9 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tyrant Package Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Critical Geek

California
msg tools
I've been tweaking and tweaking and tweaking the alternative Tyrant victory condition rules to get something that felt right. Tyrant rules were proposed to deal with the problem of one player getting too many wins early on, making other players less interested in continuing the campaign. Few people like to lose over a period of weeks.

So here's my current incarnation. The Tyrant package. This being risk legacy, treat it as a sealed packet until the condition is satisfied.

Open at the beginning of a game where the number of players plus the number of any one player's signatures equal 9+, and all 9 minor cities are on the board.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Tyrant Package!
Power corrupts, and everyone knows it. Nobody trusts anyone who consolidates too much power. All players who meet the conditions for opening this packet are considered DESPOTS by the people of this world.
(note that you can be considered a despot in a 5 player game and then NOT be considered a DESPOT in a later 3 player game). The following rules apply to DESPOTS:

DESPOTS lose ties when defending major or minor cities they did not place.

A DESPOT's input may explicitly be ignored in any negotiation about opening the DNOE packet.

All players with 3 more signatures than required to be a DESPOT are considered a TYRANT. In addition to the effects of being a despot The following rules apply to TYRANTs:

A TYRANT's Draft pick is always after a non TYRANT's draft pick

A TYRANT is explicitly permitted to open the DNOE packet during a game without anyone else at the table's consent, regardless of other previous agreements about this package. All affects apply as if everyone present had opened it. (Yes, this STILL means the non-tyrant/despot players can negotiate when to open it without the tyrant's input, it's just that the tyrant also has the option to just open it without asking anyone else)

Add the following new draft cards:
0 bonus missiles 4
0 bonus missiles 3
1 bonus missile 3 May not be chosen by TYRANTS
1 bonus missile 5 May not be chosen by DESPOTS or TYRANTS
2 bonus missiles 3 May not be chosen by DESPOTS or TYRANTS

Lastly, WINNING CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED.
World Naming Rights are now determined in the following manner:
Note the number of the game when the 9th minor city was placed. Signatures on that line and all previous lines are worth that number of points. (For example, if all 9 cities are placed at the end of game 4, then games one through 4 are all worth 4 points). All games after that are worth points equal to their game number (so game 6 would be worth 6 points). In game 15, all resource coins held at the end of the game are also worth a point. Ties go to whoever named the most continents. Further ties go to whoever won the latest game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Edit: Never mind. I just read it wrong. I confused the player numbers with the missile bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read this, but I'm considering asking my girlfriend to print it and seal it in an envelope and then we can stick it in the box and use it. I notice there's only one comment, however, so I'm wondering how much effect it has and how much it's been playtested to keep balance etc.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Geek

California
msg tools
For the most part, it's just the repackaged tyrant rules as written by the designer. My tweaks involve definitions, and...things that address what else goes out of whack when someone starts running away with it.

Think of it this way: add "open when one of your regular players starts whining about having no chance to name the planet."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I wasn't aware of the official tyrant rules? I'll get my girlfriend on the case

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
What were those again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Geek

California
msg tools
Compilation thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Im Fa
United States
Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Any chance of turning this into a printable package and envelope image? Like the bonus cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.