Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo rules it states that the winning conditions are:

"You win by having NO Goblins when your turn is over. It is okay if you have Fairies when your turn is over. As long as you have no Goblins, you win!"

Is this no goblins in your hand or no Goblins _anywhere_? (i.e. NO goblins either in your hand or in the fairy ring). The latter makes the second sentence a bit curious as I must have the same number of fairies as cards I started with...

Is it possible to achieve no Goblins _anywhere_ always, as it would make a nice "advanced solitaire victory condition"?

My last solitaire game was a 7-7 and I managed to get all the fairies into my hand bar 4 (one of each "suit"), which I think is theoretically best I could do?

Although if I place a fairy in a ring consisting of just fairies with the same symbol as those fairies, but not rhyming with any of them, I could end up with just one fairy in the ring and all the rest in my hand, but I don't think this is _always_ possible.

p.s. What do the numbers do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello h3me,

I've been playing no Goblins in the 'hand' wins. I shared the same interest in trying to 'banish' all goblins. Check out my previous post http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/811414/a-lone-wolf-enters-th...

As far as the 'numbers' are concerned, they don't actually have a game play reason; it's just to put the 'cards together' for the print and play.

Hope this helps. Have a great one!

RavenTroll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Simon,
You win when you have no Goblins in front of you (your hand.) To answer your question about no goblins anywhere, the best you could get is 1 Goblin left in the fairy ring (since the last card you played would have to be a Goblin.)

Make sense?

And Serge is correct about the numbers, they are only for the PnP version, and only as a guide for pairing the correct Fairies and Goblins when putting together the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
gameogami wrote:
To answer your question about no goblins anywhere, the best you could get is 1 Goblin left in the fairy ring (since the last card you played would have to be a Goblin.)

Make sense?
Not really. The last card I play to the faerie ring could be a faerie according to the rules? In fact, for my advanced winning condition, that _has_ to be the case!

gameogami wrote:
And Serge is correct about the numbers, they are only for the PnP version, and only as a guide for pairing the correct Fairies and Goblins when putting together the cards.
Ah. That makes sense. I cut them out in their pairs anyway before folding them in half, but I can see that without the numbers, I wouldn't know what the pairs were!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
h3rne wrote:
gameogami wrote:
To answer your question about no goblins anywhere, the best you could get is 1 Goblin left in the fairy ring (since the last card you played would have to be a Goblin.)
Make sense?

Not really. The last card I play to the faerie ring could be a faerie according to the rules? In fact, for my advanced winning condition, that _has_ to be the case!

The reason the last card has to be a Goblin, is because for the solo game, the win condition is to get rid of all your Goblins. So once you add your last Goblin to the Fairy Ring without taking a new one, the game is over - and there remains at least one Goblin in the Fairy Ring.

Now, your advanced win condition could work if you continue to play even after that moment, to try and make any remaining Goblins flip over. I haven't tried it, but it sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]
Now, your advanced win condition could work if you continue to play even after that moment, to try and make any remaining Goblins flip over. I haven't tried it, but it sounds fun!

[/q]

It is but you're playing with fire. I've tried it a couple of times but then it opened a can of worms that I could'nt contain as goblins were coming out of the woodwork again . Sometimes the victory is best left alone whistle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENTROLL wrote:
I've tried it a couple of times but then it opened a can of worms that I could'nt contain as goblins were coming out of the woodwork again . Sometimes the victory is best left alone whistle...
Indeed.

I set up your "Lone Wolf" games session and played through it. I _think_ I found a _perfect_ solution, but it's about 20 moves longer. I even think perhaps that your "win" state might even be "further away" than the starting position. Analysis to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
h3rne wrote:
...Analysis to follow.

An 11 round "flawless solution" for Raventroll's initial set up is now available on his session thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... maybe I shouldn't quit so easily the next time blush ... thx Simon. This just goes to prove that the game has much strategy to consider, and the solitary version just became much more interesting devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.