Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What's the next hot mechanic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game mechanics seem to go in trends or cycles. An obvious recent one is Deck / Pool Building, which exploded after Dominion. But there's others too like Cooperative Play which has seen a big surge, or Worker Placement. What do you think the next big one will be?

The two wildly popular games that I've seen with new* mechanics have been 7 Wonders and Risk Legacy. But I haven't seen a slew of new Card Drafting games, nor any more games like Risk Legacy where you get to progressively open up new parts of the game.

For me, I think Risk Legacy captures some of what was so compelling / addictive about CCGs (Collectible Card Games), that you continually get to open up new stuff. But Risk Legacy took that idea and made it manageable -- every player doesn't have to buy their own packets to open up, it's part of the game and everyone does it together. Imbalances created by the new cards, always a potential problem in CCGs, are constrained by the game and the fact that they are available to everyone. I'd love to see more games like this.

* Yes I know that 7 Wonders and Risk Legacy didn't invent these mechanics and there are precedents. I'm using them as the wildly-popular recent examples.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
33 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the mechanic. But I suspect the theme might be pasted on.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I like the mechanic. But I suspect the theme might be pasted on.


I find its the actual play that matters more.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to actually attempt to contribute or anything, but might the dice-based mechanics from Mage Knight and Seasons be something of a mechanic that might be new-ish?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
FlowerFall. Make it rain!



Just think of the possible applications.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So much for this thread. zombie

But to go back to the OP ... I have no idea! Hopefully there won't be a hot new mechanic (or a redicovered one). If I had a preference I'd love to see more games take on more serious spatial/positional elements. I recently played a few games of Taluva and the subtle spatial interactions on the board are great. I'd like more games explore these abstract-like qualities while intergrating them with other mechanisms too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Geosphere wrote:
ousgg wrote:
I like the mechanic. But I suspect the theme might be pasted on.


I find its the actual play that matters more.


Might be so but the plastic components detract from the overall product.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
ousgg wrote:
I like the mechanic. But I suspect the theme might be pasted on.


I find its the actual play that matters more.


Might be so but the plastic components detract from the overall product.


I suspect I'd need to read the manual in any case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
ousgg wrote:
I like the mechanic. But I suspect the theme might be pasted on.


I find its the actual play that matters more.


Might be so but the plastic components detract from the overall product.

Yes, but would you have preferred wood?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crappity-crap-crap. I knew I should not have used "Hot" in the title.

benfriedberg1981 wrote:
Not to actually attempt to contribute or anything, but might the dice-based mechanics from Mage Knight and Seasons be something of a mechanic that might be new-ish?


Those sound good although I haven't played either! I love dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
So much for this thread. zombie

But to go back to the OP ... I have no idea! Hopefully there won't be a hot new mechanic (or a redicovered one). If I had a preference I'd love to see more games take on more serious spatial/positional elements. I recently played a few games of Taluva and the subtle spatial interactions on the board are great. I'd like more games explore these abstract-like qualities while intergrating them with other mechanisms too.


Ouch, spatial games like Taluva are not my thing. I'm even terrible at Carcassonne (you have to rotate the pieces in your head and I can't do it well), and don't even start with me on Pueblo. There will always be spatial games in different combinations, I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coinflipping. Combining both dexterity and pressing your luck.

Or Pogs. Everyone loves pogs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hornung
United States
Mission
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Loaded Dicearrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Live ammunition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Coinflipping. Combining both dexterity and pressing your luck.

Or Pogs. Everyone loves pogs.


Clout Fantasy did this but it didn't really take off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything seems to be hybrid these days. Just like genres in the video game industry, novel mechanics in board games are rare.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that I would like to see some of what makes Taluva such a cool little game used in other games. What I love about Taluva is the organic feel of the game as it progresses. One of the things that I think most people agree makes a great game is the replayability of a game. And one of the things that stops a lot of games from having that great replayability is the static nature of most game boards. If you play most games enough times that use a board you will figure out the "best" way to play the board and it is a race to see who can exploit that. Take Chicago Express fro example, not only is the map static but the different trains always start from the same locations in the same order. So what ends up happening is the first few rounds end up playing out the same way every game.

I would love to see different ways of utilizing modular tiles or boards to create new boards and looks every time you play. There are some other games that use this but what Taluva does really well is take it 3D.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Everything seems to be hybrid these days. Just like genres in the video game industry, novel mechanics in board games are rare.

Maybe shoving together all the best existing game mechanics will be the new hot game mechanic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Everything seems to be hybrid these days. Just like genres in the video game industry, novel mechanics in board games are rare.

Maybe shoving together all the best existing game mechanics will be the new hot game mechanic.


I'm actually SUPER interested in that game...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Everything seems to be hybrid these days. Just like genres in the video game industry, novel mechanics in board games are rare.

Maybe shoving together all the best existing game mechanics will be the new hot game mechanic.


I'm actually SUPER interested in that game...

The turducken of Euros!

(More: http://opinionatedgamers.com/2012/04/21/dale-yu-report-from-...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Mind control/psychic ablities. Trust me. I've seen the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i think some should invent a game where you roll a numbered cube and move that many sp... hey boobs!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McDaid
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
I'm suprised there's not more games using the card fanning mechanic from Innovation. Tons of potential there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.