in that. Maybe someone else who is more familiar with it could give that a try.

Out of all the tools we're talking about using to facilitate this game ACTS is the only one I've used before. So of course I am inclined to stick with it. As gromitspaw says, it does a good job of tracking the cards and the overall game state. The only thing it doesn't have is a map (at least I think that's all that is missing). So what I was assuming was that we would use Vassal to track the map status, and ACTS for everything else. In this scenario, Billy's site would be useful for posting move files so that we aren't constantly spamming each other.

I can see how there might be other ways to work this, though. If someone wants to propose an alternative, I'm all ears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ruggiero
United States
Smithtown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get the game started we need your email address, Billy. And also Patrick's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ruggiero
United States
Smithtown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my email is fleanbilly2@gmail.com

www.onlineleagues.org for vlog posting...

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.