Subject: Close Encounters Preview #3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
More Empire Advantages

This preview has details on more of the Empire Advantages in the game. In these articles, I'm trying to pick out advantages that are not necessarily the best or my favorite, but are representative of the types of things that you will see in the set of 25 advantages.

Fearless Race is another example of a simple, straight forward advantage.

Gifted Scientists is deceptive. At first glance it seems to be very powerful, but once you play it you realize how the extra cost of ships will slow your early build. They don't become a really good advantage until economic turn 8 or 9. Early on they are weak.

Insectoids are an example of a complete game changer. There are 5 or 6 of these game changers included in the 25 advantages. If someone wants to play a more traditional game they can be taken out and there still will be plenty of advantages to shuffle, but I like how asymmetric they can make the game. This advantage means that you won't have to pay maintenance on your SCs and DDs - fantastic, awesome! - but you also won't be able to put any attack or defense technology on them - not so good. You really do have to adopt a swarming, insect like strategy to win with them. BTW, the flavor text is a nod to my favorite Sci-Fi book, Starship Troopers.

And there are still 19 more that I haven't showed to you! Next time up, I will introduce the Alien Technology Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim for posting some teasers to my most anticipated game of the year. Empire Advantages is the expansion aspect I have been most interested in, and your previews are living up to my expectations.

I do have a question about "Insectoids." How does the reduced hull size interact with number of hits it takes to destroy a ship? I assume it still takes one hit to destroy a scout despite it having a hull size of 0, or else there isn't much point to the advantage. Likewise do Scouts still require ship yards to be built? If these questions fall outside the scope of your previews that's cool, I can probably wait a bit longer to see the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Yes, they still require one hit to destroy. Ships with a hull size of 1 that are Instectoid are counted like they are hull size 1/2 for SY capacity.

Insectoids is one of the more complicated cards so some of that detail did not fit. The rulebook contains extra information for the different cards, specific situations, interactions between advantages, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.