BattleTech CCG» Forums » General

Subject: Any chance for a revival? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Vandorffy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
With Netrunner reincarnated, any chance for a revival for Battletech? In a new setting? Not Android, but what about Twilight Imperium, or WH40k?
Any rumors?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Highly unlikely. The game was produced by Wizards of the Coast, now a subsidiary of Hasbro. I believe they hold the rights to the mechanics, given that it used protected terms like "tap" as part of the mechanics. Richard Garfield might hold some rights as well.

Battletech itself went from being owned by FASA, started by Jordan Weisman, to WizKids, which was also started by Weisman. From there Topps bought out WizKids and then in 2007 Topps was acquired by the firms Madison Dearborn and Tornante (an investment company started by former longtime Disney CEO Michael Eisner).

So you're dealing with a card game whose theme is owned by one set of fat cat corporate executives and whose mechanics are likely owned by an entirely different set of executives. When we're talking about business in the US, especially with rich, high powered egos, you shouldn't expect much cooperation unless someone can present them both a plan that is a sure fire moneymaker. Otherwise, they're content with letting the IP, in this case a damn fun card game, collect dust. It's a shame, but thems the breaks. The most likely scenario is WotC resurrecting the mechanics for usage in a new game with an entirely new theme and setting...but that's just not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I'd like to see the mechanics revived as well. FUN game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I care more about the setting than I do about the mechanics. Though I do love the game, I would have zero interest in a non-Battletech version of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best CCG ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[shameless plug]

I'm a fan of the Battletech CCG, and I used it as inspiration when I created a Battletech-themed variant to the Dominion card game called Battletech: Domination. It's a deck-building game rather than a CCG, but might scratch the itch for those who those who are itching for a Battletech-themed card game. I've been working on it for a couple years now and just posted v2.0.

Here's the thread for those who are interested: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/515945

And here's a preview of what the game looks like:

[/shameless plug]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Running a Sealed Deck tournament of Battletech CCG at Gen Con this year. Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I think it could be possible, especially since we've already seen WotC's willingness to license mechanics like they did with Netrunner. There would most likely be a necessary shift in the setting, to one of the new producer's own IPs. This could probably work in the Twilight Imperium setting, using either mechs or possibly starships, or even in the Dust realm. Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath for any of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game design IP is with WoTC whereas the Battletech IP is with another company, you would need cross licensing from both ends to work this out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McEwen
United States
Ottawa Hills
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be neat if this game did get a revival. I think Cataylst Game Labs would be the most likely to do it.

BTW, from what I saw, The WOTC Star Wars TCG used quite a few of the Battletech rules in it. I remember thinking that when they were talking about how new and ground breaking Star Wars TCG was. It was a reskined (and modified) battletech.

Anyhow, just found some old cards and played a few games with a friend. The Inner Sphere has it rough... ;(

Thanks,
Duncan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.