United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Ingersoll (ringersoll on BGG) - the Boardspace.net 2011 Hive Tournament World Champion, regular BGGer, and a really nice guy - has been working on a Hive strategy book for quite a while, and I found out today that it's publicly available!

http://www.playhivelikeachampion.com/

Vital stats:
- $8.99 from Lulu
- 165 fairly large pages
- Uses diagrams from tons of actual Boardspace games to demonstrate the points.

Personal opinion:
I was lucky enough to get a copy a little early (I'm using it so that I can build good AI for the Xbox version of Hive). I'm about 60% of the way through and I'm loving it so far.

Since I'm coming off as a little bit of a fanboy, I should probably point out that I don't get a kickback on the sales... I just legitimately like the book.

I'll send Randy a link to this post, so he can probably answer questions if you have any - cool how I just volunteered him, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the book, and it looks great!
But I can't print it, and have trouble reading on a screen - am I just out of luck, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It requires Adobe Digital Editions to read on your computer.
You can download it for free from here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kopsidas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
If you like Hive, this book is a must. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Although I'm afraid my online opponents will become much stronger after its release!

fumanchu on boardspace.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we can buy this as a standard PDF? My tablet can't use the Adobe software required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy this book in a "dead tree" edition - it would look great on my shelf next to the two Arimaa books, also self-published by World Champions . . .

Any timeline / possibility of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The book I dreamed of writing myself but never got the time to... bought !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Would love to see this on the amazon kindle store, or on the apple ibook store, so that we could read it on tablets as well as ebook readers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
I would buy this book in a "dead tree" edition - it would look great on my shelf next to the two Arimaa books, also self-published by World Champions . . .

No timeline yet, but both PDF and softcover versions are in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
Interesting. Would love to see this on the amazon kindle store, or on the apple ibook store, so that we could read it on tablets as well as ebook readers

My publisher is Lulu.com and they automatically submit to the iBook store and to Nook. But it takes a while for them to be accepted. I will post a note when they are available at either of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmingersoll wrote:
SJack wrote:

My publisher is Lulu.com and they automatically submit to the iBook store and to Nook. But it takes a while for them to be accepted. I will post a note when they are available at either of these.

Splendid. Looking forward to the ibook version. Just out of curiouity, will it be on the Amazon Kindle store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmingersoll wrote:
nycavri wrote:

I would be interested in a PDF version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also purchase this for my Amazon Kindle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I'm not a Hive player, it's a great thing to see a strategy book on one of our "designer" games get published. Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone who visits BGG I love games , and I love Hive. I pore over most of the entries in relation to the games I have bought, am thinking of buying or am just intrigued by. When I first bought Puerto Rico, for example, I read all the strategy articles I could lay my hands on. But then something changed. My group plays games essentially for fun (while trying hard to win of course) and I now back off the strategy articles and enjoy working out for myself what 'works' and what doesn't in a particular game . Most of the group do the same which results in more spontaneous and sometimes less predictable 'moves'. So I shalln't buy the book but respect to the author and those who do buy it if that's their thing - just hope I don't find myself playing one of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Randy! I've seen some parts of this book and it seems very interesting. Plus I can tell that Randy is a good teacher, judging by observing his matches at boardspace. I can't wait until pdf or e-book version will be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is involved in this Hive book project I can emphasize that it is not only written comprehensible and enjoyable to read but also very well structured and looking visually appealing. After the main content was already finished it took about a half year from the very first layout to the final version and I admire Randy for having the patience to rework sometimes over hundred pages for killing a minor flaw. (I am refering to the upcoming PDF version because the current version for Adobe Digital Editions varys much)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gowell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A great accomplishment by a great guy. Just looking at the table of contents for this work let's me know I need to favorably revise my assessment of the game's depth. The combination of diverse move capabilities for the pieces with complex, evolving, "board" geometries means this game will be testing people's talents for years to come. Kudos to Randy (and to those who helped him) for helping to chart the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Toft Madsen
United Kingdom
Petersfield
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this 2 days ago, about 25% through it. So far, it's already expanded the way I think about - and appreciate - the game. It's a very accomplished work, to be honest, and uses good examples throughout. Big fan here, so far.

That said, the Digital Editions requirement is an annoyance for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunbeam60 wrote:
[...] the Digital Editions requirement is an annoyance for me.

ditto. I'm eagerly awaiting an alternate edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Spent so much time fiddling with Digital editions, I lost interest in actually reading the book when I got it to work. Looking forward to delving into it later this week. It does like a very helpful resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
rmingersoll wrote:

Please post/update here when the softcover version is out. My Significant Other and I are interested in getting a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eucalyx wrote:
As someone who is involved in this Hive book project I can emphasize that it is not only written comprehensible and enjoyable to read but also very well structured and looking visually appealing. (I am referring to the upcoming PDF version because the current version for Adobe Digital Editions varys much)

Apart from the "visually appealing" part, I can confirm, after reading through the book from page 1 to the end, that it is comprehensible, enjoyable (though I personally would have loved a "making of hive" section by John Yianni) and well structured. (I am referring to the currently available Adobe Digital Editions).

sunbeam60 wrote:
So far, it's already expanded the way I think about - and appreciate - the game. It's a very accomplished work, to be honest, and uses good examples throughout.

Again, I can only confirm this, the examples are spot on and simple to understand, and reading the book had me think differently about the game flow.

When the paper edition will be out, I'll buy it again, no doubt !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
didaskalos wrote:
Is this book readable on the Kindle? Is ePub one of the formats they accept?

nope and nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.