Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this come up a few times so far:

No Contact is no PDF and no VOF and no spotted enemy
Contact is one occupied card with a VOF

There's a small blind spot between those two states where it's not really clear (to me) whether we should be at No Contact or Contact.

If US units are firing at an empty card (the Germans ran away), there are PDF's present and there is a spotted enemy BUT there are no occupied cards having VOF on them.

I'm playing this as Contact but it feels like cheating a little bit since I get easier PC checks as long as at least one of my guys keeps firing into the empty card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Peter. You're still at Contact because the level has not yet met the requirements to change. You are playing it correctly - not a blind spot .

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, No Contact happens only when there is no enemy VOF on US occupied cards. (But I may be wrong. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the errata to the 1st ed. rules.

Originally the contact levels depended on VOF in friendly cards, but it got changed to VOF on friendly or enemy cards. The contact level goes up to engaged much quicker that way (ie. 2 cards exchanging fire is enough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Hi, Peter. You're still at Contact because the level has not yet met the requirements to change. You are playing it correctly - not a blind spot .

Ricky

Thank you kindly for the quick answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Well, I hadn't been playing that way. But I'll be sure to start. I like that rule lots better .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the Contact rules doesn't necessarily measure ground truth but attempts to describe the commanders perspective.

The commander hears gunfire, he doesn't know exactly what or who is doing the firing but the noise does influence his decision making cycle.
He starts calling subordinates asking for information, he wastes time trying to find out what is going on.

Something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing it helps me to remember that although *I* can see - from my "God perspective" - that the Germans/Koreans/Vietnamese have vacated the card, my cardboard troops cannot. Therefore, in the OP's example, as far as the troops are concerned, there is still contact.

Thanks,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clearer though the rules should probably do away with the "occupied card" bit. A VOF on a card (occupied or not) qualifies as Contact.

My confusion arose from the fact that the situation fit neither the official definition of No Contact or Contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.