Subject: Power Grid or El Grande rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to hear a few opinions. If you could choose just one, which one would it be. One of the two will be in my next purchase, however I haven't been able to decide which one. I think my game group would take to either one. I just don't know which one to purchase first.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian

your collection doesn't have a lot of euros that I'm familiar with, so I can't tell what you'd like.
I have played Powergrid a few times with 2 people and a few times with 4.
I much prefer 4 player, and think 5 and 6 would be great aswell.
the auctioning and tension around first-choice honours is lost with 2 if you ask me.

El Grande is something I'm interesting in getting, so let us know what you like about your purchase when you've got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,
Thanks for the input. I really don't have any euro style games. I was looking to add a few to my collection. I've read the rules for both Power Grid and El Grande, and they both seem like they would be really fun. I've read and watched reviews on both and still cannot decide which one to pick. In the end it my just come down to a coin toss, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A coin toss is no way to decide on a eurogame.

Power Grid is great and definitely comes close to the hype as "5th greatest game ever", IMO. Never played El Grande!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Point taken! That's why I'm here on the forums asking for opinions before I have to resort to such drastic measures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While these are both great games, my personal recommendation is El Grande. Power Grid is a good game for a lot of reasons, but I like the hidden nature of the Castillo in El Grande. I also like the turn order mechanism (of the cards) in El Grande, better than the power plant value in Power Grid. I would recommend getting the Decennial Edition (not sure if you can get any other) if you get El Grande, because it comes with the expansions. (Not that they add a ton to the game, but they're mostly easy to mix in if you want to mix it up a bit.)

Power Grid, in my opinion, becomes too repetitive, with minimal player interaction (sure you can buy out fuels, and take up city spaces, but this is rarely unpredictable, and not all that interesting.) El Grande mixes it up with hidden choices (sometimes) and, of course, the cubes hidden in the Castillo. (I also really like saying Castillo, and you never get to say that in Power Grid.)

Anyway, just some of my thoughts. Maybe useless. But I definitely recommend El Grande over Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have both and enjoy them both. They are both great games and should both be in your collection. Which should go first?

El Grande is best with 5 players, ok with 4 and loses a lot with 3. It is relatively easy to teach with a few simple placement rules and most nuances coming out through the cards. It is all about area control and a bit of bluffing when the castillo is revealed.

Power Grid tends to scale better no matter the number of players. It probably is best with 4-5 as well but can handle the other player counts better than El Grande. It blends a few things - auctions, resource management, route building. It is a bit more involved and takes a few plays to understand how all things come together. There is a flow of the game you need to master where you are first when you want to be and not first when you don't want that. the theme might be a little off putting to some. It was too me and took me a long time to bite though I was sorry I waited so long after my first play.

If you aren't familiar with euros, El Grande might be the easier one to get comfortable with before moving on to PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both great games, IMHO. I have them both and I think our group prefers PG over El Grande because it works well with 6 and we ofter need a viable 6 pl game. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are both fantastic games with a good amount of screwage going on.

If you will usually have 5 players, then it comes down to your presonal preference area control vs. economics.

If your player number varies, then Power Grid is your best bet. It works well with any number 3-6.

El Grande is by far best with 5. 4 is okay. I have never tried it but I can't imagine that 3-player is any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy of El Grande. I like them both, but I think I like El Grande a little better. It is excellent with 4 or 5, but loses a lot with 3. (And I've heard it's terrible with 2, but I don't know firsthand.)

Power Grid is very good with 4-6. It's OK with 3, but I prefer more.

I know this doesn't help much, but either choice would be good. Maybe you could look into buying one this time, and buying the other one next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Power Grid is great and definitely comes close to the hype as "5th greatest game ever", IMO. Never played El Grande!

Eeny meeny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love El Grande, but it's really a 5-player game. In fact, I remember that before it came out, it was hard to find 5-player Euros that one could finish in a reasonable amount of time (Die Macher is a great game, but it's a load to get to the table.) El Grande changed all that. I rate it a '10' and would always be delighted to play it.

