Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
That's ridiculous. The judges decision is a thing of beauty, though. Whole text linked from the article and available here: http://www.civil-rights-law.com/storage/OrderGrantingKnockan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
On some level they should be allowed to lie, or else under cover operations would not be possible. However, clearly a line has been crossed here. Uniformed police officers should never be telling lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BJ, good post. I link to the following video at least once a year here on BGG and also on my FB account. Now with G+ I'll start putting it there. It's kind of long so if you really aren't interested in how to stay out of jail even if innocent, by all means, don't watch it.

On the other hand, if you, or a friend, or a relative or child should ever be witness to a crime or be accused of a crime, hell, even one they committed, then you are probably going to jail or at least going to have a very hard time in your life if you don't know what this law professor is giving you for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just one of a whole host of standard lies that police tell.

A friend of my brothers says that he and his fellow cops love the various CSI shows because now people think they can do things they can't remotely do. If a suspect won't admit that he was at the scene of the crime they just comment about how they're doing a spectromography on his shoeprint for the sneaker database and that'll confirm whether or not he was there.

Rules are really important -- not just in the trivial sense that police need to follow them, but in the broader sense that the rules of the game (whatever game) will eventually define the actions of players in that game. If Courts allow "knock and talk" then it's inevitable that police will use it. I'd favor a broad rule that (in the spirit of the 5th amendment) a person's home is their castle. The police should only be able to enter with a warrant or invitation and they should only be able to do anything with evidence that relates to specific activities in the warrant. If they knock on your door and you invite them in (sans warrant) they shouldn't be able to arrest you unless you commit a fresh crime in front of them.

Police, in ChadWorld wrote:
You seem to have a dead body there, Sir. Makes me wish I had a warrant. Have a nice day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciation for board games and booze, and mistrust of police. These seem to be the only issues on which the vast majority of us agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Appreciation for board games and booze, and mistrust of police. These seem to be the only issues on which the vast majority of us agree.

I don't drink, but you can replace one sound in "booze" and I'm in.

(I'm old, and love a good snooze. Wait, that wasn't it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The current supreme court keeps ruling in favor of more and more power for the police. The conservative justices are supposed to be for limited governmental power, but they usually go the other way when it is police vs. individuals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Boots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Boots?

Cooze? No wait! That would be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Boots?

Cooze? No wait! That would be me.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Tripp. You're kind of hard to take, but I wouldn't go so far as to call you names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Boots?

Well, I do like a woman in boots...but I was thinking of good old fashioned boobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Boots?

Well, I do like a woman in boots...but I was thinking of good old fashioned boobs.

I know. I am make joke, for you the laughings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
old fashioned boobs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
old fashioned boobs

None of these techno-whatsit new boobs, these twitters you kids are all talking about. Just the old-fashioned kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

This thread went downhill fast.

Like old fashioned boobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A friend of my brothers says that he and his fellow cops love the various CSI shows because now people think they can do things they can't remotely do. If a suspect won't admit that he was at the scene of the crime they just comment about how they're doing a spectromography on his shoeprint for the sneaker database and that'll confirm whether or not he was there.

Another aspect of television that more and more people are buying into is the premise that only the guilty need a lawyer. ("He's 'lawyering up'. He's hiding something".) NCIS is probably the worst offender, though all cop shows have done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
The current supreme court keeps ruling in favor of more and more power for the police. The conservative justices are supposed to be for limited governmental power, but they usually go the other way when it is police vs. individuals.

That's because, while conservatives SAY they're for freedom, the only type of freedom they're actually after is economic freedom. Free from taxes. Free to invest as they see fit. But they couldn't care less about actual freedom, which is why they vote to outlaw abortion, public protests, private sexual behavior, recreational drug use, and for police powers like we're discussing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Quote:

Another aspect of television that more and more people are buying into is the premise that only the guilty need a lawyer. ("He's 'lawyering up'. He's hiding something".) NCIS is probably the worst offender, though all cop shows have done this.

Yeah, no police would ever railroad and prosecute an innocent person... *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:

That's because, while conservatives SAY they're for freedom, the only type of freedom they're actually after is economic freedom. Free from taxes. Free to invest as they see fit. But they couldn't care less about actual freedom, which is why they vote to outlaw abortion, public protests, private sexual behavior, recreational drug use, and for police powers like we're discussing.

That doesn't sound like Jarred the Conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

Because he forgot the "your mom" joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

Because he forgot the "your mom" joke?

Bro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

So you disagree with the items I've listed? Are you suggesting they were put in place by liberals?? Or by RINOs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

So you disagree with the items I've listed? Are you suggesting they were put in place by liberals?? Or by RINOs?

I'm a conservative who loves gays, weed*, and brown people.

*I don't use it myself but I want you to feel free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

Or BJ the Conservative.

It's almost like that conservative exists entirely in Paul's head.

Or he-who-shall-not-be-named. That actually sounds about right for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
pdoherty wrote:

Or BJ the Conservative.

It's almost like that conservative exists entirely in Paul's head.

Or he-who-shall-not-be-named. That actually sounds about right for him.

To be fair, I do have some relatives who are basically the conservatives Paul describes, but I think they're dying off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.