The Resistance» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How the crap do you find trust!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb

First off, my games are usually, 5 to 7 players without the plot cards. i play my games the basically same, wheter spy or resistance, but im pretty sure im much quicker and louder when im a spy. Im a talker, i always discuss our options and repeat any past info.

I Love being a resistance member, i always play with one or two wild cards( players that don't talk at alll) That its like 50/50, one of the quiet-eers is a spy and of them is not!

i tell everybody all the time, I will vote no for every mission unless I have a good feeling. I always try to clarify the major info in the game "when everyone wanted that mission to go through, so did the spies!!!!" and the reverse logic, If no-one wanted that mission,that could potentially be a sucessful mission."

This game is extremely tough, Last night,(i was resistance) i was playing with a new player. And right after the "everyone close your eyes, spies open your eyes" The new player asked, wait how many spies are there. I saw this very trustworthy and loyal, becuase he isn't that smart to pull that trick on me, i just showed him the game!! I announced his statement to everyone. And tried to prove him loyal for everyone. Which kinda makes me look loyal becuase im trying to show a fellow resistance member, a spy wouldn't do that, Unless i have a spy card of course devil

but i was resistance, so thats okay. He was my buddy that whole game untill he failed the last and epic final mission.

how do you test the "trustworthy of teamate"

Do you ask him, Am i a spy? or somthing of the matter? Is it possilbe i am a spy? I know this is reallly shady, but how do you prove the trustworth of a teamate! and i know this is veryyyyyy broad thing to talk about, but it drives me crazy!!

This game is reallly hard to find trust, How do YOU find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played without the plot cards, gaining full trust is very difficult. It is a game of reading other people, knowing their tells and otherwise building up trust over several games.

That sounds weird... roles shift across games, but the people don't.

A playgroup that builds up over time will learn where trust lies, and have their own reasons, even if they don't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Got to agree with BT Carpenter. If you're finding it difficult just play more and observe more with the same people. You'll quickly develop hunches and when people start to read you well you have to learn what your tells are and adjust your behaviour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it funny how few responses you got from your post.

How do you test the trust of your teammates.
1 Do not trust everyone at the table. There is usually only one player that is universally trusted at the table. This is the player who will win the game for the resistance, trust him.
2 You cannot figure out the entire table by yourself. Find someone to trust and have them help you figure it out. Always question your trust on the other player. If you determine they are a spy, flip-flop everything they have said.
3 Spy’s have to lie. Try to catch them lying about something. This usually means they are a spy. You need to keep searching for tells.
4 Mathematically can be your friend. Figure out the odds. Then narrow the odds by tells and voting behavior.
5 Yes ask players if they are a spy. You will be amazed how often people will give away the answer. I hate this question, but it really works.
6 The resistance wins with trust. The player causing the most descent is usually the spy.
7 The players who have been on missions (failed or not) know more information than the players who were not.
8 Players that work the hardest to figure out the spies are usually resistance.
9 Don’t trust groups, trust individuals. Then test the trust with missions.

Some of the problems I see with your post.
A) You always vote no. This is an issue when you become a spy. It is a tell. Be chaotic sometimes.
B) If you talk too much you will get the label as a spy. When you are accused, sometime you need to be quite to regain trust.
C) If a player opens their eyes and asks “how many spies should I have seen”, don’t trust them. Hopefully you won’t get that one wrong again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't responded for lack of ideas, but I will keep them brief.

First of all, the game is highly prone to groupthink. Some groups believe voting no to a mission proposal is the act of a spy. Other groups (correctly I believe) think that voting yes is actually the more spy-like thing to do.

So the problem with the question is, we don't know what your group believes to be trust-worthy acts.

All I can say is that you need to ask a lot of questions. If someone claims to trust someone else, ask them why. Remember that reason. If at the end of the game, the person who had 'trust' in the other person was himself a spy, well, then throw out that answer because it's meaningless, but if it was a Resistance player, then remember that for that person for the next game you play with them, and do that thing, regardless of your role. The other nice thing about this particular question is that you can sometimes trip up spies. If a player claims to trust someone and then when pressed on the reasoning can't actually come up with one, then you've most likely found yourself a spy buddying up to a Resistance player.

So, I'd say any advice we could give you is entirely situational. Philip's "C" above I've actually seen go both ways. Sometimes a Resistance member does simply forget, and it's a Resistance tell.

I would also say that you should read some of the PlayByForums for clues on how to build trust (or not). A few good recent examples are

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/804420/pbf-21-who-goes-there... (only read if you don't mind R-rated movies)

and

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/796037/pbf-20-an-oldie-but-a...

In PBF20, it's an excellent example of one player being mistrusted/"mistrusted" by the other 4 players who is then later cleared based solely on the math. The reason why he lost trust was his voting pattern. Now, voting patterns again are highly group-dependent, but in the case of 20, the player voting sketchy KNEW the voting patterns group-think and still did it anyway. Now his team is down on points and probably about to lose. It's an example of understanding how a group thinks is one of the most important aspects of playing this game well.

PBF21 is another interesting example of two playstyles clashing. (Writing as the player in question) In this game, I was cleared by two other people at the table with plot cards, yet I still found it very tricky to convince a few others at the table I was Resistance, despite actually being Resistance (I have since been cleared on the math alone). But the entirety of 21 is an interesting example of a player who has gone out of his way to act as Resistance-like as possible but still not having much trust in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.