Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a post by Richard Baker on his blog (http://richard-baker.blogspot.ca/2012/06/conquest-of-nerath-...), after mentioning that the game "won the Origins award for best boardgame of 2011" (something I hadn't heard about elsewhere), he goes on to adress the dragons mechanic in the game.

Quote:

"If there’s one mechanic I’d change for the game, it’s dragons. We were all over the place in development and playtesting for the cost of the dragon and the exact lineup of its special abilities. (At one point, dragons cost 7 gold each.) But in the real world with thousands of people playing the game, dragons turned out to be too good. It’s hard to see why you don’t just build a stack of 4 or 5 dragons and use that as your army. So, here’s my simple recommendation: You can’t ever have more than 1 dragon of your color in the same space. Dragons are extremely suspicious and paranoid toward their own kind, and never willingly cooperate with each other. If for some reason you end your turn with 2 or more dragons in the same space, they fight until only 1 is left.

The dragon "problem" really isn’t a problem until you have multiple dragons in the same space and multiple hits you can negate. This rule patches that nicely without nerfing the value of an individual dragon in your army. Anyway, if you play Conquest of Nerath and dragons are a problem, try this as a houserule.
"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this, I would never have found it otherwise. We have had some problems, so this fixes them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, glad to be useful. Thanks for the tip!

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, many thanks for passing that along. Sounds like just the thing needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent fix! THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not the only thing this game needs to make it playable. Some balance in the treasure cards would be a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dasrak Drathus
msg tools
Interesting approach; much more restrictive but a bit cleaner than the house-rules I use. However, he's saying two different things:

Quote:
You can’t ever have more than 1 dragon of your color in the same space.

Quote:
If for some reason you end your turn with 2 or more dragons in the same space, they fight until only 1 is left.

Statement 1 indicates that you can't have multiple dragons fight in the same battle. Statement 2 indicates that you can have multiple dragons fight in the same battle so long as they reposition to different stacks afterwards.

The second interpretation looks to be the more interesting rule, potentially allowing for a decisive attack but leaving dragons very open to counter-attack by forcing them to spread out across multiple territories. Probably want to remove the dragon-slaying event cards under either interpretation.

bearn wrote:
That's not the only thing this game needs to make it playable. Some balance in the treasure cards would be a good start.

The treasure cards are all over the place in terms of power. Very few actually fall into the range of "average", and most treasure cards are either distinctly overpowering or underwhelming. I took a crack at drafting conceptual house-rules on treasure cards, but abandoned it once I realized I was basically reworking the deck rather than patching up one or two extreme effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dasrak wrote:
Quote:
If for some reason you end your turn with 2 or more dragons in the same space, they fight until only 1 is left.

Statement 1 indicates that you can't have multiple dragons fight in the same battle. Statement 2 indicates that you can have multiple dragons fight in the same battle so long as they reposition to different stacks afterwards.

No, it says that if you end with two dragons in the same space, then you remove all but one (due to conflict between them) before any battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do another house rule too... it gets annoying to see dragons fly to an empty area (or more than one area with more dragons) and capture land and fly back! This is like fighters/bombers taking over land in A&A which never happens!

We made the rule, in order to have Dragons take over an area, there has to be at least (1) enemy unit there (just maybe you will get 2 lucky rolls against a dragon's bad first roll!)

We will have to try your house rule as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like this idea

However I also like Dragons, so here is a variant of the 'House-Rule'

"EXCEPTION: If the Dragons are accompanied by 'Heroes' on a one to one basis They do not fight to the last"

Explanation (other than that I like dragons) - this represents the notion of Dragon Lords and Dragon Riders so prevalent in modern day fantasy fiction having some control over the natural urges of the solitary Dragon, it also presents another reason for not sending heroes into dungeons

-John

(ps health warning - I have not tried this out!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dasrak Drathus
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Dasrak wrote:
Quote:

No, it says that if you end with two dragons in the same space, then you remove all but one (due to conflict between them) before any battles.

I meant to say without losing the dragons. From a practical perspective, there will rarely be a difference between "you can't do that" and "if you do that, you'll automatically lose a 5 GP piece".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Moody
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how these are synonymous.
The "end of turn" seems clear; the proposition that end of step was meant, I am unsure of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please tell me (and my other fellow players), why with all the power dragons have, they also get double movement?

A huge exploit we found is dragons flying in; taking land; flying out again. They are OP enough as it it, let alone giving "Bombers" the ability to take land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.