I rate Power Grid a notch lower, at '9', but it has in its favor that it works very well with 4, 5 or 6, and works quite well with 3. So if I were you, I'd make up my mind based on how many people you expect to be playing with. If you have the luxury of playing the game only when you have 5, I'd go with El Grande, but if you need a game that also works with 4 or 6, you should pick Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow - both are great games and I've played both. I prefer Power Grid because I can't think of any game quite like it. Also I have never seen a game so easy to get to the table that is almost universally accepted (at least with the gamers I game with). El Grande is area majority - there are tons of games like it, but it may be the best of that genre. While I don't own it (because I have several area majority games), I would play it anytime. I also agree with others who have said El Grande needs 4 or 5 and works best with 5. Power Grid plays ok with 3 and 6 but shines with 4 and 5. Slight edge to Power Grid in player number flexibility here.

One earlier commenter said that there is not much player interaction in Power Grid. Maybe I misunderstood because this couldn't be further from the truth. There are 3 main things happening in Power Grid. First you auction power plants and the bidding is the most tense of any game I've seen - definitely player interaction here. Next is buying resources. Again everytime you buy resources the price goes up for someone else and vice versa. And money, although not tight in this game, is often the difference in tiebreakers. Finally buying cities on the map is also very interactive. In fact this game is about as interactive as you can get without actual direct combat.

Bottom line - I have found when decisions are this tough and the games are that good I eventually get both. Just save your money and get both since they are nothing alike. If you buy on line and get to $100 there are several places that offer free shipping - get others to go in with you if you have to.

Looks like you have hours of gaming fun ahead of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:
... In fact this game is about as interactive as you can get without actual direct combat....

can't speak for everyone, but when I say interaction I usually mean doing something to another player - not "indirect" like Power Grid has alot of.
Interaction examples (by my definition):
Power Grid - plant auctions.
Catan - placing Robber, stealing a card, Playing Monopoly, trading resources.
Tigris & Euphrates - just about everything you do - internal and external conflicts, Catastrophe tiles, etc.
Chess - taking a piece.

ok, I'm stretching now, but you get the idea.

Indirect would be
Power Grid - route buying, resource buying, pole position getting.
Catan - blocking by roads, getting a settlement down first in a race for a position.
Puerto Rico - getting goods onto ships, choosing plantations, all role selection indirectly affects next players.
Macao and Le Havre - all your choices limit options for other players in nearly all areas - this is indirect action in a nutshell for me.

this is all my opinion, and really I just expanded because i wondered if the other poster was thinking something similar when he said low interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two great games, indeed. However, they are very different. El Grande is an area control game, more simple to learn and play, and faster than Power Grid. Power Grid requires a lot of math and calculation, and can be a little more difficult to play.
I have (and love) both, but if you don't have several euros in your collection, go to El Grand first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Both are excellent games but if I could only pick one it would be Power Grid... but you really SHOULD own and play both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good games.

In my opinion Power Grid has more staying power: After about 15 games of El Grande I am starting to enjoy it a lot less, while after 30-40 games of Power Grid I still love it.

However, El Grande is the lighter of the two (though it does not differ that much).

Finally, El Grande is best with 5, reasonably good with 4, and not interesting with other numbers. Power Grid is very good with 4 or 5, reasonably good with 3 or 6. So Power Grid can get to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. Both seem like excellent games that I'm sure my game group will enjoy. I'll post let you guys know what I end up purchasing in the end. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update, for anyone who cares. When it finally came down to it I could not make up my mind even with all of the great input so...I broke down and ordered them both. shake

Thank you all, I very much appreciated all of the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
bkimb wrote:
I broke down and ordered them both. shake

That's the spirit! Taking one for the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least we aren't talking about something like Steam and Age of Steam. PG and El Grande are different enough so you can validate both of them in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny enough I was also considering purchasing Steam. It looks like it would be a ton of fun, however I can't justify making another game purchase for several more months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked it up myself, and I'm going through it. I might be playing it this weekend. Kind of depends on how many show up during a non-typical game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion, mentioned earlier, is Tigris & Euphrates. It is realyl a fantastic game and I'd recommend looking into as a first "euro" game.

Truely though its more of a hybrid game, and perhaps one of the earliest examples. Low luck, no player elimination, but high on direct conflict and on the board interaction. Plays equally well with 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
bkimb wrote:
Just a quick update, for anyone who cares. When it finally came down to it I could not make up my mind even with all of the great input so...I broke down and ordered them both. shake

Thank you all, I very much appreciated all of the input.

Good call!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.