Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » General

Subject: Some simple component customization for my Westeros set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Battles of Westeros, Battles of Westeros: Wardens of the North, and Battles of Westeros: Wardens of the West, and I expect I will eventually own Battles of Westeros: House Baratheon Army Expansion. I love this game. Here's what I've done to customize some of the components.

LEADERS

This part was the most time-consuming. I put the figures through all the steps outlined in my minis painting guide, but rather than take the time to paint them in full colour, I went for a quick, monochromatic paint job that would be enough to bring out the details in the figures.

To more easily identify the individual leaders, I printed the name tags that were created by BGGer Nysalor onto label paper, sprayed them with a Krylon clear coat so that the ink wouldn't smudge as I handled them, cut them out, and stuck them onto the bases of the figures. I never in my life want to handle such tiny stickers again... angry ...however I do really enjoy the final result!

After the figures were fully painted, assembled, and stickerfied, I sprayed them with a coat of clear spray shellac to protect them and encourage the stickers to remain in place, and then with a matte clear coat to bring down the sheen of the shellac.

Even though I purchased the "premium" banner set, to further differentiate the leaders on the battlefield, I use the original banners with a splash of paint at the top of them, an idea that I stole from BGGer KenToad.

BOARD ITEMS

Speaking of BGGer KenToad, I also created his directional device by printing the file onto label paper, spraying it with the Krylon clear coat, sticking it onto cardboard, cutting it out, and adding a black and red die from another game.

In the above photo, you can also see wooden hexes that I spray-painted green to give a bit of elevation to my hills, trees under with I glued coins for greater stability, catapults re-purposed from Shadows over Camelot that my wife and I painted together, and a simple glass bead to act as the morale token.

STORAGE

I made use of some small storage containers purchased from a couple of different dollar stores to store many of the game's components. I've got one for the general game components:

In there you can also see acrylic Litko fire tokens with red dice that are placed next to them on the board in order to indicate the current fire level, that have replaced the original cardboard fire tokens.

I've also got a container for each player, one for Stark...

...and one for Lannister:

To store the non-leader unit figures, I've created labeled baggies that indicate the total number of figures of each type and the corresponding number of units. (Yes, I realize my baggies say "FU"...)

RULES

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that I learned the game with the valuable assistance of a fan-made rulebook. With all the errors, omissions, and inconsistencies in the original rules, I was so very grateful that BGGer KenToad and others put an immense amount of work into creating an incredibly helpful fan-made rulebook. If you're learning this game, go to this link, download the rules, and leave a thumb and a tip:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79221/battles-of-weste...

I cannot overstate what a great resource this is when used alongside the game's original rulebooks.

And hey, thanks for allowing me to show off my work! Cheers, and happy battling in Westeros! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! I really want to get into this game, but as it is now, I barely have time for the games I already own.

One question- and I don't exactly know how it works in this game- but instead of the red dice for fire level, wouldn't it look better on the board with additional litko fires for each level? Like have 3 fires for level 3, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
Looks great! I really want to get into this game, but as it is now, I barely have time for the games I already own.

One question- and I don't exactly know how it works in this game- but instead of the red dice for fire level, wouldn't it look better on the board with additional litko fires for each level? Like have 3 fires for level 3, etc...

Yes it would!

That was actually my original plan, however I realized that I simply don't have enough tokens for some scenarios. Mind you, what I could do is use just the tokens until I run out, then incorporate the dice if necessary (perhaps to indicate any fully burned terrain elements).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely awesome, Josh!

The Catapults are a great touch and Litko fire, brilliant, can't wait to see a shot of it in action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like commanders. What color(s) and washes do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Completely awesome, Josh!

The Catapults are a great touch and Litko fire, brilliant, can't wait to see a shot of it in action!

Those particular tokens are doing double duty with Defenders of the Realm:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KelemvorBGG wrote:
I really like commanders. What color(s) and washes do you use?

After prepping the figures, they were all primed with Tamiya Light Gray Fine Surface Spray Primer.

The Lannister figures received a base coat of Tamiya Hull Red acrylic paint, then a wash with Citadel Baal Red Wash. I initially drybrushed with Tamiya Flat Red, but it didn't provide enough contrast so I mixed the Flat Red with a generous amount of Tamiya Flat White and did a second coat of drybrushing.

My original plan was to base the Stark figures with Tamiya Film Grey, but it seemed a little too green so I think I ended up starting with Tamiya Sky Grey instead, and then used Citadel Badab Black Wash for the wash. For the drybrush, I mixed the Sky Grey with a lot of Flat White.

As described in the thread, I finished by spraying a coat of shellac first to protect the stickers and then a coat of Tamiya Clear Sray for a more matte finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.