16 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sensor Hack. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McGrath
msg tools
A question about Sensor hack.

So this card allows me to use my sensor vault in place of my weapons when I make an attack. I assume target ship means my own sensors and not the ship I am firing upon. Second who can't play a card? I assume its the target of the person I am firing at?

P.S

Is this considered an attack or sensor test

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite. You attack a ship using that ship's sensor rating against its shields. Only the target gets to play a card but you would still roll a die and add it to the target's sensors while he rolls for shields normally.

Thematically you are causing the target's sensors to feedback onto the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
So Target on the card means the one you are attacking? would that not allow a lot of screw you cards to work on other ships? like lowering their shields or turning off their weapons?. I thought a card had to say it affects another ship to be able to do so..

I am really confused now so Target can mean any ship? My own ship, their ship?

So I could play an OP card on their ship before combat and say power to the sensors, then play sensor hack in combat? I can really mess with other ships like that? I heard conflicting things about being able to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the card text:

Sensor hack wrote:
Scan Action: Instead of scanning, attack an enemy ship in this location or any adjacent location with a Weapons rating equal to the target ship's current Sensors. Only the target may play a card in this combat.

Nothing on the card allows you to change the power settings on the target ship. You just chose an enemy ship in you location or an adjacent location. You then attack that ship with its own sensors. The other player can respond with a combat card then you both roll dice to see if the ship was damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Target always means enemy, for all intents and purposes. It doesn't mean your ships

corran006 wrote:
I know but does this not create a problem either other cards that say target ship. I think there is another one that is called all power to the sensors or something. it says something like target ships goes to dial with the highest sensor power.

Sorry I don't have the game myself I just played with a fried a few times. So could I not exploit the target ship in the card text and make that ship weaken its shields.

second, when i used sensor hack My friend used some other card to reduce my sensors to zero is that going to be allowed too with the wording of target ship.

maybe I am missing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
Alright thanks.. that changes a lot that I can do with some cards I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Curran
Canada
flag msg tools
OKAY! Here are the cards wordings for three different Cards that are doing different but similar things. These are the complete wordings of the cards except for flavour text.
--------------------------------------------------
"All Power to Sensors"
OPS INTERRUPT: Turn this ship's dial to the highest Sensors Rating in it's current alert Level, and give it +1 Sensors until end of the turn.

------------------------------------------
"Sensor Pulse"
COMBAT(Sensors 1): Your opponent's Combat card has no effect in this combat

OPS INTERRUPT(Sensors 1):Target ship in this or adjascent location receives -5 Sensors

------------------------------------------
"Sensor Hack"
OPS SCAN ACTION:Instead of scanning, attack an enemy ship in this location or any adjacent location with a Weapons reating equal to the target ship's current Sensor's. Only the target may play a card in this combat.
-----------------------------------------------------

Okay Chris so we established that you can't play "All Power to Sensors" on my ship when I get attacked by Ferengi Explorers when we are opponents.You can only play command cards on your own ships unless they say otherwise.

Yesterday you Played Scensor Hack.I played Sensor Pulse as an Ops to give my ship -5 sensors to reduce your weapon attack which is based on my scensors. The question to everyone is is what I did legal? Could I have only played Scensor Pulse as a combat in this situation because Sensor Hack says "attack an enemy ship".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Curran
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
Target always means enemy, for all intents and purposes. It doesn't mean your ships

okay that is confusing me. I thought target is the ship being attacked. (And Agressor is the ship Attacking.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Chad wrote:
Quote:

okay that is confusing me. I thought target is the ship being attacked. (And Agressor is the ship Attacking.)

I was trying to make it simple for your friend as most of what he said was, in my opinion, incoherent. Target cards are the only cards that can be played on opposing ships, as all other cards automatically are directed at your ship(s). Obviously wording will make things case by case, but if you've read the rulebook then it's pretty easy to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
corran006 wrote:
Just more confused now.
Sensor Hack"

OPS SCAN ACTION:Instead of scanning, attack an enemy ship in this location or any adjacent location with a Weapons reating equal to the target ship's current Sensor's. Only the target may play a card in this combat.

So this is done before combat starts and the other player who is the target can only play a card in combat?

Playing this card uses the action of your ship and starts a combat. Since you already played a card only the defending player (the target) can play a card.

Command cards are covered on pages 25-27 of the rules which can be downloaded from Wizkids site. I also suggest downloading the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
Alright I guess that clears up that. with Target ship and this ship. Thanks.

I am also having some issues understanding When and how Operations cards are used in the game. I know you can't use them during combat and that some of them have conditions that must be meet before they can be played.

I think they can also be using for system tests as long as its not direct combat? The ones without a condition can be played at any time but must be done with an action done by myself or the other player.

is any of this correct and am I a missing something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Operations abilities are situational, and almost always specify for what type of action or in what situation they can be used. Also, as you mentioned, they can't be used in combat.

You (and your opponent) can play one (and only one) card during a system test. So, you can play an Operations card during a system test, provided the card you want to play pertains to that type of test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Operations abilities are situational, and almost always specify for what type of action or in what situation they can be used. Also, as you mentioned, they can't be used in combat.

You (and your opponent) can play one (and only one) card during a system test. So, you can play an Operations card during a system test, provided the card you want to play pertains to that type of test.

To add to this, or clarify really, ops cards are the only type of cards that can POSSIBLY be played outside of an action/test. Not all of them can be, but of the two types of cards (obviously not including crew), they are the only ones that even have the possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
bchlax944 wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

To add to this, or clarify really, ops cards are the only type of cards that can POSSIBLY be played outside of an action/test. Not all of them can be, but of the two types of cards (obviously not including crew), they are the only ones that even have the possibility.

How do I know which cards can be played outside an action or test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common sense and a grasp of the english language. I don't mean for that to sound as rude as it does, but if a card says "OPS: Movement - instead of moving, add a permanent +1 to shields", then that is rather self explanatory. The OPS cards have the least ambiguity of all things in the game. You do what the card says. Cards that say Interrupt on them are a good indication that they are played out of tests as well. I'd really encourage you to read the rulebook, specifically the 2 page section about Command Cards.

Enjoy your weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
Well do. Thanks for the advice. I already assumed some cards were like that but I think I was told I could not play in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.