GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,275 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Compounded» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Very Brief Preview of Compounded from Origins 2012 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional reviewer/previewer by any stretch. I'm just a guy who got to play a game and wanted to share some info about it. I can try to answer questions, but your best bet is to reach out to the designer

Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I tried to type up a summary of game play, but my recollection is starting to get fuzzy and I don't want to do the game any injustice, so please don't judge the game solely on my description below.

The basics are you have compound cards face up, with color-coded element spots and a spot for a claim marker. Each compound card has a point value, and a skill indicator to let you know which of your base skills you'll be able to increase as a result of completing the compound, as well as icons for the items you can collect for completing them. Some compounds let you become "Head Scientist" who acts first the next round, or allow you to get "grants" which let you increase one of your skills and makes you increase a skill of one of your competitors.

You randomly draw elements from a bag, storing them on your player board until you get the chance to start placing them on compounds. You can trade elements between players, as well as items, and even placement of elements ("If you place a Sulfur on my compound, I'll put two Hydrogens on yours) The available elements are Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Calcium, Carbon, and Sulfur. Each one has a different amount available in the supply, Hydrogen being the most available.

Some of the compounds are flammable, and as compounds are completed and new cards are drawn, some cards represent a lab fire, which will cause any flammable compounds on the table to increase their flame level. If a compound ever reaches it's max flame level it explodes, removing it from the table and scattering any elements placed on it to available neighboring compounds, or back into the element draw bag.

The number of compounds you can claim, the number of elements you can place, the number of elements you can draw, and the number of elements you can store can all be upgraded by completing compound cards.

The first player to make it to Tin on the periodic table of elements (i.e. score 50 points, the atomic number of Tin) is the winner. triggers the end game. My recollection is a little fuzzy on this, but I believe there's one more round of play, but without the element draw phase.

EDIT: Corrected end game details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Purtell
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a point of clarification, I don't think the first to 50 is the winner, but rather triggers end game, where there is one more additional full round (excluding the draw/trade phase, called 'Discovery').

Of course, we played a prototype, so this could all change anyway It was great playing this with you - this game completely took me by surprise and I can't wait to try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Greene
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the brief overview of gameplay, but Was it any good? Did you have Fun? I'd like to hear some personal input on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soupmanx wrote:
As a point of clarification, I don't think the first to 50 is the winner, but rather triggers end game, where there is one more additional full round (excluding the draw/trade phase, called 'Discovery').

Thanks, Shawn. I knew I was going to get something wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pikaia wrote:
Thanks for the brief overview of gameplay, but Was it any good? Did you have Fun? I'd like to hear some personal input on the game.

I loved it. The components and artwork, while still in prototype form were very clean and crisp. I'm a fan of "draw X blindly" mechanics. I know it introduces a lot of luck and randomness, but I personally think it increases tension and makes for a more dramatic game, so I loved drawing for elements. Honestly, I'm not a big trading game guy. But with Compounded, I actually loved the trading mechanic. The fact that you could barter items, element placement, and elements themselves really added a fun dimension to it.

I would have bought it mid-game, if I could've. That's how much I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Soot Sprite
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's more like it! A 'review' needs your opinion, not just the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its technically a preview, since I only got one play in :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stumbled across this game. As someone with a degree in chemistry, I'm very excited about it. So the periodic table is the scoreboard? I like it. If Dice Hate ME need any more playtesters...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klu Briviu
Poland
GdaƄsk
Pomorze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Preciesly, a bunch of chemics are ready for playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in for playtesting too. This looks like an instant purchase once the kickstarter campaign starts. Me Want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The time has finally come! Compounded launched on Kickstarter tonight.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/compounded-be...

And if there was any question, I still stand by my preview/review and cannot wait to get my own copy of Compounded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.