Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that the archer can place cubes on any event card, but it seems thematically strange that you can 'attack' a drought with archers.

The Drought event is usually 'attacked' with yellow dice, too, which makes thematic sense.

Has anyone else encountered this? What have you decided?

Many thanks,

BP. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Orban
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
bonnieprince wrote:
The rules say that the archer can place cubes on any event card,

BP. shake

that's true, on every event card !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided (in general) not to place too much significance on real-world counterparts to game elements. The game is defined by its mechanics, the rulebook lays out those mechanics. The rulebook says "an Event card," it doesn't say "an Event card representing something that might plausibly be pelted with arrows." That would take too much room, and it would require judgment calls on each card.

But if you want a thematic explanation, okay, your archers are actually shooting the guys who caused the drought by diverting your river (like da Vinci and Machiavelli tried to do to the Arno).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanking you both kindly for your helpful responses. Time to deal out the cards for another game!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonnieprince wrote:
The rules say that the archer can place cubes on any event card, but it seems thematically strange that you can 'attack' a drought with archers.

The Drought event is usually 'attacked' with yellow dice, too, which makes thematic sense.

Has anyone else encountered this? What have you decided?

Many thanks,

BP. shake

Don't think of it as them "shooting" the drought. Think of it as the manpower being diverted from military matters to agricultural matters. They are turning their quivers into water buckets. Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...or those archers are protecting remaining water supplies from poachers...angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mb
...or shooting arrows laced with silver iodide into the clouds to make it rain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.