Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth» Forums » General

Subject: Design & Development of Dungeon Command (Peter Lee articles no. 1 to no. 4) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting article on the development of some game elements by Peter Lee and Kevin Tatroe:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120606

And article no. 2 is online:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120613

And no. 3:

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120620

And no. 4:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120627#...

Edited to keep updating most recent links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Design & Development of Dungeon Command (Peter Lee article)
Very funny how Kevin thought it crazy not to have dice in a D&D skirmish game. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tatroe
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Looking back, I'm very glad I got cold feet, and we got to design through a lot of versions of the game with the die before getting to the diceless version -- I think the game ended up stronger for it in the end.

Keeping the die in for so long allowed us to experiment a bit more in other areas since we still had that attack roll grounding us in the long history of previous D&D miniatures games, and many of those experiments got the game to its final design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin, great to see you in these forums!

Could you provide some insight as to why the final rules were changed (from the playtest) to allow untapping of creatures at the end of a player's cleanup phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tatroe
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'd have to leave that to Pete to describe (and I'd imagine he'll touch on it in the next Design & Development article).

It does make for a bit cleaner of a turn structure, and definitely helps make balancing factions simpler, especially in the light of allowing war band building (when untapping drow was their schtick, it was harder to drop a single drow into a new warband, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that reason alone makes perfect sense. Thanks and looking forward to the rest of the articles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ktatroe wrote:
I'd have to leave that to Pete to describe (and I'd imagine he'll touch on it in the next Design & Development article).

It does make for a bit cleaner of a turn structure, and definitely helps make balancing factions simpler, especially in the light of allowing war band building (when untapping drow was their schtick, it was harder to drop a single drow into a new warband, for example).

I look forward to seeing the game in action!

Care to swing by Thornton to teach me? I have beer and foosball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Austria
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
With the official rulebook out I'm looking forward to give this a try the coming weekend, the drow/cormyr minis should all be in my DDM collection but:

I have to use the playtest version of the unit/tactic cards of course, so my question would be if there is a big difference to the final cards?! or can you still play a reasonable testgame with the playtest material?

I mean if it's totally broken with the current material I better keep my hands off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new preview is out:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/duncomman...

Nothing major, but a closer look at some tiles and info regarding tile quantity.

Most interesting to me is the little "treasure" patch on the tiles. This could function nicely to ensure compatibility to the adventure systems (i.e. similar to mushroom patch, bone pile or charred stone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still won't buy into the game. It's just not worth it and I don't trust WotC as they'll likely just discontinue it in a couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a strange way to look at things. Most everything goes away after a few years. We might be dead in a few years. Why deprive yourself of anything?

If you're not interested in the game, that's fine, no need to justify it one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not really sure why you don't think WotC is supporting this game. Six faction packs are already announced and I would wager a bet that ten or more get released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
Still won't buy into the game. It's just not worth it and I don't trust WotC as they'll likely just discontinue it in a couple years.

Robert, this version of D&D's skirmish game will be using pre-built factions. Hence it has fixed units that will be something akin to fantasy chess (very much like Summoner Wars) and will provide unlimited playability even without future support from Wizards. It does not lend itself to the warband building meta-game that is typically tainted with rarities and game balance issues.

Each faction will also provide some variety due to the choice of Commanders and players being able to tune the Order deck.

Of course, this doesn't automatically mean it is a game worth buying and playing but the playtest material which they released last year was very encouraging, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:

They've already paid the sunken costs of the sculpts and have the fanboy audience of the D&D adventure boardgames, the D&D 3.x and 4e folks, and anyone who's been collecting the D&D miniatures. Heck, toss in HeroScape, since HeroScapers.com will be making custom army cards for the *only* non-random fantasy miniatures prepaints on the market. and these sculpts were used for the D&D HeroScape line.

What *is* interesting is that the upcoming 5e is going *away* from miniatures. I'd like to see the sales of the D&D boardgames vs. the RPG line.

The tricky part is when WotC runs out of figures from the D&D miniatures line to make new armies. DC comes with new sculpts. Are these new sculpts made for DC, or were they sculpts made for but not used in the original D&D miniatures line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might pick up one pack if we can organise some games over BGG forums. My wife prefers coop games that don't require a lot of planning, and most of my friends are more into the RPG side of D&D.

I prefer the Goblins faction so far, but I'm hoping for a Drizzt pack. Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Catti-brie, Regis, Guenhwyvar, Montolio, Andahar, Pwent and three other dwarves or secondary characters.

Realistically, there are so many factions available and so many miniatures already made - it's easy money-making for WotC if the product sells. Support should last a long while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
I might pick up one pack if we can organise some games over BGG forums. My wife prefers coop games that don't require a lot of planning, and most of my friends are more into the RPG side of D&D.

I prefer the Goblins faction so far, but I'm hoping for a Drizzt pack. Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Catti-brie, Regis, Guenhwyvar, Montolio, Andahar, Pwent and three other dwarves or secondary characters.

Realistically, there are so many factions available and so many miniatures already made - it's easy money-making for WotC if the product sells. Support should last a long while...

The PBF potential for this game would be right up my alley. My wife doesn't like direct conflict and I have no local friends interested in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
Most interesting to me is the little "treasure" patch on the tiles. This could function nicely to ensure compatibility to the adventure systems (i.e. similar to mushroom patch, bone pile or charred stone).

If used for the adventure games, these tiles would have to be brought into play under the scenario's rules anyway, so there will be great flexibility on how the tiles can be used or special rules for them.

For the first tile, we could say ranged attacks are limited to 1 tile away. For the 2nd tile, maybe something like "All 4 tiles are considered adjacent to each other", so no kiting, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Design & Development of Dungeon Command (Peter Lee article) UPDATE
A new preview article is up:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120613

I like the idea of cards that alter attacks and defences, but without seeing it played, I find it difficult to imagine how much or little fun the game will be.
Also, without a die, I'd prefer a game system in which the more skilled/ experienced/ prepared player wins *most* of the time. It'll be interesting to see whether this will be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole without dice thing is what intrigues me the most about this game. Without it I'd probably wouldn't have looked at it. Thanks to it though I checked the rule book and it indeed looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fascinating to read how the game evolved through collaboration between different game designers.

I really like the simple yet effective card design, the full color images and caption on each card creates a great sense of immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just that I've played enough in the way of WotC's miniatures games and they have only served to get me interested before being cancelled. Hasbro doesn't need my money and I don't think the mechanics are any better than what has come before. In fact I would say the opposite, Heroscape was a better game and always will be. Even D&D Minis was better even if it had severe Magic like power creep obsolescence issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried D&D Miniatures. It was ok but I felt most of the fun was in building your own warband rather than the actual game itself. Dungeon Command (playtest version) felt very different, you warband is fixed so the focus shifts towards the decisions you will have to make during the game. The mind-game with your opponent is quite heavy since there is no luck during the combat resolution, only a lot of second-guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Design & Development article 3: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120620.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Design and Development Detail: Pete Lee is a nice guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
Design & Development article 3: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20120620.

Regards.

Thanks! I'll add it to the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.