Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game + all the expansions. I foresee this game getting A LOT of play in my group so of course I order eighty bazillion card sleeves (the mayday green sleeves pictured on the flyer that came with the base game).

I'm starting to sleeve them now, and I must say, these sleeves are pretty snug and it takes quite a bit of effort to actually get the card IN the sleeve. I already had a casualty - I accidentally bent one of the draft cards as I was trying to push it into the sleeve

So...is this how it's supposed to be? Or did I buy wrong sleeves or what? I got like 25 packs of the premium green sleeves and they all seem to behave this way..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Mayday premium green to sleeve mine and they work well for the most part. However, I also noticed that AEG games are slightly more snug in those sleeves than other companies' games as well. That being said, you should not have to push so hard you risk bending the card to get them in, but they will be a snug fit.

I had Nightfall in FFG sleeves, but changed them because they kept getting scratched up and they would not fit back into the box because of their extra height.

Try a sleeve or two from each of your packs to see, and if the problem persists, send an email to Mayday. They have their issues like anyone else, but the price and general size of their sleeves still makes them the choice for most of my games, and they will replace sleeves that don't fit.

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Ultra-Pro New Standard Black card sleeves for two reasons:

1) the inconsistencies of the Mayday sleeve sizes, and
2) the basic dark backing and non-eye candy logo wasn't much to miss with solid black backings.

IMO, I prefer Ultra-Pro sleeves for all my deck building games for fit and protection while shuffling. While they are much thicker, I'm willing to accept this for better protection and feel.

I only use Mayday sleeves for cards inside board games that do not get played that often in order to keep the quality of the cards in the case I decide to trade or sell the board game later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do those ultrapro sleeves have that stupid shiny dot on the front? I cannot express how distracting that thing is for me. I would be a huge ultrapro fan if not for it! I have a lot of Ultrapro sleeves that I don't use because that dot covers just enough data on some boardgame cards to be a nuisance.

They are nice sleeves too though, minus the shiny dot.... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Dragonshields and didn't have any issues.

I will say this: Even with the same manufacturer there are slight variances in width and height of their sleeves. They're minute fractions of difference. The point being is that it could have been the packs that you bought were from a batch that was slightly smaller than average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all sleeved up in Ultra Pro New Size sleeves with black backing (red for draft). They fit very well.

Also tried Dragonshields but in my opinion they where to thick and had very rough edges that very disadvantageous when shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallagher
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into the shiny dot problem with the ultrapro sleeves and strangely enough fixed it with the simplest of ideas:

Sleeve them upside-down.

This actually works brilliantly with nightfall as the dot falls right in the top-right corner of the artwork right along the border. It practically disappears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also discovered that the clear Ultra-Pro Pro Fit sleeves are a bit more snug than the New Standard and have no shiny dot! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
themothman421 wrote:
Got the game + all the expansions. I foresee this game getting A LOT of play in my group so of course I order eighty bazillion card sleeves (the mayday green sleeves pictured on the flyer that came with the base game).

I'm starting to sleeve them now, and I must say, these sleeves are pretty snug and it takes quite a bit of effort to actually get the card IN the sleeve. I already had a casualty - I accidentally bent one of the draft cards as I was trying to push it into the sleeve

So...is this how it's supposed to be? Or did I buy wrong sleeves or what? I got like 25 packs of the premium green sleeves and they all seem to behave this way..

There is a difference between American Board Game and American Card Game sized sleeves, the latter being slightly larger. You want the American Card Game size, sounds like you got the Board Game size. It's not a huge difference, but enough to make it a really tight fit. Kind of annoying, I agree.

A lot of the Fantasy Flight games use ABG size, btw, like Rune Age or Blood Bowl Team Manager, and some vintage Avalon Hill games like Up Front! or Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. The vast majority of the games I play, however, use ACG size. I hope you can take them back, 25 packs is a lot of sleeves!

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallisti Kilmer
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cutternewmoon wrote:
I ran into the shiny dot problem with the ultrapro sleeves and strangely enough fixed it with the simplest of ideas:

Sleeve them upside-down.

This actually works brilliantly with nightfall as the dot falls right in the top-right corner of the artwork right along the border. It practically disappears.

I used clear sleeves and put the dot on the back of the cards. I like Ultrapro sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.