Popular Tags: new_jersey [+] [View All]
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good bit of board gaming at Dexcon, but they are notoriously slow at posting the schedule. If you go, I would strongly suggest you stick to signing up for games on the schedule. There is always a teacher (and usually a good one) for the games, so you might get to learn some good stuff. If you're looking for open free-form gaming, I've found that Dexcon is not very good, because even if you can find opponents, it's difficult to find table space that isn't reserved for a scheduled event. Also, I've found that the tournaments are not very good (compared to WBC, EuroQuest, or PrezCon). I typically wait until the schedule comes out, see if there's games I'm interested in, and make my decision accordingly. It's not too difficult to ignore the RPG/LARP/Computer Gaming stuff if that's not your thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:
Has anyone been to DexCon in Morristown, NJ? I looked at their site, http://www.dexposure.com/home.html, and it seems like there is a lot of emphasis on RPG and LARP. I was wondering what kind of board game experience I could expect if I attend. Any input would be appreciated.

DexCon is the largest game con in NJ and the largest game con within 100 miles or more of nort NJ... and my "home town" con!

DexCon is very well run, but a bit different than many cons you have been to. There are over 1000 scheduled events at DexCon.

First of all, Board Gaming is the LARGEST track at the con. Yes, there is much RPG and LARP events, as well as CCG, Miniatures, and video gaming tracks, but Board Gaming is the largest.

As the other poster mentioned, they are slow to put up a schedule. However, once they do, you should review the schedule, make notes of what you want to play, and then upon arrival, you simply signup for the events you want. If you arrive "early", you will get into most events that you want.

Note that there is not a large open gaming track.

Hope to see you at DexCon!

Best,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our entire catalog will be played at DexCon:
- Code 777
- Confusion
- Survive: Escape From Atlantis!
- Panic Station
- Core Worlds
- Outpost
- Revolver
- Lost Temple

We also have a "Signature Event" at DexCon, which is "Space Cadets - Live!". As previously announced, this is a live, 30-person interactive version of "Space Cadets", which is one of our Essen releases this year... Should be a lot of fun...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.