Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Corasian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're new to Acquire and the rules in our 2008 version felt ambiguous after multiple readings. We were puzzled on first play about how to determine the size of the shareholder bonuses and the stock price after a merger. Is it the total size of the merged company or the pre-merger size of the acquired company?

Luckily the much-better-written 1999 rules are available online and explain that all bonuses and prices are related to the now-defunct company, not the merged company. In other words, players use the name and number of tiles in the defunct company to determine bonuses and stock price.

I had looked through the forum to see if anyone else had this issue, and didn't see anything. Either we're poor rules-readers or everyone who buys the 2008 Acquire already knows how to play! I thought I would post this here in case anyone else has the issue. I found the 1999 rules here:
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/acquire.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fairly new to the game as well and only have 2008 rules. It must be covered pretty clearly in there someplace as we have been playing it correctly based on size of the acquired company. I know there are some illustrated examples which may have been where I gleaned that from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the size of the company when it enters themerger, i.e., before the merger is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...the pre-merger size of the acquired company?

That one.

Company A acquires Company B creating a really big Company A. Stock payouts are based on the size of Company B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with nothing but the 1971 rules. Playing it right also. And the rules fit in the box lid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.