Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Ehlers
United States
Fairview Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I received a "Dragon Shield" treasure card in our game this evening and the question came up as to wether the item could be used as a mundane shield from the armorer or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
ZorajitZorajit wrote:
I received a "Dragon Shield" treasure card in our game this evening and the question came up as to wether the item could be used as a mundane shield from the armorer or not.

This is a very confusing question. Can you restate and/or elaborate on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume he means can the Dragon Shield only be used to cancel two attacks, or does it also have the additional property of adding +1 Toughness (being a shield). In my games I never allowed the +1T, as I figured +1T would have been printed on the card or something to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
garygnu wrote:
I assume he means can the Dragon Shield only be used to cancel two attacks, or does it also have the additional property of adding +1 Toughness (being a shield). In my games I never allowed the +1T, as I figured +1T would have been printed on the card or something to that effect.

I initially thought the same thing. But the card says you add +1 Toughness and that the wielder is invulnerable to only 1 attack per adventure.

While using the Dragon Shield, your Warrior adds +1 to her Toughness and, once per adventure, is invulnerable to any one attack, whatever its origin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And mine reads diffrently.

Quote:
While wearing the Dragon Shield your Warrior is invulnerable to any one attack, whatever its origins.
USE ONCE PER ADVENTURE.

None of the shields as treasures from the base set state that they act like a normal shop purchased shield it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like John, mine lacks any reference to +1T.

Oddly enough, I guess this must have been the top card of the treasure deck when it was packaged, as it's the only one I have that has the copyright text at the bottom of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! My mistake! (Boy, is my shield red!) I just looked up the original card and you are exactly right. So that must be what he means. No wonder i was so damn confused.

And if that is the case, then i agree that they did not want you to be able to add +1 Toughness like a mundane shield or they would have stated (like the Elf Armour does, but the Elf Shield does not).

What i was looking at was MY version of the card on my custom Treasure Chart and i did change it to reflect +1 Toughness!

Obviously i personally feel (or felt) that you should be able to add the +1 bonus. Nowhere in the main set does a Shield say it adds +1 Toughness. But in other items later, it does add the +1 bonus doesn't affect the "value" of the item at all.

Take, for example the Kingshield of Tilea in Catacombs of Terror. It states that it's +1 Toughness and ignores any one blow once per adventure. (sound familiar?) The item is worth 200g. The Dragon Shield (without the +1 Toughness is worth 300g).

So that is why i changed it when i did a Treasure Table.

Perhaps they intended for the +1 bonus and just didn't mention it? It doesn't mention that you can't use two-handed weapons when using the Dragon Shield either, but it is assumed you can't, right? So i say that every shield should confer a +1 bonus. And every Armour should confer a +1 Toughness as well unless it specifies a higher number. Same thing with a helmet.

(In the future, i will look at the original cards!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the treasure shields should act like a shop shield. Otherwise they are just a large amulet. You might as well strap it to your back and slap on a regular shield then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
garygnu wrote:

I initially thought the same thing. But the card says you add +1 Toughness and that the wielder is invulnerable to only 1 attack per adventure.

While using the Dragon Shield, your Warrior adds +1 to her Toughness and, once per adventure, is invulnerable to any one attack, whatever its origin.

Uh-oh. I was caught making a reference without checking the card as well. So it only cancels one attack per adventure...thanks for clearing that up. Actually, I was puzzled at your first reply. Now things are clear.

Omega2064 wrote:
I agree that the treasure shields should act like a shop shield. Otherwise they are just a large amulet. You might as well strap it to your back and slap on a regular shield then.

I don't believe you're actually suggesting the ability is usable on the back, however I wouldn't count the Dragon Shield as canceling an attack unless it were actually worn on the arm. That is the active form of wearing that a shield is intended for. Strapping it to your back is carrying it, not using it. Same for regular shields--no +1 T if it's strapped to your back.

The interpretation of the Dragon Shield's use is of course open to each group. If it doesn't give +1 T, then you must volunarily forgo the +1 Toughness bonus of a shop shield in order to use it. That would make sense against a Minotaur, but it would hurt you if you left it equipped against lesser foes in preference to a shop shield. Playing this way, you must choose in advance when to switch shields for a turn and use it, instead of always having +1 T and using the canceling ability after an expected big hit.

In the basic game, shop shields aren't yet available, so at that level no +1 T is needed. In fact, it may have been left out so as to limit the benefit. Orcs and such are less threatening if a character has a 4 or 5 Toughness. Then again, basic Warhammer Quest is depressingly difficult for beginners...maybe the +1 T interpretation isn't such a bad idea.

I see the point that the Dragon Shield could and should confer a +1 Toughness bonus. I'd say that it is a well-reasoned house rule. I can't remember, but I probably also allowed it to confer a +1 T bonus when I last played a few years back. It feels right.

A final thought, I think the +1T bonus was left out to make a character pay the gold for a shop shield, thus slowing progression a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
garygnu wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I don't believe you're actually suggesting the ability is usable on the back, however I wouldn't count the Dragon Shield as canceling an attack unless it were actually worn on the arm. That is the active form of wearing that a shield is intended for. Strapping it to your back is carrying it, not using it. Same for regular shields--no +1 T if it's strapped to your back.

In retrospect the better analogy would be an amulet. Pin it on your lapel, wear it round your neck. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.