Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,
Inspired by SkyGazer's great uploads for OUTREACH here I thought I'd try to contribute to the cause. I have only read the rules so far but don't see any counters for neutralized StarGates in the pool (or in the counter discussion on p3 of rules).

I thought I'd try to make some. The original counters are nice in the old school way, austere. I realize now that these don't match. I may have to go back and make ones that are more plain. At any rate I offer them here for anyone who is interested. SkyGazer mentioned 5 gamers interested. Now there are six. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to dig my copy out from the Game Vault (i.e. my closet). How did the game handle the neutralized Star Gates again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked over my counter mix, and I see nothing for neutralized StarGates. StarForce 'Alpha Centauri': Interstellar Conflict in the 25th Century used simple "N" counters for both StarForces and StarGates.

I used to cut out little red celluloid squares for Neutralized, and amber squares for Disrupted.

Redmond didn't have alot of options in the counter-mix, not under Dunnigan's Austerity Principle.

Anything would be an improvement! They look good to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your counters look nice. You can also put the PV chit that is normally underneath the StarGate on top of the Gate to denote a neutralized state.

However, I usually remove the PV chit from a StarGate when it is augmented to its maximum to remind me that the hex has no further value to exploit, so it does help to have some other way to mark a neutralized gate.

Thanks for making these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
I'm going to have to dig my copy out from the Game Vault (i.e. my closet). How did the game handle the neutralized Star Gates again?

Hi! Neutralized StarGates (successfully attacked by enemy Dreadnoughts) stay on the board but belong to no one. They retain their value as a potential for whomever to restore it to an active StarGate.

So I think there's a value in a counter set of unaligned, neutralized StarGates that retain their value.

(Aside from the main point, it surprised me to read that generally StarGates don't leave the board. The only time you remove a neutralized StarGate is when its value is zero.)

I can see a play value in an enormous set of counters that include a full set of StarGates in player colors with values 0-5. It's not necessary, and it's a lot of counters, but might help speed up calculations in the game.

Oh, look, the cyberboard does something like that, if a bit crudely:

It also puts Xs over StarGates... I suppose those are augmenting...

StarGazer has already uploaded here a set of augmented StarGates (StarGates building up their own value and not available for other use that turn.)

Thank you all for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.