Subject: Expansions: Are They Coming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've been away from the BGG scene for a bit (Awful I know!) and I saw that this was coming out and I was curious...do they also plan on reprinting the expansions? It almost seems like it would be ludicrous to buy the expansions now if this was the case, but I wanted to check. Anyone know? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the nature of the Upgrade Pack, signs point to no. Most likely, they don't plan on revisiting the creatures from the First Edition, and instead will move on to new parts of Terrinoth for future content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
No one seems to know for sure and I've seen nothing over at FFG's site.
Based on the inflated prices both on eBay and online stores most people seem to think not.

This could be chicken little syndrome though. It's entirely possible they might give the expansions a facelift and re-release them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously? The God-damn base game isn't even out yet, and you're worried about expansions?!?

Ahem, pardon me. Anyway, in answer to your question, whilst I would bet my bottom dollar on new expansions coming out in fairly rapid succession, I highly doubt that any of the old ones would be either reprinted, or "converted" to the 2E format. You have the conversion kit for all the plastic, and the missions as written for 1E would be useless for 2E rules. And the effort that would be involved in "converting" the old missions into the new format would (I expect) be more profitably spent simply coming up with brand new campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
birdman37 wrote:
Seriously? The God-damn base game isn't even out yet, and you're worried about expansions?!?

Ahem, pardon me. Anyway, in answer to your question, whilst I would bet my bottom dollar on new expansions coming out in fairly rapid succession, I highly doubt that any of the old ones would be either reprinted, or "converted" to the 2E format. You have the conversion kit for all the plastic, and the missions as written for 1E would be useless for 2E rules. And the effort that would be involved in "converting" the old missions into the new format would (I expect) be more profitably spent simply coming up with brand new campaigns.

The sarcasm isn't lost on me, however I don't think his concern is "Will there be expansions?" (it is FFG after all) as much as "Is it worth seeking out the current expansions at the inflated prices (Just for the miniatures etc..) or should I wait for re-release?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have Descent v 1, along with Tomb of Ice and Well of Darkness. I started with Well of Darkness because it was the first to come out and my buddies and I never finished going through it. By the time I looked, Altar of Despair was already a pretty penny so I bought Tomb of Ice instead. Road to Legend never interested me and Sea of Blood is my next purchase since its still 30 some dollars.

As it was pointed out, I'm trying to consider whether its in my best interest to keep an eye out for a moderately high priced Altar of Despair or assume that we will see re-prints of the expansions in the future.

I had someone offer me 120 dollars for a copy of Game of Thrones (used) even after a reprint was announced, so I'm not sure if the fervor in finding these expansions is justified or if its just "I gotta have it now that I can't!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't get it.

We *know* FFG's gonna release expansions, and they're gonna have more mini's (and, no doubt, quests). Seems a bit more OCD than economical to buy the previous expansions just so you can have more monsters and no quests.

So anyone have an Altar of Despair they'd trade for a Sea of Blood and some sweeteners? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Yeah, I don't get it.

We *know* FFG's gonna release expansions, and they're gonna have more mini's (and, no doubt, quests). Seems a bit more OCD than economical to buy the previous expansions just so you can have more monsters to play the *same* quests from the base set.

So anyone have an Altar of Despair they'd trade for a Sea of Blood and some sweeteners? laugh

Yeah I agree with you there. I was under the impression that each expansion added a decent amount of "content" in the sense that they added replayability to the game in pretty awesome ways..thats the only reason I considered purchasing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
why would FFG rehash the expansions if they didnt rehash the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
Road to Legend never interested me and Sea of Blood is my next purchase since its still 30 some dollars.

Think HARD before getting SoB, the sea encounters are in NO way fun (at least no one in my group thinks that, not even the OL).
Now, this is of course only one groups opinion, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Also, I THINK from reading here on the forum most people agree SoB is pretty unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
MuRRe wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:
Road to Legend never interested me and Sea of Blood is my next purchase since its still 30 some dollars.

Think HARD before getting SoB, the sea encounters are in NO way fun (at least no one in my group thinks that, not even the OL).
Now, this is of course only one groups opinion, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Also, I THINK from reading here on the forum most people agree SoB is pretty unbalanced.

Have to agree with this. Sad to say that Road to Legend is definitely the way to go if you want the Advanced Campaign, Sea of Blood is simply broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
MuRRe wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:

Have to agree with this. Sad to say that Road to Legend is definitely the way to go if you want the Advanced Campaign, Sea of Blood is simply broken.

Well... we should be seeing a final FAQ update before long here... which will hopefully repair some of the issued with SoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Kartigan wrote:
MuRRe wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:

Well... we should be seeing a final FAQ update before long here... which will hopefully repair some of the issued with SoB.

As you probably know the penultimate FAQ was released yesterday and everyone has 2 weeks of getting any final questions included in the final version.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3363

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
And just because someone should say it: sea of blood sea encounters are awesome, but also really really broken. Our group, who just finished a 2-year ongoing sea of blood campaign, really loved the sea and island levels, in spite of everything that's wrong with those levels. Oh, and cannons are useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.