Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We're playing our first game of TI3 next weekend. There will be 4-6 of us, all newbies. And we're using Shattered Empires.

After reading several threads and polls on suggested options for first games, I've come up with a configuration.

Setup:

Fixed

Races:

Hacan, L1Z1X, Sol, Mentak, Muaat, Winnu

These seem to all be fairly straightforward.

Strategy Cards:

Initiative, Diplomacy, Political, Logistics, Trade II, Warfare II, Technology, Imperial II

Some of the SE Strategy cards seem a bit fiddly. I wanted to keep things simple for the first game. Warfare I seems too powerful. Considered Technology II, but is ramping up the pace of technology advances a good idea in a first game?

Objective Cards:

Still uncertain on this. The SE Objectives definitely reward aggression. But maybe too much? Is it possible to mix Objectives from Core and SE?

Secret Objectives:

Might skip them for the first game. Some comments suggest they're swingy and imbalanced, and since nobody knows what the Secret Objectives are, I'm worried the game winner after 8 hours will come completely out of the blue (I didn't know he'd win if he did that!).

Age of Empires:

Yes

Racial Technologies:

Maybe. They look cool, but maybe a bit too much for first game. Also, isn't there an issue with Hacan's technology that can be imbalanced if players aren't aware of it?

Guardians of Mercatol:

Yes

Artifacts:

Yes

Wormhole Nexus:

Yes

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am going to be running a first game for all in a couple of weeks. After playing through a fe solo games I mostly agree with your setup with the following exceptions:

I'm going to use all the newest SC's. Instead of having to learn a new set of cards the second time we play we will just learn with the number II's. For the most part they are pretty straight forward (with perhaps some explanation from someone who knows what they are doing).

I really like the distant suns and final frontiers cards. I think it adds some intrigue while not really adding any rules that are difficult.

I like the preliminary and secret objectives. They give the player something to shoot for (when not playing the Age of Empires varient) and again is not a really difficult idea to grasp or explain.

I am still debating how much politics I want in the first game. So maybe using political I or II might be easier than Assembly.

The more I dig into the game the more I think the best thing to do is run a practice round or two and then reset the board when people start to grasp how the game works. Then you can add some of the varients in.

Good luck with the game.

-Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New players always seem to have trouble understanding Tactical actions(activations) at first.
Activate an UNACTIVATED tile with a CC from the command pool, any and all UNACTIVATED units that can reach that tile may move there.

When movement into the activated tile has ended any player's PDS units within range may fire at units belonging to the player who activated the tile that reside in the ACTIVATED tile (whether they moved or not). The moving player may also fire at any other player's units in the tile he activated.

Understand this and you can actually plan a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
I want to advertise my own file here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79152/ti3-nox-overview

Of course it does not use 100% your setup and adds some techs from the Shards of the Throne expansion it could be helpful for you.

I would not use Age of Empires. In my eyes players have to learn so many things, and it is not easy to hold an eye on all of the objectives. It is easier to learn them one by one.

Players often forget build limit which is resource+2, and you may not build a Starport if you did not controlled the planet the whole round. Also influence into votes conversion does not exhaust the planet.

I lately played a 7 player game with 5 new players and one who had forgot about all the rules with all variants. It was not really more complicated. Players made a lot of things wrong (not focussing on VP but instead on the players with the biggest army) but the players loved it.

I just can not recommend the game with >6 players unless everyone is quite experienced. It is not only the time, but primarly the extra ring added which makes a totally different gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Objectives are very important for the game, don't take them out. Racial Technologies aren't difficult to understand, and do a lot to differentiate the races and play up their strengths, so I'd throw them in. Technology II is also fine to use.

Be aware that if you don't like surprising bubble victories, Age of Empires is much worse about it than vanilla; it's possible for someone to gain 5 or more VP in a good turn and sweep things. It also can be overwhelming for new players to take in all the objectives at once.

The Winnu are one of the worst races for learning the game since their racial so fundamentally effects the rules of the game. I'd take them out and replace them, probably with Xxcha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would lobby for Tech II. Tech II doesn't quite "ramp up" technology acquisition, rather it allows it to actually happen in the first place. 8 Resources for a Tech I is brutal, especially for new players who wont yet understand the dynamics of just how many ships or portions of objectives they are giving up to get said tech, and whether or not the tech is worth it. Much better to make it cheaper and give them more flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.