Subject: WellyCon 2012 - first timer's thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blaise st-laurent
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been to more than my fair share of wargaming, comic and anime events and been to CanGames (canadian gaming convention) a few times but this is the first event that honestly blew me away.

The atmosphere was great, everyone was super friendly, well organized. But what really got me was how knowledgeable the "green shirts" were. It's so nice and refreshing to be able to pick a random game and find a volunteer who's played it at least enough to be able to explain the basics and "run" the game so everyone has fun. I got to try 7 wonders which has been on my to play list for a while got to try a cooperative game i'd never played (Elder Sign) which is something my gaming pals aren't too big on. I even got to teach someone to play an old favorite, Lost Cities.

Just wish i'd made plans to be there for the whole weekend.

The "newbie" pricing was great.

Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll have to be more organized next year and make the trip up north for my first WellyCon, too! Glad to hear you had a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda A
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It was definitely a great way to pass my weekend. I'd have to agree with you; I'm not sure the atmosphere could have been better!

So glad I decided to go both days, I won a small raffle and bought a game as well. I've tried so many new games this weekend I think my brain might have deserved a few days break

NB, I've actually never been to a convention of this aptitude(Armageddon doesn't exactly count - at least, I'm not counting it ). I couldn't be more impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From an organiser's point of view this was the largest Wellycon and it felt like the smoothest so far. Thanks to all you people for coming along, bringing games and teaching each other and those who pitched in to help with the clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great weekend!

Ian, Andrew and the team, a really big thank you for all the work that you did making the weekend such an amazing experience. I got to meet some great new people and play some great new games including Eclipse, Alien frontiers, Airlines Europe, Santiago de cuba and many others.

I want to thank all those present for their support of my as a rental game supplier, it was neat to have some great conversations about the membership offer.

As most people were flat out gaming and could get to leave the tables and look through our catalogue and the offer - I've lengthened the BoardGameRentals special on the 6 month Rental Membership - it now ends on Thursday 7th June.

Most fun moment
: a toss up between winning a rather loud anf roaring filled game on king of Tokyo at 10pm on Saturday or the successful application of my 8 year sons strategy - run away as soon as you can in Incan gold to win the final 8 player game on Sunday evening. Great game fun of lots of laughter.

Thanks again, and now to try and get back to sleep - still ona buzz from the gaming.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, everyone. New games I played over the weekend:
-Merchants & Marauders
-Black Friday
-Ora et Labora

Running a 7-player game of Elder Sign was a highlight, but really all the games played and people met were fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for making me feel welcome. Great fun- well done guys.

For me lots of high points-

Meeting everyone; if I start to list names I'll miss someone so I won't ... OTHER than the sponsors, David and Peter, the organisers, Andrew (who I already knew), Ian, Peter... other people and the awesome people I played games with, and it was great none of you cut me any slack and ensured I had to play to win or (actually) lose as I did in every case.

The trip was fun, the set up excellent.

best discovery? I did the right thing buying Airlines Europe last October even if no one down here will play it.
And I really liked Nefarious

funniest moment? The game of Junta: Viva el Presidente! was classic. Especially when the person who looked like the least likely to win stunned us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great time, awesome to see some familiar faces again and to meet some new ones.

New games for me this year were:
Takenoko
Galaxy Trucker (this one had been on my 'to play' list for months)
Battle Line
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose
Merchants & Marauders
Nefarious

Most challenging game: actually getting to Wellington in the first place!

See you all next year!

(Tichu Grand Master) Jason cool laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Had a great time, awesome to see some familiar faces again and to meet some new ones.

New games for me this year were:
Takenoko
Galaxy Trucker (this one had been on my 'to play' list for months)
Battle Line
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose
Merchants & Marauders
Nefarious

Most challenging game: actually getting to Wellington in the first place!

See you all next year!

(Tichu Grand Master) Jason cool laugh

You were an awesome 30s hero Jason....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
John and I were actually eyeing up Airlines when we were last over. We would probably been keen for a game at some stage, Sam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
John and I were actually eyeing up Airlines when we were last over. We would probably been keen for a game at some stage, Sam!

yes that sounds good! If you're both free on Sunday for example....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can make any time after about 2pm if that's any good, maybe a little earlier if need be!

My European heritage may be a distinct advantage however!!

I will also try not to mention how many times I drove my tour bus to these cities in the early nineties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JP NZ wrote:

I will also try not to mention how many times I drove my tour bus to these cities in the early nineties.

Ah but did you have shares in the tour bus company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JP NZ wrote:
I can make any time after about 2pm if that's any good, maybe a little earlier if need be!

My European heritage may be a distinct advantage however!!

let's say 2pm and I'll see about 2 other players to make 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
JP NZ wrote:

Ah but did you have shares in the tour bus company?

James - next time you're down this way we should bring out Krakow...

I recommended it here Good 2 vs. 2 game? to no reaction or pick up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I can finally comment on Wellycon now that my silly 4am work hours have finally passed!

Wellycon gets bigger every year, and it's a great reflection of the equally growing hobby nationwide.

One of the best things about the board gaming hobby is that everyone's so...well...so darn nice.

It was great to meet new people, and also to put faces to familiar names. (And Sam Fisher does exist!)

I had a great (and thoroughly tiring) time, but it was worth the agony of Friday transport to make the most of the weekend.

A huge thanks to Andrew and his team for putting on such a great event, and also to CJ, Jason, and Toby, for going above and beyond during our unplanned Waiouru vacation! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you'll be an expert at the rules judging by this pic!

See you Sunday. Either myself or Neil will bring a copy of Bang! if you fancy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
@ ZAK

I just played in character, like most of us were. Tom made hard and fast decisions that did not always suit everyone else. It was alot of fun. It was even funnier when with all of us in the Brig that suddenly my friends in low places skill was suddenly wanted

For everyone new I met this year that was a first timer, I was glad to have gamed with you all.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I convinced my whole family to come: My parents; My brother and my neice (10); My sister, her boyfriend and his kids (both teens).

All had a great time and they brought 3 or 4 new games between them. (T2R, carcassonne, coloretto)

Very smooth and well organised. Thanks to all involved and I will see you all next year.

Highlight for me - the point in BSG where Jen revealed herself to be a cylon, put everyone in the brig, and nearly won the game in one turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It was a highlight yes, a true low point in the game in play. Finally people believed me that I was not a Cylon.

It was a brilliant moment.

BTW Nathan, I interviewed your folks, will make a great piece in the video.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.