Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've realised that I'm basically rubbish at strategy beyond anything extremely short-term. My only win has been through sheer luck and a nujing of Venezuela.

With the drafting rules, I've worked out that getting a combo of First Turn, Last Placement can throw up the option for a Blitz on an enemy HQ on the first turn. Starting before anyone you place after can give you this option, of course.

Do any vets or tactic-savvy players have any useful thoughts or tips in this area?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That can work. It also helps if the player you are attacking has only 6 troops and is not Die Mech. Being Enclave can make this easier as well.

I've never done this however because I'm not sure how the other players would react to you basically starting with two HQs.

Player Eliminated spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
an ability in this pack could also greatly improve the possibilities of this strategy. Combine that with the Bears' power and you'd be pretty set I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To what benefit would be this blitz? So you can note in your 'defeated' column that you were a temporary leader that game?

You're likely to suffer substantial casualties taking that HQ. Thus when your turn ends you'll be the proud holder of two HQs and neither one particularly well-defended. You just become the prey for the next player down the line. He'll now have an oppontunity to take one of those HQs that's even less defended than the one you took was when you took it.

This game is no marathon, but it's not the 100m dash either, and if you start a 5k race like it's a 100m dash ... sure, you'll be the first to 100m but everyone else will overtake you before the race is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'mnot advocating leaving myself open if I can avoid it. Indonesia as a starting loc with nobody else too close, for example, and an 8 or 10 troop start isn't too damgerous if there's another players HQ in Australia.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if no one else is close to the two I'd try it. I did it in one of the Digital Earth games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first turn blitz gets more and more viable as you accumulate more missiles. Be willing to spend them early to minimize your losses and defend your newly acquired front runner status. The best time to try this is if both you and the victim drafted started coins. If your starting coins plus the victims coins plus the coin you'd receive at the end of the round puts you at 5 coins for turn 2, then it is probably worth it. Depending on the packs that are open and the territories in the opening sideboard, there's a variety of paths to 5 coins.

Due to needing missiles,richly developed territory cards, and possibly some faction powers, this tactic becomes more and more viable as the world becomes more mature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K

Illinois
msg tools
We have one faction, Die Mech: HQ is always fortified and WELL ARMED- add 1 to all attack dice against HQ.

We have only had this faction with well armed for one game so no one has thought of this. but this strategy would work wonders with this faction. After you defeat them, your original HQ would still be a great defense. I am curious if I placed the HQ in a legal spot 2 spaces away, would I be better off as the attacker or the defender if the troops were close enough (8 vs 9, 10 vs 11)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I was able to pull this kind of blitz last night. I had an excellent draft where I got 10 troops, First Turn, 2 coins, and my favorite faction. I committed to the blitz entirely for the coin cards. Doing this, I was able to buy a red star at the beginning of turn two.

Note, I made no attempt to hold the HQ afterwards. In fact, I also abandoned my own HQ preferring instead to hole up at the local
Spoiler (click to reveal)
mercenary encampment (I was the convincing faction).

While my neighbors fought over the two HQs, I struck out at week territories to gain cards. At the end, I turned in cards for troops and took three HQs in one turn including recapturing my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.