Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hosch
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering purchasing the ASL Rulebook and Beyond Valor. Can this first module be played solo? I would like to teach myself the game before trying to bring it to my club. (Or maybe playing online.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leong Yew Lam
Malaysia
Seri Kembangan
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is now a matter whether the module can be played solo. It has to do with the scenarios and BV is the first and essential module required in ASL.

Some of the scenarios that are good for solo sessions can be downloaded from MMP website ....suggest scenario A : Guards Counterattack. Even the scenario 1 (Fighting Withdrawal) can be done ...but it has units in HIP for the russians. I have personally done FW solo ...but it is different when playing FtF.

anyway ...welcome to the world of ASL...and BV is the first step (after ASLRB of course).

Alternatively, you can go for ASL Module 2 (Paratrooper) which is out of print but can still be sourced thru ebay. There are some scenarios here that are good for solo sessions.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond Valor is - in general - a dreadful module to run solo. There are scenarios that work, but many of them rely on hidden units or concealed units & dummy stacks and don't work as well.

If you are teaching yourself ASL, you'd do a lot better starting with the ASL Starter Kits, which play a lot better solo (esp. #1), as they don't have as much hidden stuff. The nice thing about starting with the SKs is they teach you all the basics of the game, because the rules for ASL aren't really set up for learning the game.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hosch
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Beyond Valor cannot be played solo?

I tried finding Guards Counterattack on MMP's website, but it is no longer downloadable. I guess that I can play a few turns against myself, just to try and understand the rules.

Edit: I found that right page and downloaded Guards Counterattack. Now I just need to order the book and 1st module, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It *can* be played solo (I've got a bunch of solo reports), but it's not particularly good played solo.

Games with hidden information have that problem, and there's a lot of hidden information in full ASL, including units that aren't set up on the map at the beginning of the game, but only recorded by your opponent.

How familiar are you with wargames, and hex'n'counter wargames in particular?

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hosch
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than 40 years ago, ahem, I owned and played Blitzkrieg. I have also played V for Victory on an old Mac some 20 or so years ago, and recently Memoir '44 (too much luck for my taste). Other turn-based strategy games (that include tactical battle, though I guess not true wargames) that I have played include: all of the series Romance of the Three Kingdoms (consoles and PC), Battle for Wesnoth (PC), Diplomacy, Game of Thrones, chess, go, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play ASL solo a lot - at the beginning, in the eighties, I had no choice, having no opponent in Switzerland.
It simply asks a "twist of the mind".

BTW, you can still download The Guards Counterattack (and other scenarios) here (under the title "Scenarios from ASL Classic") : http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/tabid/64/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
You can push around the counters and it's useful to learn the game rules. "How I solve this situation", "Which rule applies here", etc. But trying to play it "against the system" is not advisable as you're bound to commit a lot of rules mistakes.

Again, if you have to learn the game, better start with the Starter Kits. It's their purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Find VASL and istall it. Then go to th emain room and ask questions there or even watch a couple of games being played. It will give you a much better idea of how the game plays.
If myou are happy with playing solo then there's nothoing in BV that makes it any better or worse than other packs. the fact there is hidden or concealed stuff in the scenario will unbalance them but then so will the fact that you now what the attacker intends to do and how the defender intends to counter it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Paschall
United States
Thaxton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught myself the infantry rules from reading chapter A and reading Jay Richardson's excellent tutorials.

Then I played Guards Counterattack against myself on VASSAL, double-checking most everything in the rules as I went.

I am currently involved in two play-by-email VASSAL games with human opponents using infantry only scenarios:

- Gavin Take (ASL Classic T1)
- A Bloody Harvest

By the time I get done with those, I should have the basic infantry rules fairly covered. Although I need to find some with flamethrowers and demolition charges!

My collection is also just the rulebook and Beyond Valor. So I'm just a little bit ahead of you on the path you are taking, and I can assure you it is a rewarding one.

This game has a overwhelmingly welcoming community that supports it. Make use of all the resources available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hosch
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the rulebook and BV from MMP yesterday. I also installed Vassal, so I will try using it to resolve solo moves to check my understanding of the rules--once I read them, that is!

Thanks to everyone who has offered me advice. I hope to find some live--and very patient--opponents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Troxler
United States
Clover
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aidoneus wrote:
I ordered the rulebook and BV from MMP yesterday. I also installed Vassal, so I will try using it to resolve solo moves to check my understanding of the rules--once I read them, that is!

Thanks to everyone who has offered me advice. I hope to find some live--and very patient--opponents!

The training manual in the rulebook will be very helpful as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like William, I just got into ASL and am working through the ASLSK #1 rules ... for a guy with over 40 years wargaming experience I seem to need a lot of time to read 12 pages of rules! I did get the rulebook and BV, and am almost ready to set up BV scenario 1 for solo play, but ...

... I'm very lucky. Our local game club ( www.nycwargames.com ) Metropolitan Wargamers of NYC has a hard core of fanatic ASL players. We play frequently and have periodic ASL days.

If anyone is looking for PBEM Vassel opponents you should just drop by our Yahoo board and ask for an opponent. I'm sure one of the ASL crazies (which I am counting myself among) will be glad to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.