Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many 2-player blitz conquest games, we have played a few full conquest games. We have found that we have no problem sweeping the whole map and conquering the cities before the third night. We used level 5 cities in our last game but it didn't matter. We plan on jump to level 7 cities and maybe use a bigger map.

What is your sweet spot for city levels? Do you add more tiles to the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want to add more tiles to the map deck?
You can make bigger map even when your deck is empty.
You can find that in the rules.
And changing the amount of tiles in the deck may cause better units to hire later.
I'm far from creating any house rules yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the 14th 2p full conquest, we have found our sweet spot with level 18 Megapolis (9+9).
Still we generally end the game at the beginning of the third night.
We play with no other optional rule other than Megapolis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:
After many 2-player blitz conquest games, we have played a few full conquest games. We have found that we have no problem sweeping the whole map and conquering the cities before the third night. We used level 5 cities in our last game but it didn't matter. We plan on jump to level 7 cities and maybe use a bigger map.

What is your sweet spot for city levels? Do you add more tiles to the map?

Why do you want to increase the city levels? That's the question. The more you increase the city levels, the more you will skew the game toward the importance of acquiring the cards that are strong against large groups. This seems like a significant luck factor and something that doesn't really improve the game.

Depending on a bunch of factors (including how fast we explore to the gold tiles, and how much PvP we have), sometimes we finish 2p full conquest in the second night, sometimes the second city isn't conquered even at the end of the third night. I don't see (yet) any reason why the game would be better if the cities were harder to conquer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

With the Wedge map, often once you have drawn all of the tiles there are no legal places to add more tiles. Sometimes there are one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
You can find that in the rules.
And changing the amount of tiles in the deck may cause better units to hire later.
I'm far from creating any house rules yet...

Hummm. To do more things before the game ends

As David said it's usual that you can't and more than one tile that way.

The rulebook includes increasing the game map as a variant but it doesn't specify a way. I thought about adding more brown non-city tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:
At the 14th 2p full conquest, we have found our sweet spot with level 18 Megapolis (9+9).

That's two 18 level cities? Sounds pretty hard. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Why do you want to increase the city levels? That's the question. The more you increase the city levels, the more you will skew the game toward the importance of acquiring the cards that are strong against large groups. This seems like a significant luck factor and something that doesn't really improve the game.

Depending on a bunch of factors (including how fast we explore to the gold tiles, and how much PvP we have), sometimes we finish 2p full conquest in the second night, sometimes the second city isn't conquered even at the end of the third night. I don't see (yet) any reason why the game would be better if the cities were harder to conquer.

It felt too easy with level-4 cities. We like the epicness of 3 days and nights, but it feels less a challenge than blitz conquest. I see your point, though. Thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:
we have found our sweet spot with level 18 Megapolis

Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also thought of playing 2p Full Conquest on the "Open limited to 3 columns" map. I think it might be slightly less susceptible to weird map-building effects. I haven't tried it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:

Does that mean one individual city, and one Megapolis? Or two Megapolis? The problem with one lower-level city and one Megapolis is that if two players are on opposite sides of the map, it will make a big difference who happens to explore for the first city. I would rather play with two equal cities.

I would still be concerned that the luck of the draw becomes huge. Some of the artifacts are just crazy strong when you are facing huge groups. A couple of the spells are huge too, but you have some influence over what spells you get---there's nothing you can do to influence what artifacts you draw, just look for more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:

How on earth do you take on a level 18 megalopolis? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
How on earth do you take on a level 18 megalopolis? wow

There is certainly more than one way, but think of using the Banner of Fear to ignore all enemy attacks (for example), and it starts to seem not so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means 2 Megapolis 9+9 and 9+9. I played a lot with my wife, we start with the scenario as suggested by the rulebook, but we found we finish it at the beginning of the second night. So we start strenghten the cities (1 or 2 level each match) to found a more challenging environment.
You are right, something change in the way we play... before (with level4) it was a rush towards the cities. Now you are forced to think a strategy for the massive assault... it's not so much luck based because there are a lot of cards (basically spell that are open in the offer, artifacts, and also some unit in the late game) that you can use for an assault. It just involves more planning... for me it's more strategic,and, of course, more epic! :)
However the best thing of this game is that you can trim it to your tastes, so it's just about founding (and changing, of course!) your "sweet spot"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Prometeo wrote:

How on earth do you take on a level 18 megalopolis? :wow:

Breaking banner of fear, using wings of wind, tremor, expose, altem mages, the spell which ignore fortification ... there are many ways! Generally in the first assault the objective is to take out the most annoyng monster (paralysing one) and the ones that does most damage, taking max. 4-5 wounds. Then you have time for a second or even a third wave...
Please consider also that in the first assault you can do even 20-30 fame in a turn... even if you end up badly wounded, you have good advantage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Would love to see a session or video session of something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pippers wrote:
Would love to see a session or video session of something like this.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.