Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I had the chance to sit down and play Carnival this weekend at the Origins Game Faire with the game's creator, Cherliyn of Greater Than Games (Dice Hate Me Games). I had followed the game's Kickstarter campaign with interest but ultimately decided to pass on the game because it seemed too simplistic for my tastes. However, I wanted to try the game in person and see for myself, since I had the opportunity.

WOW does this game have a lot of emergent strategy! It's not a terribly complex game, but it is very strategic and each roll of the dice provides a plethora of meaningful choices, not only for the current player, but for his or her opponents as well. I've only played that one time (I plan to play more, since I bought the game immediately after the demo!) so I don't want to do a full review, but I did want to share my experience in case there were others like me who passed on this one because they wanted a more strategic experience.

So if you are skeptical about its strategic depth, give Carnival a chance; it may just surprise you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like love this game. So easy to teach, and it's plays across different skill levels. So doesn't matter if you are a new gamer / experienced gamer, the rules are easy to grasp and it's a lot of fun for both. Definitely, one of my favourite kickstarter games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cherilyn Joy Lee Kirkman
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
I had the chance to sit down and play Carnival this weekend at the Origins Game Faire with the game's creator, Cherliyn of Greater Than Games (Dice Hate Me Games). I had followed the game's Kickstarter campaign with interest but ultimately decided to pass on the game because it seemed too simplistic for my tastes. However, I wanted to try the game in person and see for myself, since I had the opportunity.

WOW does this game have a lot of emergent strategy! It's not a terribly complex game, but it is very strategic and each roll of the dice provides a plethora of meaningful choices, not only for the current player, but for his or her opponents as well. I've only played that one time (I plan to play more, since I bought the game immediately after the demo!) so I don't want to do a full review, but I did want to share my experience in case there were others like me who passed on this one because they wanted a more strategic experience.

So if you are skeptical about its strategic depth, give Carnival a chance; it may just surprise you!

Thanks for giving Carnival a play, Galen! And I greatly appreciate you recounting your experience.

Looking forward to running into you again in the future
Cherilyn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cherilyn Joy Lee Kirkman
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
I really like love this game. So easy to teach, and it's plays across different skill levels. So doesn't matter if you are a new gamer / experienced gamer, the rules are easy to grasp and it's a lot of fun for both. Definitely, one of my favourite kickstarter games

Your unyielding support - as always - is so wonderful, Mercedes!

Thank you much
Cherilyn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.