gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
Picked this up recently. Here are my thoughts.

THE GOOD.
The theme of this game is cool and even if you are not familiar with deadlands mythos you should enjoy it.
This is the most kit i have ever seen crammed into such a small box.
Imagine your favorite western combined with scifi and horror and you on your way. Players play one of 6 factions attempting to have the highest score at the end of the game. The game can end in a number of ways so the replay value with 6 factions all playing differently,multiple endgames, so many situations that can occour is of the scale
The game is part placement style,part minis,part rpg. The game system attempts to create a living breathing world for you to play in. events will change the course of play,NPC's will arrive and leave,A deputy may arrive and begin patroling town looking for trouble makers,new stock will arrive at the local shop etc. This is quit cool.On your turn you secretly plot movement and actions for your gang {starting with three until you recruit more} then everyone movs at the same time and once they have all moved the random events occour that can change your plans drastically. After this each gang member carrys out there action in order of priority. There are soooo many things you can do and the situations that occour can be so much fun its mind numbing. Each faction will tend to be better at certain things and are rewarded for doing these things.
and so the next turn begins.

THE BAD
The rule book is not very clear and appears to not have been written in any particular order giving the impression that they were not edited
This is a shame because most of the rules you need are there some where unlike earlier TC releases.
There has been criticism regarding game breaking methods of play that allow you to just concentrate on one or two actions only to win the game. I think this is refered to as "farming " in the computer games community.
I however have played 6 games now with different end objectivs and player numbers and have not encountered this at all. If you think a player has found a loophole its down to you to close it.
If they are gambling well go shoot them or dynamite the saloon.
If they are mining well go mine too or shoot them,stab them arrest them.
If they are robbing the train/stage coach have someone hang around to arrest them etc. the lists of options are endless.

THE UGLY
The components while mainly pretty nice have some obvious flaws.
All the factions are moulded in the same colour plastic so it is hard to tell who is who particularly in games of 5 or 6 players.

The player shield to hide your mini map is to small and flimsy

some people think the figers bases are to small and the figures tend to fall over.
I did not find this a great problem but have fitted tidly wink size coloured bases to the figures more for ID than stability.

Over all I think this is a great value fun game that is worth overcoming its problems as there is a gem of a game inside.
The shear number of options available to the playes is bound to cause some teething problems. Also once you know what you are doing and have some direction the games are never longer than 2 hours sometimes much less.
8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game is a good idea, that does a pretty good job of sticking to the theme.

The rule book is horrible, it's missing information, isn't clear and just makes things confusing. They put out a FAQ some time ago that helped a few things but certainly didn't answer every question.

This game reminds me of Zombies!!! in that it seems like it should be pretty simple and play fast. But in reality the horrible rulebook bogs this game down to a game that's slow and plodding instead of lots of action.

I so wanted to like this game but it's just flawed and seldom comes out. When we do bring it out again we all remember why it's been shelved for at least a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the rule book could use some work indeed.
there are a lot of situations that arrise that are not clearly ruled.
Sadly i think its inherent in a gamestructured like this I hope you have a chance to give the game a few more plays as it is great fun once yuo house rule or faq it.
such a shame just needed some more time on playtesting and rules.

I am enjoying though i must say.
I just love the some of the mad situations that occour like trying to recruit an evil cultist in the church using whisky or being trampled in the street second before i was about to throw dynamite into a crowded ranch he he he.
my wife wanted 10 ghost rock to heal him as well damn private medical insurance.

Its a bit luck driven but great story telling fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've probably played it about 6 times now each time it's like relearning it and there's always some new situation that the rules don't handle. There's a lot of potential for fun, but every game has had at least one moment of total bog down because of a rule situation that drags it to a halt. Also it seems they always happen at critical junctures where the ruling will greatly help one person and significantly screw someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
The more times I've played this, the less I've liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a shame this game is really hamstrung by the poor rulebook. I've played it twice (the second time with the expansion), but so many rules questions came up that was difficult to find in the rulebook or was not in there at all that made it a chore to play. I just kept thinking during our last game, "Man, I wish I had just broken out my Doomtown decks instead. Then we'd be having fun."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.