Popular Tags: [View All]
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I'm considering buying MK:BG, but am a bit worried about the steep learning curve. Just to get an idea of its complexity, how would you say it stacks up against WotR? That's the most complicated game I've ever learned. Turned out to be well worth the time investment. But I remember that slogging through the rules and trying to keep it all in my head felt brutal at first....

Would you say they are roughly comparable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've had WoTR since first release and I've never got it to the table. Yet MK I've played many times.

Far easier I'd say (for me at least). There's a lot to it but it all makes sense and just clicks. The walkthrough rules are really helpfull too.

Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this is about five times more complicated than War of the Ring.

However, the main thing that makes WOTR hard to learn to play well is not complexity of the systems, but that you really have to know all of the cards. This game doesn't require knowing the cards in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
tbh i think that mage knight is quiet an easy game, you just have to picture the actual fight and then you ll understand how it works and why.

the hard part is just detail stuff, like resistances on units, how to attack a fortified site, how to attack a rampaging creature, do wounds go back to your deck at the end of the round, etc. just details

Which you'll understand after playing a couple of times. I think I figured out everything after playing like 3-4 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the games are about on par with each other complexity wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be alright. About the same complexity level to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO Mage Knight is much easier to learn. The rules may have the same level of complexity but rules of MK are more logical and much better written. WotR is a mess in comparison. Plus, as DaviddesJ said, knowing the rules is not enough to play WoTR efficiently: you also have to know the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruelsader wrote:
IMHO Mage Knight is much easier to learn. The rules may have the same level of complexity but they are more logical and much better written. WotR is a mess in comparison. Plus, as DaviddesJ said, knowing the rules is not enough to play WoTR efficiently: you also have to know the cards.

I will agree with all of that. I still think MKBG is a considerably more complicated game than WOTR (e.g., it's got two separate combat systems, each of which has more small details than WOTR does), but that doesn't make it harder to learn. There are a lot of other factors than complexity that influence how hard it is to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would allso say that Mages Knight is harder, because there are so many details and small things. The basic system is not bad, but a lot of little things to remember.
But the rulebook is better in MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I were expecting a steep learning curve going in. After our first play through the walk through we were worried that the learning curve was going to be even more painful than we anticipated. However a solo play each really helped us both, and now we rarely have to consult the rulebook when playing...in short the first game hurt but after that the learning curve was not near as bad as it looked to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Thomas
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, the first game is pretty rough, but once you see how it all fit's together the only thing you will be looking up is specific monster traits.

Really, MK is an extremely well designed game and it works very smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much that MK is complicated, it's just that it's fiddly. The basic rules and flow of the game make a lot of sense and can be internalized fairly quickly, but there are a ton of exceptions and little icons to look up and things to remember each step of the way. It's the kind of game where you'll probably notice you missed something or did something wrong the first few times you play it. It's also the kind of game that's much easier to learn if you have an experienced player at the table who takes responsibility for keeping an eye out for all the finicky things that new players are likely to miss.

In that sense it reminds me a lot of learning to play Arkham Horror. The game is actually really simple if you can remember all the little gotchas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.