Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Any online tournaments planned?

Which online version gets the most play? I know of Vassal, Wargameroom, Zuntzu.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Vassal. Extremely large support and a very good interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Tournaments organized at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccavassal/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For live play, I'd go with wargameroom. I'd do Vassal only in the case where you aren't doing live play and both players are well-versed in the rules (because Vassal doesn't enforce rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:

Using Wargameroom, a rather lengthy (32+ weeks for the preliminary games - 1 game per week [though that is the pace, can play the games whenever one wants]) online tournament began a couple weeks ago, but as far as I know Bruce is accepting interested players late. Bruce's email address is brucewig at hotmail.com.

On the Vassal side of things, Mini-Tournament 42 is wrapping up, MT43 underway, and a sign-up for MT44 shouldn't be too many weeks off. Also, there is usually an "Open" Tournament during the Summer - unlike the MT's which are limited to ten players, the Open Tournaments are, well, open to as many as want to sign up. Usually between 20-40 play in those.

Sign up for the yahoo group Pete mentioned above, and you will receive messages/emails whenever a new tournament sign-up is posted.

Quote:

Thanks

While I greatly prefer Vassal for a variety of reasons, I'm not averse to using Wargameroom. Feel free to send me a geekmail or email (t_rewoldt at hotmail.com), happy to play some C&C with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
For live play, I'd go with wargameroom. I'd do Vassal only in the case where you aren't doing live play and both players are well-versed in the rules (because Vassal doesn't enforce rules).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm just going to play the devil's advocate here. I personally don't like having programme-enforced rules. It (a). doesn't encourage engagement with the rules, doesn't promote genuine learning and understanding and therefore doesn't enhance progression to tactical skill nearly as well, and (b). it removes me a step further from the boardgame experience, making me feel like I'm playing a computer game. In the case of C&C:A, this is particularly true as the wargameroom graphics don't look like the game to my eyes.

I think any online play is a fantastic bonus and while I personally don't play it, I really appreciate the availability of wargameroom for those it suits. I am biased, though. Vassal has a strong community of fine players. Bill runs a great, more flexible tournament package, and I can recommend it highly. The module looks great, the interface is easy and intuitive, it features all available official scenarios (including a separate Epic module), Scenario X and is highly customisable for generating your own and other fan-made scenarios.

It may take a few minutes longer to play than wargameroom, but for a game as quick as Ancients I believe that's irrelevant. I don't mind spending a little extra time (I'm there to enjoy the experience) and most of my games come in at under 45 minutes and often under 30, certainly less than on the table because you're avoiding setup. You may also make rule mistakes playing it, just as you would on the table, but that's a fundamental part of the learning process (or it is for me, anyway).

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We live at a great time with two wonderful programs like Wargameroom and Vassal to enhance our gaming!

Wargameroom, imo, makes learning a game far easier than vassal and I highly recommend it to the library of games available there for first playings.

And it is not 'a little faster' on wargameroom, it is twice as fast or faster. And yes that IS a factor for some of us who want a nice, fast, competitive game but we have reality barking at the door.

The fact that there is a timer on wargameroom games is an added plus and I wish vassal had it too.

I play about equally on both and I am thoroughly impressed with both. When I've got 30 minutes and feel like some CCA, I turn to Wargameroom.

I will not deny what I call the 'soft brain' syndrome that could come from a lot of wargameroom play. With the program doing everything for you, sometimes there is a re-learning needed--at least for me as I'm not very bright to start with--when you sit down at a game table with the real game.

I am confident the poster got the answer to his question so he can make his own decision.

The creation of both programs simply amazes me! I actually remember setting up games and writing my move down to mail off in a letter and waiting a week or more for my opponent's return move. We've come a long way!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Using Wargameroom, a rather lengthy (32+ weeks for the preliminary games - 1 game per week [though that is the pace, can play the games whenever one wants]) online tournament began a couple weeks ago, but as far as I know Bruce is accepting interested players late. Bruce's email address is brucewig at hotmail.com.

On the Vassal side of things, Mini-Tournament 42 is wrapping up, MT43 underway, and a sign-up for MT44 shouldn't be too many weeks off. Also, there is usually an "Open" Tournament during the Summer - unlike the MT's which are limited to ten players, the Open Tournaments are, well, open to as many as want to sign up. Usually between 20-40 play in those.

Sign up for the yahoo group Pete mentioned above, and you will receive messages/emails whenever a new tournament sign-up is posted.

Quote:

Thanks

While I greatly prefer Vassal for a variety of reasons, I'm not averse to using Wargameroom. Feel free to send me a geekmail or email (t_rewoldt at hotmail.com), happy to play some C&C with you

Thanks. This week will be too busy, but I'll contact you afterward to arrange something. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for a lot of great information. I did not know about the yahoo group for tournaments and have joined.I can see where both online sites have their uses and will no doubt dabble in both.
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm just going to play the devil's advocate here. I personally don't like having programme-enforced rules. It (a). doesn't encourage engagement with the rules, doesn't promote genuine learning and understanding and therefore doesn't enhance progression to tactical skill nearly as well, and (b). it removes me a step further from the boardgame experience, making me feel like I'm playing a computer game. In the case of C&C:A, this is particularly true as the wargameroom graphics don't look like the game to my eyes.

I think any online play is a fantastic bonus and while I personally don't play it, I really appreciate the availability of wargameroom for those it suits. I am biased, though. Vassal has a strong community of fine players. Bill runs a great, more flexible tournament package, and I can recommend it highly. The module looks great, the interface is easy and intuitive, it features all available official scenarios (including a separate Epic module), Scenario X and is highly customisable for generating your own and other fan-made scenarios.

It may take a few minutes longer to play than wargameroom, but for a game as quick as Ancients I believe that's irrelevant. I don't mind spending a little extra time (I'm there to enjoy the experience) and most of my games come in at under 45 minutes and often under 30, certainly less than on the table because you're avoiding setup. You may also make rule mistakes playing it, just as you would on the table, but that's a fundamental part of the learning process (or it is for me, anyway).

Brent.

I agree with Brent 100% here, as long as the Vassal module is a good one. When I play a good module on Vassal I feel like I'm playing a real game that requires real interaction.

Ancients is a great module. Battlelore is another great C & C module. Both have the feel of the real boardgame with no setup time, so it's really appealing to me.

Haven't played Napoleon, Battlecry, or Mem44 on Vassal, so I don't know what they play like. But, I did the enforcable Mem 44 online game and it felt like I was playing a computer game like Brent suggests. Just not my cup of tea I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.