Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can games be used for real-life conflict resolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this recent research on the impact of the digital game PEACEMAKER (2008) on the attitudes of Israeli, Palestinian, Turkish, and US students to the Arab-Israeli conflict was very interesting: http://paxsims.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/learning-about-the-i...

My sense is that this depends not only on the game, however, but even more so on the ways in which it is used (is it played alone, embedded in a course, debriefed with the players, etc).

What other examples might we have of games being used as real-life conflict resolution tools?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it was my first thought when seeing the thread's title: Rock Paper Scissors
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SIMSOC is an example of a game intended to address conflict issues (and as training fro conflict resolution specialists). I've never played it, although I do know that (among many, many other applications) it was used in fragile/conflict-affected Burundi to "help build a sustainable network of Burundian leaders capable of working across ethnic and political lines."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Sneak up behind your enemies and whack them over the head with the Planet Steam box. That ought to resolve the conflict!



7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience, games are more likely to cause real-life conflicts then resolve them...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the basic ideas behind many political and military simulations. Wargaming out many solutions to an issue may help resolve a real-life conflict, by providing the user with an appropriate, less confrontational action, or point to the fact that a conflict should not be entered into in the first place - which in itself is a sort of conflict resolution (by avoidance).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
This is one of the basic ideas behind many political and military simulations. Wargaming out many solutions to an issue may help resolve a real-life conflict, by providing the user with an appropriate, less confrontational action, or point to the fact that a conflict should not be entered into in the first place - which in itself is a sort of conflict resolution (by avoidance).


In this case, I'm especially interested in games used as a tool to either change public attitudes among the conflicting groups in a way that promotes conflict resolution, or directly played by the conflicting groups as a way of addressing issues in dispute. That's a somewhat separate issue than educational, training, or policy planning uses (although those are interesting too!).


This
is the sort of thing I'm talking about (in this case, an Israeli-Palestinian role-play simulation using actual current and former Israeli and Palestinian officials).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Each game of chess means there's one less variation left to be played

Each day got through means one or two less mistakes remain to be made

Not much is known
Of early days of chess beyond a fairly vague report
that fifteen hundred years ago two princes fought
Two brothers for a Hindi throne

The mother cried
For no one really likes their offspring fighting to the death
She begged to stop the slaughter with her every breath
but sure enough one brother died

Sad beyond belief she told her winning son
You have caused such grief I can't forgive this evil thing you've done

He tried to explain how things had really been
But he tried in vain
No words of his could mollify the queen

And so he asked the wisest men he knew the way to lessen her distress
They told him he'd be pretty certain to impress by using model soldiers on a checkered board to show it was his brother's fault
- He thus invented chess
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Each game of chess means there's one less variation left to be played

Each day got through means one or two less mistakes remain to be made

Not much is known
Of early days of chess beyond a fairly vague report
that fifteen hundred years ago two princes fought
Two brothers for a Hindi throne

The mother cried
For no one really likes their offspring fighting to the death
She begged to stop the slaughter with her every breath
but sure enough one brother died

Sad beyond belief she told her winning son
You have caused such grief I can't forgive this evil thing you've done

He tried to explain how things had really been
But he tried in vain
No words of his could mollify the queen

And so he asked the wisest men he knew the way to lessen her distress
They told him he'd be pretty certain to impress by using model soldiers on a checkered board to show it was his brother's fault
- He thus invented chess


Now I have to go and listen to that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it was my first thought when seeing the thread's title: Rock Paper Scissors


My wife and I use this method all the time to see who has to do things like "turn off the lights" or "take out the garbage" or "walk the dog." Unfortunately, she wins nearly 100% of the time though neither she nor I knows why. Even when I intentionally try and pick something else then my normal (whatever that is, I don't know) she wins. We only play one round, loser is stuck.

Incidently, she has also declared my "atomic bomb," "giant hammer" and "concrete block" choices as illegal, automatically making me the loser.

Oh well, at least it isn't far to the dumpster...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried adding Spock and Lizard?

http://www.samkass.com/theories/RPSSL.html
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Real-life conflicts are games...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The official word for these type of games is 'Serious Games'. Games that are designed for an educational purpose instead of entertainment. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game for a list of examples.

Then there is also the genre of 'Gamification' where game mechanics are applied to other fields in order to enhance the experience. http://fold.it/portal/ is the most famous example where players can play a puzzle game which is actually a researchtool and playing it helps medical research.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.