Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My last group of auctions, I did a buy it now lot of 4.

My ebay fees were 11% + listing cost.

This is insane. Yet, every other venue of selling, might get it sold someday...but probably won't. The BGG marketplace is awesome, but it's not something you sell within a finite amount of time.

Ebid has better listing fees and final value costs, but no one shops there.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon,
Your going to pay the same if not a little more in fees but offset by better sale prices.

Craigslist,
Local but usually sell for less.

Etsy,
Handmade and older vintage games

BGG Geeklist auction
Perhaps a faster sale time than marketplace.

There always seems to be another ebay or amazon clone popping up, but the problem is just as you said it "no one shops there".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Dave made a site: www.hobby-bid.com to sell things like model kits and such. I suggested he try it out here. The BGG folk blitzkrieged him into leaving BGG forever. It was brutal. I was embarrassed by the hate he received. From "trying to steal money from BGG auctions" to "what do you get out of it, are you selling our addresses?"

His idea was altruistic. Like you he just wanted a place to sell without fees. But BGG ripped him apart. It's still active, but no one uses it. I told him if he'd charged a fee, like a dollar to post an auction, people wouldn't look so suspiciously at it.

It had a surge when he first built it, but now it just lingers on waiting for death.

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much of a solution, but I second your opinion. I used Ebay for the first time over a decade ago, and I remember thinking that it had very fair fees. There were a few years where I didn't use it to sell anything, and then a few years ago, I listed some items. Granted, my items didn't sell for very high, but when I netted about 70 cents after shipping and ebay/paypal fees, I decided I had used it for the last time. I use Craigslist now, and if that doesn't work, I donate to Goodwill for the tax write off.

The fact that ebay acquired paypal makes me think there is a bit of an unfair competitive advantage for ebay as compared to any startup auction website. I can't prove that, but that is just how it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do you one better.

If you PayPal Al Franken $29.99, I will not only sell you the plans for a successful, eBay alternative, but will also throw in the super secret stratagem for world peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
machosancho wrote:
I don't have much of a solution, but I second your opinion. I used Ebay for the first time over a decade ago, and I remember thinking that it had very fair fees.

Same here. Once upon a time it was pretty reasonable. Then it was, "man, that's a little steep but...still works."

Now it's.. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore.

I like the geeklist auction concept, with the problem that it's hard to do a geeklist auction with just one or two items. It seems silly.

The BGG marketplace is useful, with the problem that you can't do, "I'm selling it for whatever someone will offer me---if anything, in the next week."

Craigslist is great, with the problem that, who the heck is looking for, say "gulo gulo"?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you only have one or two items to sell, just do it in a thread in GeekBay. More than that probably needs a geeklist. I've seen plenty with just a few items in them, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
The BGG marketplace is awesome, but it's not something you sell within a finite amount of time.

"Time" depends on the game. Hornet Leader used to sell in a few hours, consistently, in any condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
My friend Dave made a site: www.hobby-bid.com to sell things like model kits and such. I suggested he try it out here. The BGG folk blitzkrieged him into leaving BGG forever. It was brutal. I was embarrassed by the hate he received. From "trying to steal money from BGG auctions" to "what do you get out of it, are you selling our addresses?"

I remember that sad episode. Mob mentality at its worst. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
every other venue of selling, might get it sold someday...but probably won't. The BGG marketplace is awesome, but it's not something you sell within a finite amount of time.

bippi wrote:
I like the geeklist auction concept, with the problem that it's hard to do a geeklist auction with just one or two items. It seems silly.

The BGG marketplace is useful, with the problem that you can't do, "I'm selling it for whatever someone will offer me---if anything, in the next week."

Craigslist is great, with the problem that, who the heck is looking for, say "gulo gulo"?!

The reason eBay is so expensive is because of all the reasons you identify:

- The items will almost certainly sell in a finite amount of time
- The items will be seen by a very large number of bidders
- You can list as many or as few items as you want at a time
- You can list an item "for best offer" with a defined end point
- You can list obscure items that very few people are looking for

Etc etc. If eBay weren't so good at making successful sales, it would cost less.

If you want to pay less, you have to be willing to have a lower success rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NateStraight wrote:
bippi wrote:
every other venue of selling, might get it sold someday...but probably won't. The BGG marketplace is awesome, but it's not something you sell within a finite amount of time.

bippi wrote:

The reason eBay is so expensive is because of all the reasons you identify:

- The items will almost certainly sell in a finite amount of time
- The items will be seen by a very large number of bidders
- You can list as many or as few items as you want at a time
- You can list an item "for best offer" with a defined end point
- You can list obscure items that very few people are looking for

Etc etc. If eBay weren't so good at making successful sales, it would cost less.

If you want to pay less, you have to be willing to have a lower success rate.

It used to do all of that for FAR less money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Because it was unproven and theoretically still facing the threat of new competitors.

In the years since, no new competitors have entered to provide a similarly useful service at any price [much less a cheaper one] so eBay's pricing has risen to account for the fact that it is essentially a monopoly service provider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NateStraight wrote:
bippi wrote:

Because it was unproven and theoretically still facing the threat of new competitors.

In the years since, no new competitors have entered to provide a similarly useful service at any price [much less a cheaper one] so eBay's pricing has risen to account for the fact that it is essentially a monopoly service provider.

Henceforth, I made a thread on BGG, and it will be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
bippi wrote:

So... if BGG had an improved Auction experience (automatic bid increments, automatic conversion to marketplace entries, etc) what would sellers be willing to pay? Assume that the 3% Marketplace fee is fixed, and this is another 'garnish'?

I ask because as a buyer I find the interface awful; I have a lot of late nights waiting for auctions to close so I don't get sniped (I'm in UTC+1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get right on it. Will you be paying cash or check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.